Possible cure for cancer?

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Kittamaru, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/228583-Scientists-cure-cancer-but-no-one-takes-notice

If this is true... and I understand that is a HUGE if... then what can be done to get this the attention it truly needs?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

On first glance it sounds like bunkum because there are basic mestakes in the article. Mitochondria are NOT cells, they are organells which reside IN the cells. also from what i understand about cancer drugs (not my speciality i admit) there target is stopping cell division which is why there are so many side effects

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

The American Cancer Society says:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

The OP cite is off base. The University of Alberta page dated 2007 at least gives an correct statement of the discovery.

The American Cancer Society article I posted above cites a recent paper, here is the abstract:

It seems that the issue is no different that any other case, it takes time to get from discovery to production of a drug.

I also think it's irrational to assume that a university medical project that produces a cancer cure is not going to attract funding and investment from all kinds of interested parties. Obviously they got funded between 2007 and 2010 when the results were published. So I think we're not getting an accurate picture from the original source.

8. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

9. Rav Valued Senior Member

10. Rav Valued Senior Member

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

High intensity focused ultrasound or HIFU is a new type of cancer treatment. The treatment is given using a machine that gives off high frequency sound waves. These waves deliver a strong beam to a specific part of a cancer. Some cells die when this high intensity ultrasound beam is focused directly onto them.

Doctors have been interested in this type of treatment for nearly 50 years. But it is only in recent years that they have been seriously investigating its use in treating different types of cancer. One advantage of this type of treatment is that because it only uses sound waves to kill the cancer cells, it doesn’t have as many side effects as other types of cancer treatments already in use.

Doctors hope to use HIFU to kill cancer cells without damaging healthy cells. Chinese researchers were the first to lead the way using this treatment. They have done trials treating nearly 5,000 people with many different types of cancers. Researchers in Europe are now doing trials to find out if HIFU could be used for people unable to have surgery to remove their cancer. But they are not sure yet how well this will work.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8sJ4ePUqfxAbFPY7g&sig2=7o6bnmF6X37y0EMprrktPQ

A new, finely tuned light-based treatment kills cancer cells in mice without harming the tissue around them, and could conceivably used to treat a wide range of human cancers, researchers say. The therapy is much more precise than other light-therapy methods attempted to date, and it has the potential to replace chemotherapy and radiation.

Researchers at the National Cancer Institute coupled cancer-specific antibodies with a heat-sensitive dye that damages cells when exposed to specific wavelengths of light. The antibodies recognize proteins on the exterior of cancer cells, so they would easily and accurately seek out their quarry, leaving healthy cells alone. Once bound to the cancer, the antibodies’ piggyback heat-sensitive molecule could be activated to do its job.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...y29JDJN30cdlFB2-g&sig2=2aLDR7RO8roZHS8LjjCtdg

12. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

They are trying to avoid this:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!