World's most powerful x-ray laser did what?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by ricardonest, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricardonest Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Yazata Valued Senior Member

The Mother of All Microscopes

This laser isn't just powerful and it doesn't just emit coherent X-rays. (That's amazing enough.) It's also fast. Really, really fast.

Here's something that Stanford University's Applied Physics department was saying about Ultrafast Science on a 2009 page that no longer exists. It's so incredibly cool that I'll quote parts of it now. The blue highlighting is by me.

(and even more amazing than that...)

Here's the Photon Ultrafast Laser Science and Engineering (PULSE) laboratory at SLAC, the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pulse_institute/WhatIsPulse.shtml

They say (blue highlighting by me)...

LCLS is their Linac Coherent Light Source. A description of what they are up to can be found at:

http://lcls.slac.stanford.edu/WhatIsLCLS_1.aspx

LCLS isn't exactly your old tabletop microscope. It's two miles long! It's the old SLAC linear accelerator, that as we speak is being reconstructed into the mother of all X-ray laser microscopes.

Here's a photograph of just one small part of it (the "undulators" that make the electron beam cough up coherent x-rays):

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Here's an overview of the whole operation:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Just think that when a sun explodes it creates over 100 million degrees F of heat!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.