Christopher Hitchens Dies, Age 62

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by GeoffP, Dec 16, 2011.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Dear God, or not-God.

I'll miss his wit, his objectivity and his style. I was looking forward to yet more decades of his work; being well satisfied with his system so far, I could only imagine how much better it might become. I suppose the reactionaries got what they wished for; unfortunately for them, it is a hollow victory indeed. Hitchens' ideas and thinking live on, in all of us who received them.

http://news.yahoo.com/christopher-hitchens-militant-pundit-dies-62-052041896.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

He argued that the concept of god or a supreme being is a totalitarian belief that destroys individual freedom, and that free expression and scientific discovery should replace religion as a means of teaching ethics and defining human civilization. He wrote at length on atheism and the nature of religion in his 2007 book God Is Not Great.
    From wiki

Good argument. Certainly a far cleverer opponent of Religion than the far more famous atheist dilettante, Dawkins could produce.
    I would like to read his critique of Mother Theresa sometime.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

He certainly enjoyed being controversial. Never liked Dawkins. Reptillian feel to the man.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

We knew it was coming, but it's sad just the same. I'll be raising some Johnny Walker black to you, Mr. Hitchens, you will be greatly missed.

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I'll pray for him.

It'll piss him off, which would have made him happy.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  10. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Someone has to take the counterpoint, he did it well.

In his memory, I will meditate on the eventual fall of the great religions. :buddha:

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Still nothing about Hitchens on CNN's website, WTF?

Edit: It's there, but only on the international version. I don't understand that.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

When I am dying, I am going to convert to Scientology. It is better one of them, than one of us going...

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

My introduction to Hitchens was his book God is not great. Since then, I have read more of his work and his autobiography Hitch 22.

I don't agree with everything Hitch stood for or wrote, but he had good style and clear writing. He knew how to make an argument and he stood by what he believed. He was true to himself, and generally seemed like a good guy.

It's a pity to lose his voice. Vale Christopher.

14. river

just a great shame

a loss of a voice of reason , for all

in this emotional , religious times we live in

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  15. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Well, we knew it was going to happen.
    I liked him.
    I like difficult people.

16. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

He was a rare and great polemicist who (usually) stood on the right side and didn't give much of a fuck about what came after.

17. Bells Staff Member

"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."

Christopher Hitchens

Rest in peace Mr Hitchens. May your voice continue to resonate through the ages to come.

:m:

18. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It's really kind of scary when people younger than me die!

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Me too

Dear Mr Hitchens one can only hope that you are now safely in Mother Teresa's care

21. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Hullo, trolling.

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Who knows? Maybe we're better off without him.

The world is diminished by the passing of St. Christopher. Diminished, that is, by exactly one pathetic drunk who made a living as a professional asshole. I see no reason why we should pretend he was anything other than an embittered bastard with a literary gift that allowed him to project his personal insecurities onto the world around him. Indeed, I never much liked the guy from the first time I heard of him, and I must admit that he was always less repugnant when he was clearly drunk because then, at the very least, he had an excuse for his atrocious, hateful behavior.

On the other hand, there's a reason to raise a glass. If a pathetic, drunken, embittered asshole can actually manage to make a living being exactly that, well, at least he was smart and capable enough to make a living being a professional pathetic, drunken, embittered asshole. And, well, you know. I'm an American. In this society, that sort of transformative personal exploitation is admirable.

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Hitchens, by all reports, was a prodigious drinker but never a drunk. Apparently he had an amazing capacity for operating quite normally after consuming large amounts of alcohol.