My journey from Atheism To Belief in God.

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by kwhilborn, Dec 7, 2011.

1. kwhilborn Banned Banned

My journey from Atheism To Belief in God.

I grew up in a non religious household, and never attended church in my life. I still do not attend church.

I now believe in god, but there are not many religions I would give credence to.

I have always been an avid reader, and it was not until I was 17 years old that I picked up an old book by Harold Sherman about ESP.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Make-ESP-Work-You/dp/0449212025
    (if anyone considers the book link spam I will delete it.)

Somewhere in that book was a story about how the author and a friend engaged in regular psychic experiments. The sender would transmit thoughts between 2am and 3am while the receiver was in a time frame close to when REM would normally be.
    (Altering dreams has been one successful application of telepathy with success)
    -Having an interest in trying this I thought I would attempt to contact a girl I knew who had vanished from our circle of friends. She had seemed to drop off the planet, and nobody had heard from her in 3-4 months.
    -I stayed up late till 2am and visualized her sitting in front of me facing me. I spoke these words, "(her name here), (my name here) misses you very much, get in touch!". I repeated them to my imaginary friend for 1 hour as the book had suggested.
    -This was done on a Monday night. On Friday a letter showed up from Rochester New York. I live in Toronto Canada across the lake from her and in a different country.
    -The letter was cryptic at the beginning saying stuff like "you probably do not know who this is from", and "we went to a Toga party together", etc.
    -At the bottom of the first page of the letter was a sentence that forever changed my life. She stated,"Last night I had a dream about you that prompted me to write".
    -It seemed like a very weird fluke, and I was anxious to repeat the experiments, and was able to. Friends also replicated the test.
    -This was in a pre-computer era, so I sought answers at every library I could find. My university had one of the better "occult" sections, however the answers I was hoping for I wanted to come from science.
    -Pre-internet there was no way to realize that telepathy was such a taboo in the science community, and I was always looking for books and theories that made sense.

I had science majors in University and am a licensed Engineer. I have participated and volunteered many hours towards the study of the mind.

I developed the only method for practising intuition in the world. I probably raise a few eyebrows stating that, but it is true. I do not wish this to be considered spam, but you can practice your intuition for free at this link to verify what I just stated.

http://www.choicedowsing.com/mind_research_institute/intuitivepractice/colorpage.php
    If you do click on above link choose color, and go to bottom of the page and click continue. Someone already was confused at this page.
    (there is no money to practice intuition. I do not normally state these things about myself on Sciforums but it is topic applicable. If a moderator considers this spam or self promotion I will remove the link.)

If you believe in mind power, you may really like that intuition website. I am very serious when I say it is unique, and works. For the record being intuitive does not have to based on PSI powers. It can just be based on subconscious knowledge, as is this website.

Let's just assume I have been involved with more psychic experiments than most people you will ever meet. I have witnessed mathematical anomalies with experiments I have been involved with and although we cannot show how telepathy exists we can show probabilities that telepathy exists, and oddly enough precognition as well. I am used to the Sciforum trolls so I will state here I am not going to turn this thread into one where I link statistics about telepathy experiments. If you have an interest do it yourself.

- So now here I am with the internet, and I am much older. I am now mildly disabled and spend my time writing science fiction, and maintaining some of my websites. I am in my mid forties. A long way from that curious 17 year old I once was.

- I still cannot find a theory to fit how a message can go from person A to person B telepathically.
    - Most attempts to find a theory of how telepathy is possible is short lived. If you initiate discussions on Forums you are written off as a "woo-woo", and there still are no textbooks explaining the how/why of it.
    -Fortunately there are venues now to have intelligent discussions and read theories. There is more acceptance for PSI events than I knew, and research is constantly moving forward (just not any on Sciforums).

Now no matter what theory I entertain it must follow at least 1 rule. It must allow for thought transference between 2 people. It is not a popular rule for theories.

I'd like to comment that trolls on this subject, and the ones who yell "hogwash" and "woo-woo" are within their right. This is one of those topics. I would like to add that I feel sorry for these people/trolls. It must be very sad to not have seen what I have seen. I imagine I would be skeptical as well if I lived a life where I had not been involved first hand with telepathic research.

How limiting their belief system must be. Very harsh.

Now I must look at another thing. If two people are connected then everyone is connected. It becomes like a zen thing. we are all one, but are we?

Does god know of every sparrow that falls in the forest because he is every sparrow that falls in the forest?

Does mankind form a mass consciousness of which god is a sum of all parts plus a tiny bit more. Do we live in some sort of holographic Universe where thoughts can create? I'm open for suggestions.

At this point not only do I believe in god, but I believe we can be reincarnated until we achieve the experiences and vibrational level to move on. I believe we are all a part of god, and that originally god became (split personalities) to experience things. How boring just to sit in an empty universe.

Like I said. I have been forced to look beyond conventional explanations, while many here are happy with their own views.

I do not endorse any religion, however I might endorse some sort of new age religion based on "law of attraction", or prayer power.

But...

I did go from being an atheist to believing in god, and that was the just of my journey.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ughaibu Registered Senior Member

I dont understand, from your story, why you believe in a god. If you gave a reason, for why you think that the possibility of controlled, successfully telepathy, entails the existence of a god, I missed it. Do you have a reason?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Anytime somebody says:

"I am the only person in the world who does/knows x", my bullshit meter starts pegging to the right.

Maybe that's not exactly what you meant. So how does this fit in with comparative religion?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kwhilborn Banned Banned

@ ughaibu,
    this part was maybe unclear.
    I meant that I cannot entertain theories that do not entertain mass connection, and any theories that have been proposed that do entail a mass connection make a god/universe/allthatis seem possible.

@ Aqueous Id,
    If you are referring to my intuition test, and how I say I am the only person in the world to think of this. I stand behind that and gave a link to that test.

If you can find any google or other reference to any test in the world in any country that even sounds the same I will retract that statement.

I am saying that my now solidified belief in telepathy cannot let me look at theories that disallow the unified consciousness of man, and that is how telepathy relates to comparative religion.

If you are saying I am the only person in the world to witness telepathy or to have been swayed by the probabilities, then that is untrue.

I believe anybody can replicate telepathy (especially dream telepathy). It is not hard to do. Start off experimenting with friends and family trying to influence silly little things, and then get more serious and start logging your hits and misses. It is not rocket science. If your interest becomes increased look to organizations in your city to volunteer.

8. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

So is there a scientific reason why telepathy could work? Like in all situations when something like this happens you are baffled, so you think "is this God?" For there is no logical reason how molecules creating the conciousness in the person doing the "Praying" gets his prayers answered in the manner he describes. There is chance but chance seems too little at the time.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

@kwhilborn You sent me a link to your intuition improver but it seemed like guessing Red or Black in Poker machines, so I have given up on that. Was there any point to this?

10. kwhilborn Banned Banned

I believe science will explain it all Robbittybob1. I so far conclude that all mankind must be connected somehow, and would like some explanations as to how.

I enjoy reading people like Brian Josephson on that topic.
    http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~bdj10/
    http://sms.cam.ac.uk/media/871489

@ robbitybob1,

regarding the link in the first post: you must enlarge the page and click continue (at bottom of page) once you have selected a color. lol

11. ughaibu Registered Senior Member

None of which demonstrates that the possibility of controlled, successfully telepathy, entails the existence of a god. In short, still no reason.

12. kwhilborn Banned Banned

@ ughaibu,

Yes. I suppose you are correct, however the very least you can (if telepathy is real) assume is that all of mankind is connected together by something. Try going forth with that knowledge and come to atheist conclusions. It would be harder.

There would need to be something capable of carrying thought from person to person, and intertwining our collective consciousness. This something would also be capable of carrying thoughts. Could it be a consciousness all its own?

If you were to accept telepathy as a reality then there is some other pretty big assumptions that would have to be made.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  13. ughaibu Registered Senior Member

It would be neither harder nor easier, there is now and would still be, in the case that telepathy was established, no reason to suppose gods to be anything other than characters in works of fiction.
    You haven't given a reason to suppose that reliable telepathy entails the existence of a god. So this thread doesn't function as an explanation of your "journey from atheism to a belief in god". Maybe you have reasons for believing in god, but you haven't given them, and maybe your story about telepathy is interesting, but it's an independent matter.

14. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

My bullshit meter also went upwards but why? I suppose its the suspicion that here we have a bible puncher looking for a reason to promote his (or her) own interests. I did say suspicion, if the person is genuine, ok, but a persons belief is a rather personal item and to have to advertise it is to seek influence over others.

A god and religion, as I always say, is the need to justify the reason for, not to explain the reason. But, its been said in here a million times, and I am not going on ............

15. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

So what would you call the "combined consciousness connecting all things in the Universe"? What would you call it? Could it be simply be "God" for it feels like an aspect you would attibute to God. The all knowing aspect that comes with "Combined conciousness".
    Have you got a name for such a state? Do you think it is possible to have such a state?

16. ughaibu Registered Senior Member

Panpsyche.
    Still, panpsyche.
    There are black and white soccer balls, do you conclude from this that zebra crossings are soccer balls? Obviously that some object has an attribute does not entail that the attribute is the object.
    So, you think that telephones speak?!?
    You haven't specified a state.
    Before I can answer that, you'll at least need to specify the state.

You asked a lot of questions, none to the point.

17. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Does panpsyche exist? That was the state I was talking about, but it had to been your terminology.

18. ughaibu Registered Senior Member

I see no reason to think so.

19. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

So if we could prove to you it happens, how would your mind comprehend it?
    Everyone is pyschically connected, those alive, those that have died, even possibily those yet to be born. Tell me in the hypothetical, how would you rationalise that, if it was proven to be true?

20. ughaibu Registered Senior Member

I dont know, but it is irrelevant. Asking me questions, is not giving me reasons. Do you have any reason to suppose that the reality of telepathy entails the existence of god?
    If not, say so.

21. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

No I was asking you to explain the reality of telepathy without you having to resort to the word "God". What type of mechanism would we need to explain it?

22. ughaibu Registered Senior Member

I know. I have now had enough, you have offered no reason to suppose that the reality of telepathy entails the existence of god.
    Case closed.

23. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Case re-opened for I never claimed it was mediated by God. So why should I have to provide you "that the reality of telepathy entails the existence of god".
    You might want that, but we were working out how telepathy could be explained by an atheist, for they would be unlikely to use the word God. Yet you wanted me to use the word God to you. That is two faced in my opinion.:shrug: