Has any New Science originated in Sciforums?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Robittybob1, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Has any New Science originated in Sciforums?

Has the forum had any success in finding out something new, assisted in the development of a new idea?

What do you use the forum for? Does it help you learn and understand science better?

Discuss the successes please.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

I almost did a research project about online community interactions using Sciforums and thescienceforum.com, but I didn't complete it.

But that's off topic.
    Sciforums, and most other online communities, are primarily about social interaction.
    It's not a place where you expect New Science to be made... but I'm not sure that there's any single place where New Science is made.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

Why would you think that any new science comes out of here? This is an internet chat site. The level of ignorance and stupidity here is probably greater than that in the general population.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

That is what I was wanting to know. Is there any point in it? You spend a lot of time on here too correcting people (putting your spoke in). You are not everyone's favourite, you are a bit of a troll, but somehow they let you carry on.
    Why do you go to all this trouble?

I was thinking couldn't the combined intellect of the forum be greater than an idividual, and if it was some "new science" idea may result.

8. kwhilborn Banned Banned

I think such a thought is almost laughable. No original thought could be posted without it (The Topic) being redirected to the Cesspool or Fringe.

Once it is in the fringe there is a slew of people who dwell there just to jump on and make fun of any fringe theories.

"Where's the proof?" Or just plain old "There's no arguing with a crank". The level of stupididty in here is probably greater than that in the general population.

Alex G says that meaning he thinks he is smarter than everyone else, and I say it meaning the trolls are stupid for wasting their time on this forum.

Anybody researching anything however will find our opinions on the matter in google if they are looking hard enough.

9. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

I was thinking of the incredible power of Wikipedia. Combined knowledge, But what about "combined thought", like a "Super Brain" as compared to a super computer or an array of radio telescopes working together? Why can't this be done?

10. kwhilborn Banned Banned

I would differentiate between combined knowledge and combined thought.
    I am sure sciforums has probably helped someone do something, if only for its value as a search in google.

combined thought
    http://www.alltm.org/pages/crime-arrested.html

11. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

We are sharing thoughts all the time. As long as you can read and attempt to understand the post it is a type of combined thought process.

12. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

My science gets used everywhere Stephen Hawking was using it last week. I've also seen Brian Cox use it in the past. Science News reveal a lot of my stuff as new science. Stephen Hawking altered a part of it though, where I used Negative Mass he used energy, which is a bit of a mistake for him, because the guy digging the hole was the energy, not the hole itself.

13. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

I heard about your 3 legged animal too. The reason it had 3 legs was that you had pulled the other one.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I share some ideas I discover here with my scientist friend, which has stimulated some experiments. I would tell you about them but the applications are somewhat trade secrets.

15. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Well that is bloody good isn't it. Plagiarism and we are not getting any royalties!

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Well some of you aren't US citizens, and this technology is restricted to within the country.

17. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Do you mean Iran? Helping them build a bomb!

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's not that.

19. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Thank God for that! When I see your avatar I was thinking you might be a terrorist not a tourist passing through.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If you read more carefully, you will see that the organization is a US one, and the technology is limited to there because it has national security implications. I don't get any classified info of course, but it's still somewhat sensitive. I happen to work in the footwear industry, and I like to think about how some of these technologies can be used in shoes.

21. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

yeah, I always wanted some rocket boots!

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Soon... LOL

...more like bulletproof.

23. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

I'd need some of them. I'm always shooting myself in the foot!