Why do we resist dying

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by lifeq, Nov 22, 2011.

1. lifeq Registered Member

I believe we are afraid of the unknown and no living organism knows for a fact what happens. We see our friend and family dye but we don't know what happens. I think all organisms mate in hope one day they will overcome what we failed: dying. It is an question no one can answer: what happens to our mind, our soul, where do we go why can't we live forever.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Our mind dies and we go nighty-night.

There is no such thing as a soul.

Most of us go into the ground or up the smoke stack

There is no evolutionary point in living forever.

Welcome the the forum, this should probably go into the philosophy or religion folder.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kwhilborn Banned Banned

Evolution might not propagate a species that did not fear death

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Yeah...the DNA just wants to keep going, we're its' peripatetic xerox machines

...Live...make copies...live...make copies...

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Everyone can answer that in their own opinions about how they view what death means to each of us. We do know a few things for certain about death. Death is going to happen to everyone its just when, where and how it happens we don't know for the most part. We also know that your physical body will decay and become part of the soil, air or water as it does so. You can use cryogenics to slow that decay but even then your body still will slowly rot. Your mind ceases to function and your brain decays away just like everything else does.

All our knowledge merely helps us to die a more painful death than animals that know nothing.

Maurice Maeterlinck

Do not fear death so much, but rather the inadequate life.

BERTOLT BRECHT

9. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Yeah - wonderful. But you are right.

Shall we go quietly into the night, or fight with all our might? Such as every other living organism on the planet has the innate sense to do...

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

"We" really can't make that choice in most instances but must take it as it comes to us.

11. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

A lot of old people don't.
    People do reach a stage of being ready to die.

In young people, the opposite happens.
    They think it is impossible for them to die.
    If you ask a child, whether they think they will die,
    a lot of them will find some reason why they won't.

(Probably best to choose a child that you actually know, and with its parent's permission, or you may get arrested)

12. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

I am continuously amazed at how diametrically opposite POV's can sway me back and forth here on Sci.

You are also absolutely right Captain...

13. Pineal Banned Banned

Evolutionary point is an oxymoron. Evolutionary theory is precisely not teleological. In the stochastic process of evolution traits and desires can arise that may or may not be good. There is no evolutionary point to pie eating contests either.

14. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

i don't care as long as i dye a nice colour. paisley for instance.

15. Pineal Banned Banned

This is absurd, sir. The elderly, and victims of disease and accidents may dye, but they certainly do not develop patterns popular in the 60s.

16. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

That's why I'm going to have my body encased in a 1" thick titanium steel capsule to make sure I don't reincarnate in ANY form. (at least until the titanium decays...) How many millions of years would that be?

17. rogerharris Registered Senior Member

exactly thinking more about how to maximize enjoying the life you have to the full (within reason or you will end up in jail and get a taste of hell on earth) and fulfilling yourself is a more relevant question. When you really enjoy life to the full, life takes on a timeless quality.

How to enjoy life in a competitive world where some people are bound to hate you and try to cause you misery... or circumstance itself could...mmm i wonder if anybody has written a book about that.