Quote Them !

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by UncleChrist, Nov 22, 2011.

1. UncleChrist Another Imaginary Friend Registered Senior Member

"We don't have to protect the environment — the Second Coming is at hand."

— James Watt, Interior Secretary under Ronald Reagan
    -----------

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."

— President George H.W. Bush
    ----------

"The Constitution established the United States of America as a Christian nation."

— Senator John McCain, on beliefnet.com
    ----------

"I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so."

— Adolf Hitler, to Gen. Gerhard Engel, 1941
    ----------

"I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator."

— Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, p. 46
    ---------

"I am convinced that I am acting as the agent of our Almighty Creator. By fighting the Jews, I am doing the Lord's work."

— Adolf Hitler, ibid. p. 65
    ---------

"This human world of ours would be inconceivable without the practical existence of a religious belief."

— Adolf Hitler, ibid. p 152
    ---------

"Thus inwardly armed with confidence in God and the unshakable stupidity of the voting citizenry, the politicians can begin the fight for the 'remaking' of the Reich as they call it."

— Adolf Hitler, ibid. Vol. 2 Chapter 1
    ---------

"The National Government will preserve and defend those basic principles on which our nation has been built. It regards Christianity as the foundation of our national morality, and the family as the basis of national life."

— Adolf Hitler, Berlin, 1933, first radio address after coming to power.
    --------

"The national Government sees in both Christian denominations the most important factor for the maintenance of our society."

— Adolf Hitler, speech at the Reichstag, March 1933
    -------

"Secular schools can never be tolerated because such a school has no religious instruction and a general moral instruction without a religious foundation is built on air; consequently, all character training and religion must be derived from faith ... We need believing people."

— Adolf Hitler, April 1933, from a speech made during negotiations leading to the Nazi-Vatican Concordat of 1933
    --------

"The fact that the Catholic Church has come to an agreement with Fascist Italy ... proves beyond doubt that the Fascist world of ideas is closer to Christianity than those of Jewish liberalism or even atheistic Marxism..."

— Adolf Hitler in an article in the Völkischer Beobachter, 1929
    --------

"I am personally convinced of the great power and deep significance of Christianity, and I won't allow any other religion to be promoted."

— Adolf Hitler
    --------

"Today Christians ... stand at the head of [this country]... I pledge that I never will tie myself to parties who want to destroy Christianity .. We want to fill our culture again with the Christian spirit ... We want to burn out all the recent immoral developments in literature, in the theater, and in the press - in short, we want to burn out the poison of immorality which has entered into our whole life and culture as a result of liberal excess during the past ... (few) years."

— Adolf Hitler, quoted in: The Speeches of Adolf Hitler, 1922-1939, Vol. 1
    --------

"We were convinced that the people need and require this faith. We have therefore undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations; we have stamped it out."

— Adolf Hitler, speech on October 24, 1933
    --------
    "Reason should be destroyed in all Christians."

— Martin Luther
    ---------

"Whoever wants to be a Christian should tear the eyes out of his reason."

— Martin Luther
    ---------

"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."

— Martin Luther
    ---------
    "I believe BECAUSE it's impossible."

— Tertullian (ca. 150-160 — ca. 220-240), one of the writers of the early Christian Church
    ---------
    "Unbelief is the greatest of sins."

— Thomas Aquinas
    --------
    "For if the truth of God hath more abounded through my lie unto his glory; why yet am I also judged as a sinner?"

— The Apostle Paul, Romans 3:7 (KJV
    --------
    "Our religion is Christ, our politics Fatherland!"

— slogan of Hans Schemm, Bavarian Minister of Education and Culture during the Third Reich
    --------
    "When we get through with the Jews in America, they’ll think the treatment they received in Germany was nothing."

— Catholic priest and US radio host Charles Edward Coughlin, 1938
    -------
    "We're in a religious war and we need to aggressively oppose secular humanism; these people are as religiously motivated as we are and they are filled with the devil."

— Timothy LaHaye, co-author of the Left Behind series
    -------
    "With all due respect to those dear people, my friend, God almighty does not hear the prayer of a Jew."

— Rev. Bailey Smith, Christian Coalition
    -------
    "Gog and Magog are at work in the Middle East…. The biblical prophecies are being fulfilled…. This confrontation is willed by God, who wants to use this conflict to erase his people’s enemies before a New Age begins."

— President George W. Bush, to French President Jacques Chirac in early 2003
    -------
    "There are a lot of very brilliant scholars who believe the reason we have incomplete science on evolution is that there is a higher power involved in this."

— Bill O'Reilly, conservative TV and radio host
    ------

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kx000 Valued Senior Member

If this where a Christian nation on the God, then there would not be a obelisk depicting Osiris the god Pharaoh who is killed in the bible as the Washington monument.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Arioch Valued Senior Member

@Knowledge --

If this were a christian nation, built on christian principles as laid down in the bible, then a lot would be different. We wouldn't have the Treaty of Tripoli or the Bill of Rights for one thing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kx000 Valued Senior Member

It is impossible for any nation to be a nation of God, as God only recognizes one nation, and since we have many nations... he recognizes no nation, only idividuals.

8. Arioch Valued Senior Member

@Knowledge --

Non seqiutur. Your conclusion doesn't follow from your premise.

9. Saturnine Pariah Hell is other people Valued Senior Member

“The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson
    "The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln,
    “Shake off all fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson
    “It will not do to investigate the subject of religion too closely, as it is apt to lead to infidelity.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  10. UncleChrist Another Imaginary Friend Registered Senior Member

"If [scientific] conclusions contradict the Word of God, the conclusions are wrong, no matter how many scientific facts may appear to back them,"
    — Biology for Christian Schools, p. 1
    --------------

"Christians must disregard [scientific hypotheses or theories] that contradict the Bible."
    — ibid.
    --------------

"If you can't trust the Bible's history, how can you trust its morality?"
    — Ken Ham, founder of Answers in Genesis
    --------------

"Good Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions."
    — Jerry Falwell, December 1999
    --------------

"The evolutionists worship atheism. I mean, that's their religion."
    — Rev. Pat Robertson
    --------------

"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity."
    — Ann Coulter, conservative author
    --------------

"[Since 9/11] I am often asked if I still think we should invade their countries, kill their leaders, and convert them to Christianity. The answer is: Now more than ever!"
    — Ann Coulter
    --------------

"God gave us the earth. We have dominion over the plants, the animals, the trees. God said, 'Earth is yours. Take it. Rape it. It's yours.'"
    — Ann Coulter, on Hannity & Colmes, 6/20/2001
    --------------

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people."
    — Mother Teresa
    --------------

11. Saturnine Pariah Hell is other people Valued Senior Member

“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

“[The Bible] has noble poetry in it... and some good morals and a wealth of obscenity, and upwards of a thousand lies.”
    ― Mark Twain

“A preoccupation with the next world clearly shows an inability to cope credibly with this one.”
    ― Richard K. Morgan

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
    ― Steven Weinberg

“Epicurus's old questions are still unanswered: Is he (God) willing to prevent evil, but not able? then he is impotent. Is he able, but not willing? then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? then whence evil?”
    ― David Hume

We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”
    ― Richard Dawkins

“There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as the Dark Ages.”
    ― Ruth Hurmence Green

12. UncleChrist Another Imaginary Friend Registered Senior Member

"…the right of holding slaves is clearly established in the Holy Scriptures, both by precept and example… Had the holding of slaves been a moral evil, it cannot be supposed that the inspired Apostles … would have tolerated it for a moment in the Christian Church. In proving this subject justifiable by Scriptural authority [Luke 12:47], its morality is also proved; for the Divine Law never sanctions immoral actions."

— Richard Furman, Baptist State Convention, letter to South Carolina Governor, 1822
    -----------------

"God is introduced to give dignity and emphasis ... and then He is banished. It was this very atheistic Declaration [of Independence] which had inspired the 'higher law' doctrine of the radical antislavery men. If the mischievous abolitionists had only followed the Bible instead of the godless Declaration, they would have been bound to acknowledge that human bondage was divinely ordained. The mission of southerners was therefore clear; they must defend the word of God against abolitionist infidels."

— Thomas Smyth, minister of 2nd Presbyterian Church of Charleston, S.C. 11/21/1861
    -----------------

"Slavery itself ... is not at all contrary to the natural and divine law... The purchaser [of the slave] should carefully examine whether the slave who is put up for sale has been justly or unjustly deprived of his liberty, and that the vendor should do nothing which might endanger the life, virtue, or Catholic faith of the slave."

— Vatican statement, 1866
    ----------------

"The Myth of the Inquisition is just that: phony, made up, bogus."
    — Gerard Bradley, Notre Dame Law School Professor, in "One Cheer for the Inquisitions"

on Catholic.net
    ----------------

"What happened to California will release a spirit that is more demonic than Islam, a spirit of lawlessness and anarchy. And a sexual insanity will be unleashed into the Earth."

— Lou Engle, Christian visionary, in response to legalization of same-sex marriage in California in 2008
    -----------------

"It is a war of light vs. darkness, of Christ vs. antichrist, the Word of God vs. secular humanism. There will be a winner and a loser!.. There is no compromise with the enemy. There is no neutrality in this war!"

— Rev. John Hagee, televangelist
    -----------------

"Faith-based organizations also need a guarantee they will not be forced to give up their right to hire people of their own faith as the price of competing for federal money. If we want this program to be effective and to save lives, people have got to say interfacing with government will not cause me to lose my mission."

— President George W. Bush, February 2005
    -----------------

"He [God] is using me, all the time, everywhere, to stand up for a biblical worldview in everything that I do and everywhere I am. He is training me."

— Tom DeLay (R-TX), former majority leader of the U.S. House of Representatives. In 2010 he was convicted of money laundering.
    -----------------

"If we are going to save America and evangelize the world, we cannot accommodate secular philosophies that are diametrically opposed to Christian truth."

— Jerry Falwell, "Moral Majority Report" for September, 1984
    -----------------

"Evolution is a bankrupt speculative philosophy, not a scientific fact. Only a spiritually bankrupt society could ever believe it... Only atheists could accept this Satanic theory."

— Rev. Jimmy Swaggart
    ----------------

"The Bible is the supreme law that all governments must obey."

— Randall Terry, founder of Operation Rescue
    ---------------

"I want you to just let a wave of intolerance wash over you. I want you to let a wave of hatred wash over you. Yes, hate is good — Our goal is a Christian nation. We have a Biblical duty. We are called by God to conquer this country. We don't want equal time. We don't want pluralism."

— Randall Terry, 8/16/1993
    ---------------

"If Christian people work together, they can succeed during this decade in winning back control of the institutions that have been taken from them over the past 70 years. Expect confrontations that will be not only unpleasant but at times physically bloody. When it is over, I am convinced God’s people will emerge victorious."

— Rev. Pat Robertson
    ---------------

"I'm an old-fashioned woman. Men should take care of women, and if men were taking care of women today, we wouldn't have to vote."

-Kay O'Connor (Kansas Senate Republican)
    ---------------

"For the first time ever, everything is in place for the Battle of Armageddon and the Second Coming of Christ."

-Ronald Reagan (President of the United States)
    --------------

"Feminism was established to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream of society."
    "If you commit a crime, you're guilty."*
    "There is only one way to get rid of nuclear weapons... use them"

-Rush Limbaugh
    --------------