What is a magnetic field made from?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Robittybob1, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

We never got to know what a magnetic field is made from.
    Has anyone got the answer?
    There were many attempts but never a firm conclusion so lets see if we can clear up the misunderstanding.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Previously discussed http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=110976

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

A field is an abstraction. Fields aren't "made of" anything.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

So why do they say it exists then?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Existing evidence suggests that fields are not made up of constituent parts (i.e. they are simply fundamental entities).

8. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

If by "why" you mean "how", nobody knows for sure. Different theories account for fields in different ways.

If by "why" you mean "what is the intent", then it's an invalid question.

9. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

I asked after this statement "A field is an abstraction. Fields aren't "made of" anything. " So if they aren't made of anything then why do we use the word "field" then.
    But really science is a bit confusing on the whole at times.

10. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

A magnetic field is made by pushing the Aether apart. This creates an empty chamber, and the empty chamber is the area of least resistance, the lowest pressure. Material wants to move into this chamber. Action At A Distance is to have this chamber held open until an observer closes it, and it is then touched by Aether, and an interaction takes place. Now this is the correct answer because I have deduced it from years of building the foundations that lead up to it. It is not pulled out of my ass. If this post is deleted, you will never have the answer, it's as simple as that.

11. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

I believe that you inadvertently put the word 'not' in this sentence making the statement inaccurate.

I believe that you left out the words 'absurd and incorrect' before the word answer.

Hope this helps.

12. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

Well, all will be revealed by the computer program that I am working on.

13. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Will we get to see it?

14. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

A field is an abstraction of a real phenomena. They (to the best of our knowledge) are not made of anything (i.e. they have no constituent parts).

15. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

Once it has been on YouTube a few months I will wait to see if it needs any corrections, then I can reveal the actual code.

16. el es Registered Senior Member

Can't the magnetic field be quantized? Wouldn't that mean something is there? Flux density seems to mean something is there, but I haven't read anywhere what it is.

17. leopold Valued Senior Member

18. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

A magnetic field is not a thing unto itself, but a region of space subtended by a force. You could just as well ask: what is a force made of? well, it's not a thing either, so it's not made of anything. A force is a state of matter. Matter is the thing. Matter has mass and charge and spin - these are not things either but they are the cause of force.

So a magnetic field is simply the manifestation, in spatial terms, of the attributes - mass, charge, spin - of the things, which are particles or atoms or bodies that possess the qualities of mass, charge, spin (etc.)

Fields are densities, for example Webers per meter or Volts per meter. Notice, you would not think to ask this of forty-weight motor oil. 40W is a density. So imagine asking: what is a 40W made of? See, it doesn't make sense.

The notion of fields has been popularized by Sci Fi (and maybe Sci Fo!) so that we have all kinds of artistic renderings of it in our mind. These renderings tend to slip into the holes where we haven't covered some uncertainty with a sanity check, something to keep us grounded in reality before we lose touch with basic principles that hold everything together.

Having said all of this, I am also interested in how fields arise, how they propagate and what is going on with virtual particle exchange, and the underlying mechanisms, so if that was where you were headed, I'll kick back and listen.

19. el es Registered Senior Member

In Feynman's QED there is a diagram off a photon from a magnet that couples to an electron. Weren't photons being responsible for the field mentioned on the other topic?

20. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

no doubt photons are carriers of the EM wave in space.

Then within a material, electrons carry the charge which gives rise to the coulomb force, and the spin that gives rise to the magnetic force.

21. el es Registered Senior Member

In a permanent magnet made of iron, isn't the unpaired electron responsible for the field? Each circular atomic current giving rise to a loop of the magnetic field.

One difficulty I have is if photons can travel in closed loops.

22. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Those "photons" might be something like the gravitation thing extending out and coming back to itself. Now that was the thing I have just thought of that the photon goes through the magnetic substance like a neutrino can go through the ground and back to itself. But then if the magnetic field is dependent on "energy wave" it is something. The density of the energy waves equates to the strength of the field.
    Had you considered it might come back to itself? But can't take short cuts. lol.

23. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

This makes absolutely no sense at all.