Epic Rants of Pure Rage

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by fedr808, Nov 11, 2011.

1. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

So I just had an experience with five other members for a speech and communications project that left me so infuriated at their short sighted stupidity that I felt the need to rant in my room for going on twenty minutes which basically left me at the conclusion that engineers make such worthless salesmen that they could not sell a rotting carcass to a vulture.

I was going to continue this rant here but then I realized, we all have epic rants and we all want to let them loose. So, that's what this thread is for, to just rant about anything from your life.

So let me start.

So the project is simple, find a problem, create a solution, design a product, and then create a presentation around the product designed to attract venture capitalists to invest in it. So being an Aero guy myself I suggested maybe we should do a space ship, a low competition industry, hauling satellites into orbit can generate lots of revenue. And the public opinion of private space industries is overwhelmingly positive and so too is government opinion on them (one of the few things the two can agree on these days).

Instead they decided on public transportation. Why? Because they felt space ships were too specific, that they did not have the expertise for them (not like you literally needed to build one from scratch, we are freshmen after all).

In case you don't know there are four major, and my major I mean "holy f*** how are you so moronic that you don't see the bowling ball sized holes in this idiotic plan?" problems with it.

The first is that when you pick a topic you are allowed to branch out a little. But you can only branch out one way, you can't make a branch and then branch off from that branch without risking your audience's attention.

So if they were to pick subways it would make sense, I could branch off by adding on board ticketing and ATM machines. Improved train stations, scheduled air fresheners. Etc...

But instead they decided on "mass transit", which means that you have to branch that off into buses, cars, and trains. So I need to find a way to improve the subways without branching off at all. Which is literally impossible, so I have to branch off and I will have to deal with the weird looks from the audience wondering why in G-d's name they didn't skip class that day rather then listening to this boring ass lecture.

The second problem is this, Public transit systems are broke, they make absolutely no money. I have never heard of a single mass transit system that even earns enough money to pay it's own bills let alone make a profit. If the cities can't make a profit from our mass transit system (which they won't) then there is no incentive to dish out millions and millions of dollars to buy them. If we don't convince the venture capitalists (which are just role playing college freshmen and the teacher) that we can make money off of the idea then we cannot get them to invest in us. Which means an F.

Third problem, Besides the fact that my team is made up of a bunch of arrogant engineering students (including yours truly) that think they know it all and don't realize that just because they are smart doesn't make their solutions smart. So why is it that I am the only one that can see these problems and not just stand still like a deer in the highway? My dad works for IBM and a sales consultant, anyways, his job is basically to write up the instruction manuals for the salesmen to pitch what the engineers have created to potential buyers. He is literally the go between for engineers and salesmen.

He has imparted a lot of lessons and wisdom to me. No one else in my group knows the first thing about sales. I can see the train wreck this thing is turning into and I've explained it to them, but they refuse to budge. I could literally do this 6 person assignment solo and write the 15 page outline on a different product in less then a day, I could design and draw out the idea. And then I could sell it with ease. Why? Because I don't pick the most complicated problems possible because I think to myself "hmmm, a problem worthy of my vast intellect." I think to myself, "this is a problem for people and they don't even realize it, I am going to fix it with the simplest solution possible and so long as I keep my eyes on the problem and not the ingenuity nor simplicity of the solution I should do alright."

The fourth is simple. No two mass transit systems are alike. The Boston bus route is entirely different from the New York bus route. The New York subways have to deal with water tables while the San Francisco subways need to deal with earthquakes. Even simpler then that is how many trains are entering or leaving the subway station. They are asking me to design a subway station without knowing how many trains the end customer wants to have, what environmental conditions there are, the actual location, the weather, and the size of the trains. Public transit systems need to be tailor made and my team is trying to make a one size fits all system.

- Me

- Teammate #1 (self appointed leader)

Teammate #3 (self appointed genius)

What they don't get is that they aren't trying to build something, they are trying to sell something. And they have no f*cking clue that the two are unrelated.

Well, that's the end of my rant, who wants to take the next one?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You should have done recumbent bicycle raised monorails, the media considers them a possibly serious solution to mass transit, and you can sell them as a form of "green" roller coasters to resorts, with the added benefits of a nice view, and a workout.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'm going to allow this for the moment, but I should say that I will apply strict moderation to this thread where other members are involved in the rants.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I once designed a highway system for a city that there were no stop signs anywhere and everyone can get to their homes very quickly because there were no traffic signal lights as well. No one went along with my idea for they said it wouldn't work but I made them a diorama of the entire city and showed them I was correct yet they still didn't listen to my ideas but that's life and I went on to other ideas.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  8. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Pfft.

9. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Well, this thread looks awfully short for an epic!

10. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Ok Signal I'll try to keep it going and make it more epic.

What to do if your Chinese employer is unlawful:

I'll take a stab. Not because I'm raging (I'm Buddhist) but because I just finished an interesting chapter in my life-book. I don't think I have the capability to rant anymore as meditation has flushed all that negative emotion out. But this guide is about as close to a rant as I can get so here it goes:

A common problem as an English teacher in China is that the employer that wants you to work under an L or F visa, even after contractually promising a Z (working) visa.

How to get your boss back for screwing you:

1.) Brainstorm as many potential ways you can legally harm your employer and company.

Get creative! Threaten to send all of the employees emails detailing how to sue the company and get away with it. Threaten to call every single embassy and have them blacklisted. Ask a lawyer for a reasonable amount of compensation, and double pr triple that figure! Tell the company that the figure is from your Chinese lawyer. Do your homework! Gather evidence if you need to.

2.) Write down all of your threats (Have at least 3 that you can enact immediately, and a few longer term ones for a diverse portfolio). Make sure you include imprisonment as this is the most worrisome to anyone. Don't be too detailed, but make sure it looks like a very feasible plan to carry out.

3.) Make sure you have a legal backbone from the get-go. That means a Chinese lawyer. If you can't pay the lawyer by the hour, work out a commissions based agreement.

4.) Always settle outside of court! You worked illegally, so while you can punish the company, they can also punish you by way of deportation (and 5+ years not being allowed in the country) so send your first email directly without involving an arbitrator.

5.) You will inevitably meet with your boss in the following days. Don't believe a single word they tell you, just continue to insist on compensation or court. Don't get angry! Be his best friend, reply positively, smoke the cigarettes he offers etc. Persist and give logical answers.

6.) Finally they will offer you some form of financial compensation before going to court, this offer will most likely be less than what you requested (That's why you tripled the initial figure from your lawyer)

7.) Because you didn't use your lawyer you won't have to pay him. But always give him a hefty tip to continue a good relationship. This is critical in China.

8.) Completely separate yourself from this company, get a new visa from Hong Kong and enjoy your money. Find a good job, and cross your fingers they are not also crooked.

There you go, a complete guide to how to sue in China, if your company forces you to work on the wrong type of visa. There are many reasons this can happen, and sometimes plain luck is involved.

Tips:

Never get angry, stay cool. Look at them in their eyes, shake firmly etc.

Take physical threats with a grain of salt, but remember where you are. Let the boss know that you are in constant contact with your embassy and lawyer even if you aren't. When they ask where you will go afterwards, tell them Hong Kong for a new visa even if it's not true.

Don't believe anything until the money is in your hand or your bank account!

Tell the company that you are going to find a new job in another country. That way they will believe their threat of deportation might not work. (It's all they have)

Hopefully this helps any readers!

---

Key phrases:
    Working in China on an F or L visa.
    Working on a F or L visa is illegal in China.
    How to sue your boss in China.
    What to do if you are caught working on an F visa in China.

---

Ok so there's my rant. It all took place in the last 4 days and I walked with $3500 in my pocket. My employer was a crooked liar that broke the contract whenever it benefited him.

Cheers!

11. gordongekko Registered Member