Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 101

Thread: aliens do exist in historical artwork

  1. #21
    Comets, and they were mistaken about anyone flying in them.

  2. #22
    Valued Senior Member Rhaedas's Avatar
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by river View Post
    your " bet " is irrelevent

    the thing is , is that the paintings depict flying objects with beings in them

    and there are many of them and even in biblical paintings
    I can show you numerous fantasy and scifi paintings. They aren't real either.

  3. #23
    Valued Senior Member
    Posts
    3,884
    Quote Originally Posted by spidergoat View Post
    Comets, and they were mistaken about anyone flying in them.
    how do simply comets become objects that have someone inside these flying objects , of which are not pointed towards the Earth , but are flying parallel to the horizon

  4. #24
    Valued Senior Member Rhaedas's Avatar
    Posts
    1,516
    Artistic license.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by river View Post
    how do simply comets become objects that have someone inside these flying objects , of which are not pointed towards the Earth , but are flying parallel to the horizon
    That's how comets often move. Just think of these primitive people trying to explain such a phenomenon.

  6. #26
    Valued Senior Member
    Posts
    3,884
    “ Originally Posted by river
    how do simply comets become objects that have someone inside these flying objects , of which are not pointed towards the Earth , but are flying parallel to the horizon

    Quote Originally Posted by spidergoat View Post
    That's how comets often move. Just think of these primitive people trying to explain such a phenomenon.
    oh please thats a stretch

    so they would have the mindset that comets are intelligently controlled machines ?

    NOT

  7. #27
    Valued Senior Member Rhaedas's Avatar
    Posts
    1,516
    Primitive people thought the planets and stars were beings. Why is anything a stretch to naive people with imagination trying to explain things within the scope of their understanding?

  8. #28
    Valued Senior Member Rhaedas's Avatar
    Posts
    1,516
    You should read Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World. He covers how unexplained things have changed with us as our understanding of the world has grown. What used to be angels and leprechauns turned into flying saucers and aliens.

    You're trying to do the same thing, only in reverse. You're accepting their eyewitness testimony, in artistic form, as a unarguable fact, and trying to find a reason behind it. Sure, they saw things in the sky. What they interpreted them as isn't necessarily what they were.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by river View Post
    oh please thats a stretch

    so they would have the mindset that comets are intelligently controlled machines ?

    NOT
    1. They don't look like machines.
    2. It's not a stretch to say they represent aliens?

  10. #30
    Valued Senior Member
    Posts
    3,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaedas View Post
    Primitive people thought the planets and stars were beings. Why is anything a stretch to naive people with imagination trying to explain things within the scope of their understanding?
    not beings but a psychological representive of the Human psyche

  11. #31
    Valued Senior Member
    Posts
    3,884
    “ Originally Posted by river
    oh please thats a stretch

    so they would have the mindset that comets are intelligently controlled machines ?

    NOT

    Quote Originally Posted by spidergoat View Post
    1. They don't look like machines.
    2. It's not a stretch to say they represent aliens?
    at the time though how else would they represent something , a flying machine , other than they have

    the technology being what it was then

    2) no , because who could do what these flying objects do at this point in time

    nobody

  12. #32
    Valued Senior Member Rhaedas's Avatar
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by river View Post
    not beings but a psychological representive of the Human psyche
    Well, yeah, of course. But that being true, at that time they DID believe they were the gods.

    Unless you're claiming otherwise. Which would be an interesting subject.

  13. #33
    Registered Senior Member greenboy's Avatar
    Posts
    263
    Just because you are ignoring my post doesn't mean I am wrong.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by greenboy View Post
    Just because you are ignoring my post doesn't mean I am wrong.
    Correct you are wrong because your post is nonsense.

  15. #35
    Valued Senior Member
    Posts
    2,365
    Quote Originally Posted by spidergoat View Post
    They look like stylized comets. I bet they thought comets were vehicles for angels or some such shit.
    I agree with Spidergoat. Throughout history, from prehistoric sky-gods to astrological divination, people have associated the heavens with supernatural powers and intelligences. The word 'heaven' originally meant the sky.

    That's how astronomy first began. Priests would watch the sky and interpret anything new or unusual that they saw up there as if it was a meaningful divine portent. In so doing, they noticed the cyclical motions of the sun, moon, planets and fixed stars, and identified the solstices, equinoxes and so on.

  16. #36
    Valued Senior Member Arioch's Avatar
    Posts
    2,274
    @Yazata --

    Minor nitpick here, but astronomy(studying the sky) actually seems to predate religion, and that makes sense. Keeping track of the movements of the heavens is a good way to track the changes in seasons which is a great tool for both hunting(lets you know where the herds are going to be) and agriculture(can't plant the crops at the wrong time you see). It seems that the supernatural bits that are found in astrology and the like actually came later and were tacked on to what those people knew at the time.

  17. #37
    Simple Occum's Razor reasoning would be to look at Culture in general. You will notice that our current day-to-day culture has science-fiction used in movies and television, that comic books that inspire imagination have been portrayed on the silver screen. While some authors might get their inspirations from conspiracies with unknown answers, most are quite capable of dreaming up entire fictitious realities to keep them in a job and their fans occupied.

    Now obviously this current usage of science-fiction is nothing new, during the Victorian and Edwardian period "Parlour games" were played like the usage of ouija boards or mediums contacting spirits. The reality was at that time they were just games to pass the time, however they were played to appear real and to some they became real and this allowed various people to exploit those uneducated people.

    Such exploitation was not new, go further back and you see the same exploitation through religion in the form of cults. (In fact it was the main reason why the Roman empire attempted to adopt "one religion" over all the others, just to lessen the exploitation and manipulation of their people by cults)

    As for paintings of UFO's, during the renaissance there were a number of paintings commissioned that applied their religious view to the painting, leaving the actual picture to involve the artist "Interpretation" to paint stories or events in a way that they might envision it. It's not they were actually privy to any event or even attempted to accertain as to whether any story was actually based on reality or just a myth.

    Some artists didn't personify a god in a envisioned story, instead they would paint "a shining light" through a crack in the clouds, or generate some shape to come across in a spiritual fashion. Often with the statement that they as an artist were not worthy to see a god and paint them in their splendour but instead just depict the presence as something of absent interpretation. (During that period it was likely a huge cop-out to get around being persecuted for not portraying a particular religions god correctly etc)

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaedas View Post
    So things darting around in the skies were commonplace then, so much so that it wasn't even worthy of documenting, except in a few paintings here and there as a side note?

    Much more likely they were added as embellishments. Don't you find it odd that those flying objects are found just in religious paintings? Perhaps they aren't referred to directly because you'd expect angels and such to be in the background of such a setting.
    I dont find it odd at all.

  19. #39
    Registered Senior Member greenboy's Avatar
    Posts
    263
    Is nice and simple to believe always somebody is coming from another world or dimension is nice to believe that,is hard to believe our own government lies to us, while they sell us a lie, they develop all kind of weapons and flying saucers and without regulations and with out taxes.

  20. #40
    Penguinaciously duckalicious. Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Posts
    16,185
    Quote Originally Posted by greenboy View Post
    Is nice and simple to believe always somebody is coming from another world or dimension is nice to believe that,is hard to believe our own government lies to us, while they sell us a lie, they develop all kind of weapons and flying saucers and without regulations and with out taxes.
    Your government isn't developing flying saucers.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. By superstring01 in forum SciFi & Fantasy
    Last Post: 08-29-09, 10:55 PM
    Replies: 4
  2. By toltec in forum SciFi & Fantasy
    Last Post: 05-09-09, 04:57 PM
    Replies: 53
  3. By andersbranderud in forum Religion Archives
    Last Post: 09-20-08, 05:59 PM
    Replies: 24
  4. By halo07guy in forum Art & Culture
    Last Post: 09-03-08, 04:44 PM
    Replies: 1
  5. By sandy in forum Politics
    Last Post: 01-30-08, 07:26 PM
    Replies: 14

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •