Nearly passed out today.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Ghost_007, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

I was walking with a friend and felt quite hungry, something I am very used to, I can go for many hours without eating. So I am walking and then everything around me starts to speed up, I feel agitated and very shaky. I walk into a take-away and order some food, I pay for my food etc. as I am standing I feel like I am going to pass-out, I sort of shake my head and body, it was quite busy so without trying to sound rude I asked if I could have my drink straight away. I take a coke and start knocking it back. I still feel like crap.

I sit down with my friend and I'm still feeling very shaky, for the second time I feel as though I am going to pass-out, a part of me wants to lie down on the seat, then I just drink more coke and start shaking my hands and head, and start hitting my chest (why? i don't know), everything is going fast and I can't make sense of anything, my friend is talking but I am not paying attention. Also, I feel enraged, I feel extremely angry, I see a guy standing next to me, I want to get up and hit him, then my food is ready, my friend collects it and I am all over it like a tramp on chips. I don't feel better. I feel like passing out again. To avoid embarrassment I thought I should just go into the bathroom and just pass out there. I try and pull myself together, then tell my friend I need to get out of here, luckily he has a car so we head off.

I am walking very fast (feel as though I will collapse if I slow down), again I feel jittery, all over the place and again, I am feeling the rage. A guy asks me for £1 and I feel like throwing a punch at him, I just swear at him though. Almost get into an incident with another guy. So we finally reach my friends car, I sit down and my hands are shaking. I finally get home and I feel fuzzy, very light-headed, but I don't feel nauseous, I splash some water over my face, drink some too, I get changed, lay down in bed, feel restless and then start blasting some music really loud. Eventually I calm down, and then maybe after 30 mins or so I fall asleep.

I was really freaked out by what happened. I've had periods of feeling faint after not eating for hours but nothing like this at all. I had some toast in the morning and this happened only about 4 hours later, which isn't even that long. I had around 7 hours sleep the night before which is okay. It was sunny during the day, but not too hot.

Going to make an appointment with the doctor tomorrow.

I've been reading up online and people are saying it could be linked with low-blood pressure. What do you guys think?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Yeah, get that seen to. If you didn't feel better for drinking coke it's probably something else besides hypoglycemia.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Sounds like diabetes starting up or hypoglycemia as V I has stated. It doesn't sound like low blood pressure. Going to the doctor will be your best bet to find out more through tests they can give you. I don't think you should be very alarmed because what you have going on sounds like something that can be treated very easily once diagnosed, good luck.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Could be high blood pressure with heart palpitations, I had that before.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I think its rabies

9. leopold Valued Senior Member

see your doctor.
    nausea and light headedness can be signs of something serious.

10. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

Thanks for replies.

I'm going to ring the doctor first thing in the morning and make an appointment.

I feel much better now, so I hope it was nothing major.

11. John99 Banned Banned

Anxiety attack?

12. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

that is what i was thinking . To much stress . Like animals in the zoo that swing there leg back and forth . Did the back of your neck hurt guy going to the doctor? Did you grab at your neck ? Touch your head in any fashion . Rub the side of your head or neck ? Maybe with both hands even ?

13. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

That's what my friend said. He said I was quiet before and looked a bit confused. My life is quiet stressful and he said he doesn't know anyone who has to live the way I live so maybe it is catching up with me - maybe, but tbh I don't think so, I will raise the issue with my doctor but right now I am not getting carried away.

14. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

My partner suffers from hypoglycemia and has experienced some pretty strange attacks which leave him weak for hours, often a day or more afterward. He needs to avoid sugar and white flour as main food sources and maintain an adequate amount of protein in his diet.

I think you are wise to see a doctor as soon as possible. All the best in identifying and managing the cause of this frightening experience. Please keep us posted on what you may find out.

15. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I do some really extreme calorie cycling...and if I get too out of hand with the low days, I will get shaky, confused, enraged, dizzy, nauseous, and have a migraine. Also get tunnel vision climbing a flight of stairs and orthostatic hypertension (Dizzy on standing suddenly, basically).
    :shrug:
    The more I exercise the more likely this is to happen, and you've been working out a lot lately...
    Never officially diagnosed, thankya no health insurance....the county system is generally such a PITA that if I'm not actively in danger of dropping dead of whatever it is, or sick as a dog, I don't bother...I just guess I'm a bit hypoglycemic.

16. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Previous to walking, were you in a funny position for a long time?

I was sitting cross-legged once (although a bit drunk and high at the time (nothing uncommon for me)) when I started feeling dizzy. My hearing became muffled and everything was difficult to grasp and see. After a bit of controlled falling down a few flights of stairs I made it outside. Unzipped to piss, and fell flat on my chin. Woke up a few minutes later in a dark alley.

I couldn't figure it out until another time I was sitting cross-legged for too long and stood up and felt the same way. After this happened a few more times I realized I must be screwing up my circulation and now will only sit in half-lotus rather than Indian-style. I haven't felt like passing out since.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Sounds like an anxiety attack with comorbid aggression. Do you feel depressed for any reason? Any bipolar disorders in your family? Feelings of excessive sleepiness?

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Ghost its really hard to give you a good answer now (and impossible to give an exact one)

anxiaty atacks are a diognosis of elimination, which means you have to go through everything else it could be before you can be definitive that its anxiaty

Just off the top of my head it could be:

AF
    SVT
    Concious VT
    Bradycardia
    Hypoglycemia
    HYPERglycemia

electrolyte imbalance (Na+, K+, Ca++)
    Hypotension
    Hypertension
    Siezure
    (with a focus in the frontal lobe possibly)
    Migraine
    Hypoxia
    Syncope
    TIA
    Anemia
    Shock

Tumor (malignant or benign)
    Truama

I havent mentioned respitory causes because you didnt mention shortness of breath but i could go through all them too.

Once you have ruled all these out THEN you can assume its just anxiaty

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I would eliminate the first six because of the aggression. Thats a clear hormonal reaction - also his age - low blood pressure or hyperglycemia seems unlikely. I'm not sure how hypoxia or anemia could cause an aggressive reaction. But yeah, he needs to get to a good clinical doctor and take some tests

20. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Oh and i forgot drugs and alchole

And no sam, thats not enough to drop those off the list because there is nothing to say its not a combination of factors.

For example SVT causes hypotension which leads to hypoxia in the frontal lobe which leads to personality changes.

There is nothing there which would satisfy ME to eliminate ANYTHING from that list, i would want more infomation (specifically an ECG trace, BGL, SP02, Resp rate, HR, BP, ie a full clinical workup) and even that wont eliminate everything. I would be transporting so he could get a cat scan and bloods done.

Also what makes you think there is an AGE for hyperglycemia or hypotension? The first is generally the first indicator of type 2 diabeties (which is happerning younger and younger) and the second can be triggered by lots of reasons, for instance a vasovagal responce. Definitly not age specific

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm going by what is commonly seen. It could be anything of course and as you said, needs testing to verify

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

to be honest this sounds like quite a common problem based learning we get at uni all the time. In actuality my last PBL was on anxiety but the lecture decided throw me by changing it to be an ectopic pregancy (oviously the pt was female). the comment from the ICP who was giving the lecture was 98% of the time it will be anxiaty (admitedly we also had Shortness of breath) but the 2% which arnt can be VERY nasty.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah I know. I've seen a LOT of students getting "burned out" in uni. The stress levels are astronomical. Thats why I thought of anxiety attack as well

I have low BP myself and sometimes its mistaken for depression because of the symptoms - I went through a period of being on anti-anxiety meds myself [rather pointlessly, as it really numbed my brain for a while without any benefits since the low BP was still there!] so I understand what you mean about not jumping to conclusions