The Nicene Creed

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by James R, Sep 5, 2011.

?

Christians: which parts of the Nicene Creed do you believe in?

1. I am not a Christian. (Do NOT tick any other boxes)

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. I am Christian but I don't wish to respond to this poll. (Do NOT tick any other boxes)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I BELIEVE: there is only one God

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. God made everything

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. Jesus Christ was the only Son of God

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  6. Jesus is of one substance with God (i.e. Jesus is essentially another aspect of God)

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  7. Jesus came down from heaven to save humanity from sin

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  8. Jesus was birthed by Mary, who was a virgin

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  9. Jesus was crucified by the Romans, by order of Pontius Pilate

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  10. Jesus died on the cross

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  11. Jesus rose from the dead

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  12. Jesus ascended into heaven

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  13. Jesus will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  14. There is a Holy Spirit which is the giver of life (which is another aspect of the one God)

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  15. The Holy Spirit has spoken through the Prophets

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  16. There is one Holy church

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  17. Baptism results in the forgiveness of sins

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  18. The dead will be resurrected

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  19. I BELIEVE in ALL of the statements from the Nicene creed (i.e. I ticked all the boxes above except t

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I'm interested in how many Christians believe in all aspects of the Nicene creed. These are:

1. There is only one God.
    2. God made everything.
    3. Jesus Christ was the only son of God.
    4. Jesus Christ is of one substance with God, begotten not made (i.e. essentially Jesus is another aspect of the one God).
    5. Jesus came down from heaven to save humanity from sin.
    6. Mary, mother of Jesus, was a virgin, and Jesus was born of a virgin.
    7. Jesus was crucified by the Romans under Pontius Pilate.
    8. Jesus died on the cross.
    9. Jesus rose from the dead.
    10. Jesus ascended into heaven.
    11. Jesus will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead.
    12. There is a Holy Spirit which is the giver of life, which is another aspect of the one God.
    13. The Holy Spirit has spoken through the Prophets.
    14. There is one holy church.
    15. Baptism results in the forgiveness of sins.
    16. The dead will be resurrected.

Please answer the poll if you are Christian.

The reason I ask, by the way, is that it seems to me that these are the defining beliefs of Christianity, at least as set down by the Council at Nicea.

I am particularly interested to hear from any dissident Christians who do believe some, but not all, of the statements in the Nicene creed. And, if you disbelieve some of them, can you please tell me why you still consider yourself a Christian? In other words, explain why the statements you do not believe are not important to your Christianity. Or why the Nicene creed got it wrong. Or whatever.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

james isnt that specific to catholics and anglicans?

I havent been to church in years with the exception of my grandfathers funeral and i still rember that off the top of my head

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superstring01 Moderator

The Nicene Creed is also used by Lutherans, Methodists and a few others. By "one church" in the creed, they mean "a church of the body of Christ".

~String

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

You see Asguards post up there . That statement " For Us Men "
    No women in that statement plain and clear . I was reading Proverbs today . It was quite peculiar really . It was talking wisdom and giving it a gender . Made Me think of the statue of liberty . Yeah it was calling Wisdom her . It was something like wisdom is your friend, love her with all your might . Stuff like that . A lot of those proverbs I have read before and just discounted them as some bizarre anomaly in the over all literature of the bible . Now I am thinking they are worthy of another look . I am pretty sure a bunch of em is still bull crap , but you never know if you sucked the page dry yet or not . Anyone who has specialized and excelled knows what I mean by sucking a page dry I hope . The nuances of doing a professional job verses a beginner thinking they know everything already and why bother read what you think you already know . You all do it . I know you do . I seen the way you paint your bedrooms . Duct tape a plumbing pipe . Defer maintenance with a bandage . Sow your own finger back on after was cut off , but you drop a stitch. You know ! Be your own Foolish Attorney. Think you know more than a professional with out doing the work to become that professional.

Back to the point ? Why would any woman be a Christian? It is a Mans Club . Right there in Asguards post proves it . That rape case from 1648 were the woman was said to be possessed . She was being raped and because of it they all created a woman possessed . Sounds a lot like the attitude of the law that Tiasa brings up a lot . Adult males fucking 10 year olds and it is not rape if the 10 year old went along with it . I bet the guys used the " She was possessed story a lot back in the day . Similar to the modern though of " She was asking for it " or She really meant yes .

O.K. James , Off track yes I know . I'm a troll, you a troll , were all a bunch of trolls. Why would a woman be Christian in the modern day ?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  8. kx000 Valued Senior Member

I am not Christian

9. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Um,
    Fail.

10. kx000 Valued Senior Member

I ticked no box.

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I don't think so. But I'm happy to be corrected by other Christians who don't believe all that stuff.

Who helped?

Whose help?

Baptism isn't (just) for babies. Maybe you're confusing baptism with Christening.

What are you?

12. kx000 Valued Senior Member

I helped

My help

Its seems you are right, refresh my memory, what is baptism?

My family is Catholic, but I am of many religions. God's word is my command I will leave it at that. I follow the words of Christ as they were bestoed upon him by the lord.

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

How did you help God to make everything, Knowledge91?

14. Arioch Valued Senior Member

@James --

By inventing god of course.

15. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

He made a few suggestions.

I think the duck billed platypus was his idea. Also mucus.

16. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Didn't check the "one Holy church" box. Are we sure it's on the right path? Are we sure the others are wrong? I might go there, but in a way that's guesswork. Perhaps I'm just taking the assertion wrongly.