Eternal life: would it really be so great?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by CptBork, Sep 4, 2011.

1. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Signal asked me to make a thread on this topic as an offshoot of the following thread: "Why do we need so many religions"

Here's what I originally wrote to spark this discussion:

I honestly think there's something to be said in praise of the merits of refreshment and renewal, which conventional science views as the natural cycle of life. Thoughts?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wlminex Banned Banned

CptBork #1:

I've seen alot of "blissful, ignorant nothingness" on these forums . . . does that mean we really have "heaven on earth"? (tee hee)

wlminex

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

Eternal life would be okay, so long as you have an opt-out. Otherwise it could quickly become a hell.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wlminex Banned Banned

Rhaedras Post #4:

. . . kind of like Obamacare, eh?

wlminex

8. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

Kind of like not really.

As if our healthcare before was a shining example. Let's try not to inject politics into everything...this isn't CNN/Fox forums.

9. siledre Registered Senior Member

I would like eternal life if we had space travel, then we could survive the long voyages to other places.

10. wlminex Banned Banned

Rhaedas Post #5:

Geez . . . . levity and brevity are two cornerstones of the universe. Our healthcare system, as is, has kept the top of my head (bald) as a 'shining example' . . . OOPS! . . .I THOUGHT this was a CNN or Fox forum . . . . excu-'effin-use ME!

wlminex

11. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

who are you ? Your kind of an intelligent little speaker aunt we . My darlin oh my darlin . Clementine is that you . I thought they shot you up back at the barnyard sale . You made it to the big show . Right on !!!

12. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Religious notions of reincarnation/rebirth cover that.

You seem to operate on the assumption that eternal life is basically like this life, in the one and the same body and circumstances, only infinitely prolonged.

13. lightgigantic Banned Banned

The "natural cycle of life" as you call it is based on the ephemeral pursuit of ephemeral desire in an ephemeral sense of self ... all of which are based in the individual being the center of the universe (My body, My family, My country, My species, etc).

Eternal life is usually presented with a slightly different dynamic, not only because the pursuits, desires and sense of self are not ephemeral, but mostly because everything is based on God being at the center.

Mostly when there is discussion of the pitfalls of eternal life, one is simply carrying the pitfalls of temporary life (ie having an egotism that only entertains others to the extent that they entertain one's self) into such a calculation.

14. CptBork Valued Senior Member

And what would you do for eternity in those other places? Go mining for hydrogen? And then when there's no hydrogen left, you just go on to the next place and keep mining for more hydrogen? Would be like being forced to watch a movie on an infinite loop, sounds pretty awfully boring to me. Long, extended lives on the other hand are different.

That seems to be a common view especially in monotheistic circles. A lot of people seem attached to this incredibly selfish notion that the universe somehow can't function properly without them.

Well there's a widespread belief that our ephemeral selves are indeed the entities which are supposed to be purified and then framed up in the museum of eternal repetition. So in that view, we're not really supposed to be ephemeral at all, we're supposed to be special, divine and superior to all the non-living stuff which comes and goes. Some people have really huge egos and delusions of self-importance, I guess.

15. wellwisher Banned Banned

Eternal life would not be bad if you could keep your mind in flux, so it can organically grow and change over eternity. It is only when you create fixed memory, choices and opinions that eternity would become a hell; over and over.

With a heart and mind of stone (fixed or carved in stone) you would need to fight to maintain this temporal state against the inertia of change. There would be war and fighting to stop change, so those in charge could perpetuate their temporary version of utopia. But if the brain was in flux, it can flows with the tides of change and is able to adapt anew for eternity. This may not be optimized for short term, which does better if we firm up things.

If you look at the DNA, it is designed to change. If you tried to maintain one DNA against change, you will get extinction. To avoid extinction of the mind (not the body), the mind will need to war so the terms of selective advantage does not change. That would be hell. The closed mind is not designed for eternity.

16. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I don't see the connection between the notion of eternal life and the notion that we are necessary for the universe to function properly.

17. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

From that thought I go to the point that if we had eternal lives (and durable bodies to suit

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) that we would have a completely different attitude about desires, ego, and those things which occupy a good part of our attention in our ephemeral existence.

However, outside of the religious meaning which generally includes a physical life and a spiritual after life, eternal life has to be considered quite close to impossible. I get philosophical and say that if an individual is able to live a normal life expectancy then that should be sufficient time for them to get comfortable with the concept of their own death. To me that comfort could be accompanied with the individual conclusion that a normal life expectancy is in accord to the natural laws of the universe and who we are is established by our self image at the dead line, lol.

18. Arioch Valued Senior Member

Eternal life is something I wouldn't wish on even my worst enemies...well, okay, maybe my worst enemies, but you get what I'm saying. We are finite beings who can't even properly comprehend infinities let alone endure them. We have a finite time to deal with an apparently finite universe(at least, our world is finite) which is filled with finite objects, no matter how long lived. The torture of forcing such finite beings to not only perfectly comprehend infinity but to endure it as well is about the most immoral thing that can be done.

The only out of this that I can see is if that which is finite is stripped from us by death, at which point we would lose all that is human about us. We would stop being "us" because everything we are, from our memories(both sweet and bitter) to our very existence, would be gone.

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I will be "eternal" in that my atoms will be sent back to the universe where they started from and become part of the ongoing formation of stars and planets as they were long ago.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

All that we knew, even the loveliest and the best, decomposes into the dust of earth compressed. Those songs they once composed now lie in repose; with this dust the future may arrange and recompose.

21. Arioch Valued Senior Member

@cosmictraveler --

Even atoms aren't eternal. They decay, albeit at a slower rate than the flesh that they compose. Besides, atoms had a beginning and are thereby definitionally not eternal.

22. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

Not even so-called elementals such as electrons can be eternal.

No thing at all can be eternal.

What then, does this suggest as the basis for the basic things?

No-thing (nothing)—a balance of opposites summing to zero.

There's nothing to make things of. Can anyone suggest otherwise?

23. Gustav Banned Banned

hi
    the past 6000 years have been really really wild
    i look forward to another 6