Physicist John Hagelin on "Shadow Matter"

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Alexander1304, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Alexander1304 Registered Senior Member

Hello All,
    I had t some read of particle physicist John Hagelin: "It appears plausible, theoretically, that this shadow matter aggregates around our physical bodies, and may actually constitute a subtler level of our physiology (i.e., a subtle body) that "thinks." Moreover, if shadow matter possesses the remarkable properties that we believe it does, it may provide a natural link between our material brain and the Unified Field of Consciousness.

It was previously assumed that our interaction with shadow matter was through the gravitational force alone, and hence, far too weak to be of any practical consequence. In fact, our calculations show it is highly plausible that we interact with this unseen world via the (far stronger) electromagnetic force.

This electromagnetic interaction with shadow matter provides a plausible scientific explanation for mind and thought, for fulfillment of desire, for Jyotish, Yagya, the Maharishi Effect÷ for numerous phenomena of consciousness that had previously seemed mysterious."

What do you guys think?
    I'm even not sure this should be posted in pseudoscience - may be it is REAL science?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Can't say as I would be able to grasp that type of statement because I've never heard of "the unified field of consciousness' in my entire life. It doesn't mean that it doesn't exist but that I've not read anything about such a thing.:shrug:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

If we interact via the electromagnetic force, it's not unseen.

The man appears to be a nutter.

"John Hagelin Proposes 'Vedic Defense Shield' for permanent, proven solution to terrorism tragedies and wars, and creation of lasting world peace."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Alexander1304 Registered Senior Member

Thank for the responses,guys,
    AlexG: I also thought,that if iteraction via electromagnecitc force would take a plays - it would be detectable

8. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

9. Alexander1304 Registered Senior Member

10. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

Why would I want to put myself through that?

11. Alexander1304 Registered Senior Member

through what?

12. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

A nutcase's video.

13. Alexander1304 Registered Senior Member

your choice

14. Telemachus Rex Protesting Mod Stupidity Registered Senior Member

I've never even heard of "shadow matter". Does he mean dark matter? In any event, if it has electromagnetic properties, then it should be easy to detect. It should have a magnetic field, making it easy to find. If we can't find it that way, then that part of his theory is clearly wrong. Of course, if the body had some wispy EM-active matter floating about it, we'd have found that long ago, so I would not hold out any hope.

He should also know that capitalizing things does not make them more "sciency". The "Unified Field of Consciousness" has never been discovered, so I'd think "unified field of consciousness" would describe this hypothetical field suitably well.

15. Alexander1304 Registered Senior Member

Folks,just today I got reply from Lawrence Krauss regardin Hagelin's views,and his reply was very short(I copy/paste): "I wouldn't believe anything from hagelin"