On the dynamics of interactions between theists and non-theists

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by wynn, Aug 30, 2011.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

and

If these above are examples of theistic reasoning, this explains much of the strife between theists and non-theists.

Namely, those theists are seeing the philosophical and material efforts of non-theists as failure to trust God, hence they accuse non-theists of being childish, assassinate their character, accuse them of lack of committment, that they depend on others too much and such.

Then, when non-theists further engage with such theists, trying to establish some rational basis for belief in God, further circumstances are created in which the non-theists might develop a kind of dependent personality tendency (or even disorder?).

If we look at the exchanges between theists and non-theists, theists are typically in the position of the independent asserter, while non-theists are typically in the position of passivity and reactivity (by asking questions, requesting evidence).
    This is a typical dynamics of an unequal relationship, with one party (the theist) having the upper hand. Such relationships can be very high-stress.

It appears that theists grade the asking of questions and requesting evidence as an act of weakness and proof of a flawed character. Thus, they reply with overt or covert ridicule and contempt for the asker. (Which is something most non-theists are familiar with.)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

An interesting supposition.

Other teachings suggest that a question opens the door to dialogue and potential.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

to believe that some being just said POW you exsist so does all of this quintillion quintillion,quintillion,quintillion,quintillion,quintillionquintillion,quintillion,quintillion,quintillionquintillion miles of space he made for no real reason is outragous to me, is there a higher power maybe. its more likely an ancient civilization made us than some being just said pow you exsist

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Argument from incredulity. Fail.
    And where did the "ancient civilisation" come from? Another fail.

8. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

There are some striking similarities between theists, and dominant/controlling/aggressive personalities. Have you noticed that too?

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its ironic you should say that because I have interacted with theists all my life and have never encountered the above but on my first day here at sciforums - when I posted to reprimand someone who was being derisive of Hindus and called himself "Muslim" - I was immediately set upon by atheists who behaved akin to a clan of hyenas.

And I've had friends from all walks of theism - from the extremely conservative to the laissez faire - without encountering any sort of dominance/controlling.

But perhaps the behaviour of atheists on online forums is educational - its representative of how they would behave as a majority.

10. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

You yourself, Sam, have a tendency to dominate.
    Perhaps this is why you don't notice it in others, or at least aren't bothered by it.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I like to call myself assertive, rather than dominant, but I don't think anyone can accuse me of pushing my religious beliefs onto others, unless I am challenged. I do think that everyone has a right to their own beliefs and I abstain from giving religious advice under any circumstance

12. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Sure, in form, your statements are often assertive. But given the topic of religion/spirituality, content and form can be contradictory.

Even if one doesn't push one's religious views on others, those views can still be such that they invalidate other people's faith and experience.

For example:
    "Everyone who doesn't accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior will burn in hell for all eternity"
    is an assertive statement, sure. But what is says invalidates other people's faith and experience.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Only if they believe it. The first time I went to mass I felt "left out" at not being given communion. But once I realised that the communion represented eating the flesh and drinking the blood of Christ I didn't feel the same way. Not because I am against holy communion but because its not relevant to my world view.

14. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I suppose this is in line with the relativist view you expressed in the other thread:

But then again, you can hardly be considered religious, or a Muslim, so such relativism comes easy to you ...