Lactose free milk

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by ampakine, Aug 25, 2011.

1. ampakine Registered Senior Member

I think I may be lactose intolerant but I've been drinking milk and eating dairy products my whole life and ceasing to eat them leaves a big void. I know you can get drinks containing lactase but another idea would be to add lactase to milk. A single lactase molecule probably catalyses thousands of lactose decomposition reactions so if you were to add a small quantity of it and leave it (preferably stirring if you have a clean overhead or magnetic stirrer) for a day or so I reckon it'd eliminate most of the lactose from the milk. Anyone here tried this?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Haven't done or thought of it. My guess is that it may ruin the quality or taste. I just switched to lactose free milk and soy milk. Soy milk tastes better anyway and is better for you. I also found that eating yogurt daily for a while virtually cleared up my lactose intolerance.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Apparently people do this:

http://www.epinions.com/review/Liquid_Lactase_15_mL/content_463271333508

And apparently, there is a brand of milk treated this way. Lactaid by Johnson & Johnson.

I used to work at a french bakery in the hipster neighborhood, and people would always come in and ask if we had gluten-free bread. I'd put on my best french accent and say "We sell french bread. Get the fuck out."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I have a hard time believing you said that . More like " I will see what I can do next time , Please give Me a tip . Please I will suck the gluten right out of the bread for you .

O.K. O.K. don't Hang-Hillery Me . It was a joke dear

Soup Nazi . You could be ??