Tobacco Warnings

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by superstring01, Jun 21, 2011.

1. superstring01 Moderator

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Wow your that far behind, we are about to go to plain packaging as well

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

if they're that bad then why don't they just outlaw them?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Because people are already adicts and its not fair to suddenly cut them off especially when 9/10 of them are suffering other mental health issues

8. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure about in the US but in Canada, the government makes a fortune from the taxes on cigarettes (and alcohol.)

Over a year ago, they made it mandatory that tobacco products could no longer be sold by a pharmacy, as health care and tobacco use are in direct conflict.

Therefore, big box stores with pharmacies on the premise, can only have a tobacco shop if it is self-contained and has a separate entrance from the street.

That's what happens when ideology and greed come into conflict.

The same government that pays a fortune to run anti-smoking adds collects big bucks from controlling their distribution.

As for outlawing cigarettes?

Impossible to regulate unless you turn the country into a police state. Remember the prohibition on alcohol in the past? It merely provided new 'business opportunity' for rum runners.

Education is ever more effective than regulation, but it takes time.

9. superstring01 Moderator

Oz has, I believe, the strictest regulations on tobacco in the world. From that perspective, everybody is "that far behind".

~String

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

That is such a missnomer, it costs the Australian government over 10 billion a year to treat people for smoking related disease, that ignores all the other costs like lost revinue ect. The tax doesn't go anywhere NEAR covering that

11. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Actually, asguard, addressing the public as if they are incompetent, illiterate and unable to make good decisions is a step backward, not forward.

Perhaps you believe every motor vehicle in Australia should be required to have a picture of a mangled corpse on the side also.

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

So they want to legalize marijuana today. Imagine that they find out in the future that marijuana causes other types of diseases that no one is telling us about today. Just like tobacco , marijuana could become just as destructive in the future if it becomes legalized or not. Just because marijuana doesn't show that it causes cancer today perhaps in the future it will. We don't know what the researchers are hiding from us just like tobacco never told us what it did to people as well.

13. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

There's so many problems with this statement it's hard to know where to begin.
    To be sure though, nearly everything is cancerous in excess. So that we can agree on.

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Actually that reminds me of a campaign about sticking to the speed limit in school zones, it was a poster that was stuck on cars so when people got in the car they saw a "shattered window" and a kids head spattered on the window. Interesting campaign

15. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Indeed it doesn't.

Why does society not treat the causes of tobacco addiction rather than the symptoms?

(The same reason we have spell-check yet don't use it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Human nature.)

16. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i'm pretty sure that 9/10 of everyone are suffering from other mental health issues, but i was a pack a day smoker and quit when i found out i was pregnant. why did i quit? because i knew the risks. i knew the risks before i got pregnant too, but there wasn't a baby involved. i'm sure most people know the risks they're taking, but like me, just don't give a shit.

i read somewhere that there are about 4000 different chemicals in the average cigarette. i don't think it's the tobacco that causes cancer, i think it's all the other shit they put in them.

and the government is such a lying bunch of hypocrites. no matter that they're pumping toxins into our air, food, and water supplies like there's no tomorrow, we'll just keep making money and raise the taxes on cigarettes.

the whole thing is just bullshit.

17. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

exactly. but as far as education is concerned, i find it really hard to believe at this point that it's even an issue. i think people know damn well, they just don't care.

18. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

The education needs to get beyond the 'warnings'.

People need to examine 'why' they choose cigarettes.

Did you know that even a change in diet to healthy food, can make cigarettes start to taste bad?

My mother quit smoking when she was pregnant with me, and perhaps your impending motherhood may be a multi-faceted blessing as it has given you something to look forward to and care about as a motivation to quit smoking.

Good on you, girl!

The tobacco issue is just a symptom, not the true 'disorder' in need of treatment, IMO.

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Why are there "problems" with my statement?

I stated what is very likely to happen if marijuana becomes legal as tobacco has. So don't you think marijuana sould be legalized or not now? I think that because of many health related problems it should not be.

20. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i would agree with that. i think that all of humanity suffers from varying degrees of apathy regarding different things.

funny, i would insist on buying organic fruits and veggies, and then smoke cigarettes. go figure.

21. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

22. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

As a child I used to bite my nails and mother and grandmother painted them with some bad tasting stuff to discourage such behavior.

It didn't work because I wasn't even aware of the taste, the cause of my problem was deep rooted stress. Once circumstances changed, I quit biting my nails.

Interesting about the organic produce, lol.....yet until you became aware of a 'reason' in your life, I doubt you were focusing on the taste of the cigarettes, much like my example above.
    Although many claim tobacco to be an 'addiction', in my observation I would call it a conditioned response or habit which is usually associated with other behaviors.

Modify enough of those other behaviors and you change the habit.

After not smoking my entire life, I began to use rolled tobacco on night shift as an aid to function against my circadian rhythms. I smoke moderately or not at all as the energy entails and do not seem to be bothered by any sensation of 'need', as I observe many who get edgy at the thought of being without a cigarette.

Perhaps it's a genetic thing, or maybe I'm just a control freak.

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

About 4,000 Toxic Chemicals Are Found in the Air We Breathe!

The chlorine insecticides, like DDT, are known to move through the food chain and to make bald eagle lay paper thin shelled eggs or poison the milk of the Inuit (Eskimo) women. The amounts thrown on the fields may look minute but once these carcinogens enter the food chain in small levels, starting with the microscopic algae, it binds to the fat molecules and reaches an increasingly higher concentration (a process named biomagnification) while moving from algae to larvae, fish and eagle or to seal and Inuit.

That's why they were banned in the 70's in U.S. Thousands of everyday chemicals have been checked for their safety by assessing how easily they dissolve in water versus fat. The water-loving ones do not build up in the food chain. But this approach ignores another way for accumulation: air.

A new research has assessed how easily a chemical travels from the lungs into the air versus how easily it dissolves in fats and water. It appeared that thousands of contaminants can build up in air-breathing animals, if not water-breathing ones.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...v-yiDg&usg=AFQjCNHru6R3jqNAdopRljFhll-QpCAuaw