Need help with a physics calulation

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by MacGyver1968, Jun 2, 2011.

1. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Assuming you have an object that weighs 80,000 kg, traveling at 223 meters per second...the kinetic energy of this object would be somewhere around 2 billion joules. right?

If the striking surface area of the object was 500 square feet....what would be the psi or SI equivalent?

Edit: the reason this is in pseudoscience is because it's a 9/11 question. I'm trying to determine the total PSI that the wings and fuselage of a 767 would impart on the perimeter columns.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The energy doesn't help much here.

The object has a momentum of p = mv = 80,000 times 223 kg m/s.

The average force on the surface is:

F = p/t

where t is the time taken for the collision (roughly how long it took the 767 to come to rest from a speed of 223 metres per second).

The pressure across the whole surface is:

pressure = F/A

where A is the total cross-sectional collision area (i.e. total cross-sectional area of the columns that impacted the plane, or roughly the cross-sectional area of the fuselage + wings as seen from the front).

A bit more calculation can give you a ball-park estimate of the various numbers.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Thanks James.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Can't do it that way.
    Both the plane and the towers are too complex of a set of structures.

See NIST NCSTAR1 Report 2 which goes into detail on the modeling of both the towers and the aircraft to determine the damage done by each plane to the respective towers.

http://wtc.nist.gov/NCSTAR1/NCSTAR1-2index.htm

8. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

Can't do it that way. The wings and fuselage aren't solid bodies. They crumple and shred, and so don't transfer all their energy.

9. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I was just trying to get a ballpark figure....it really doesn't matter. I just found out the guy I was discussing this with is a "no planer", which renders him immune to math and physics.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!