Films based on Philip K. Dick stories

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Magical Realist, May 7, 2011.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Bladerunner is one of my all time favorites. I look forward to more of his works turned into film:

Movies and Films based on works by Philip K. Dick - Motion Picture adaptations
    http://www.philipkdick.com/films_intro.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

What is a shame is when an Author never has the chance to involve themselves in the adaption, however the people that create the films are people that have read their works along with other similar works by other authors, so it can generate a blend that would otherwise be missed by just dealing with that one authors interpretation.

The one thing that P. K. Dick seemed to do is make sure that his stories entwined with one universe that he depicted, this meant many of his stories share common characteristics. In for instance the Sprawl series which was greatly influenced by P. K. Dicks work this is taken further with actual characters reappearing in other works.

It seems the greatest scifi writers required building and nurturing a universe not for the selling point of sequels, but for generating greater realism and better plotline mechanism. In some respects is something that many genres of Science Fiction have cottoned onto.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ellie Banned Banned

Dick is awesome.

I only became aware of him after the cartoon movie with the shape shifters. for the longest time I got him confused with Andy Dick.

I dont know, the movie may have been better (to me anyway) without the shape shifting part though. Perhaps it was pulled off better in the book.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. universaldistress Extravagantly Introverted ... Valued Senior Member

'Blade Runner' is immense, but never read 'Androids' so not sure how true to the book it is. I have read a few of his books but must admit I am not a great fan. He IS wildly intelligent but I just can't get on with his style. What about a high budget 'Man in the High castle'?

8. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

Lot of films are based on PKD's work, in fact he's one of the most popular authors with screen writers which is odd because his writing is quirky.

Blade Runner (1982)
    Based on "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

Screamers (1995)
    Based on "Second Variety"

Total Recall (1990)
    Based on "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale"

Confessions d'un Barjo (French, 1992)
    Based on "Confessions of a Crap Artist"

Impostor (2001)
    Based on "Impostor."

Minority Report (2002)
    Based on "The Minority Report."

Paycheck (December 25, 2003)
    Based on "Paycheck."

A Scanner Darkly (July 7, 2006)
    Based on "A Scanner Darkly"

Next (April 27, 2007)
    Based on "The Golden Man"

Films in Production:

The Adjustment Bureau (coming 2010)
    Based on "The Adjustment Team"

King of the Elves (coming 2012)
    Based on "King of the Elves"

9. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

which book/movie is that?????

It's pretty obvious that the Terminator series was very heavily influenced by Second Variety as well

10. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

11. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

It's not particularly faithful. The book has all this other weird stuff like where replicants are running a parallel police force, and generally integrating into society under-the-radar. Also, the protagonist is not himself a replicant in the book. The movie is more like a whole new story that kind of riffs on the basic setting and ideas presented in the book.

12. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

I think it depends on how you define faithful

while certain elements were added and/or removed, the film absolutely nails the fundamental premise of the book

13. Ellie Banned Banned

A Scanner Darkly.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

I've dug out "Solar Lottery" and I've started reading it. I think I must have bought the book years ago and never actually read it or I started to read it but abandoned it probably when something about someone moving to Jupiter was mentioned.

I was very unforgiving about scientific foe-pars in books when I was younger, it used to ruin my suspension of disbelief.
    But I've become a bit more tolerant with age and I can read it now in the context of the time it was written in (1950s).
    His stories update very well when they're written as screenplays.

15. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

I don't recall any shape-shifters in that film (been a while since I watched it though)

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Scary, you missed out Freejack.

17. universaldistress Extravagantly Introverted ... Valued Senior Member

18. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Edit: sorry, you didn't. It was based on a Bob Sheckley story.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!