Why the belief?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by praty, Apr 27, 2011.

1. praty Registered Member

The fear of Death and Unknown creates a belief that we will be able to survive our own death. This is core belief of most of the religions, and if it was required earlier(centuries before) to believe this, why does it still persists? Why can't us humans admit that we don't know rather than putting our faiths in books written by people for whom wheel-barrow would be an emerging technology?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Because we're not so sure of our ignorance after all.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Faith was forced upon me I can't help it.

peace.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lightgigantic Banned Banned

How do you figure that?

8. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

my faith is the result of happenings while alive, not thoughts on, or fears of, death.

9. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6032960

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

You do realize that the article offers absolutely nothing, much like praty's post, in regards to establishing how the presence of fear necessarily renders belief in a solution to it imaginary or baseless or whatever?

11. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

English please

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Just explain what makes you think solutions to fear are imaginary and you will have the beginning of a coherent argument

Referencing some one else who also has the same gaping holes in the ir argument simply makes the problems within yours more pronounced

13. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

Speaking of coherent.... Your posts are a mess as usual.

Say what you want directly. I assume you disagree with the article. Why?

14. lightgigantic Banned Banned

what part of the question "explain what makes you think solutions to fear are imaginary" are you having difficulty with?

15. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

It doesn't make sense to me. Could you ask it in a different manner?

Also could you tell me why you disagree that people subconsciously believe their own immortality?

16. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Ok lets take it r...e...a...l... slow.

Do you see the notion of having an after life as a solution to death (never mind whether you think its real or imaginary .... we will get to that later)

I am not disagreeing with that.

I am disagreeing with categorizing it as necessarily imagination or catalyzed purely by dire need... or as praty says in the OP

The fear of Death and Unknown creates a belief that we will be able to survive our own death.

17. praty Registered Member

light,

The people who truly believe in afterlife like the Egyptians, who were most famous for it, have no other reason to do so.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  18. praty Registered Member

Well its high time we should be.

19. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Being sure of one's ignorance is a contradiction in terms.

20. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

You will need to explain this, please.

I see no necessary correlation between fear of death and belief in one's immortality.

21. lightgigantic Banned Banned

so you think if fear plays apart in granting value to a solution, the solution is necessarily farcical?

so for instance, solutions to disease partake of the same farcical nature you attribute to religion since whatever erodes health and well being is a cause of fear?

22. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Praty has not said at any point that the solution is necessarily farcical, nor can anything he has said be implied as such.

The point is that the holding of the belief, as part of a solution or otherwise, gives no credence to the tenet of the belief, but nor does it refute that tenet in any way.

You really do like using inappropriate / fallacious analogies to help create and destroy your strawmen, don't you.

23. praty Registered Member

Why else would someone want to be immortal? A wishful thinking that can't be asserted in any way, rather than admitting it's not possible to ever find out and live without fear of death, judgment and eternity.

Don't stray, i wish to sort out the reason for believe in supernatural with no evidence and no chance of getting any evidence.