If there were no God, there would be no atheists

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Mind Over Matter, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Mind Over Matter Registered Senior Member

The title is quite confusing. My mind became convoluted after reading this. Can anyone care to explain this please?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

It's wrong though. It shoulda said: If there were no theists, there would be no atheists. Not because atheists would believe in some other magic, but because the word atheist would give no meaning.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Because it's wrong.
    If there were no claims of god's existence there would be no atheists. Since atheism is a stance regarding that claim.
    If god actually existed and no one knew or thought about him (hence no claims) then there would be neither theists nor atheists.
    Similarly if he didn't exist and no one thought about him then there'd be neither.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Some would say the title is false... they would say that there IS NO God, and there ARE atheists.

8. gmilam Valued Senior Member

It's your title. You came up with non-sense.

9. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Here's an even more interesting question.

If there were no G-d, would we really be having this discussion?

10. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

Also: lol @ my mind became convoluted.

Maybe your brain isn't working that well. Have you considered that?

11. Mind Over Matter Registered Senior Member

Yes, but I am more confused about Pastafarianism. I mean, I respect all beliefs, but how could it possibly be credible to anybody that God is a flying spagetti monster? Spagetti didn't even exist until a few centuries ago. And everybody knows that pirates were theives and murderers. How can Pastafarians believe in these things? They make no sense what so ever. Who invented Pastafarianism? Please explain how people can believe it...

12. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

It would appear that you're an aFSMist (atheist with regard to the FSM).
    That must mean (going by your thread title) that he does actually exist.
    Thank you for the confirmation.

13. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

I didn't know this thread was about Pastafarianism. Pirates have been framed as thieves and murderers by and antipastifarian conspiracy. I believe that the christians were behind it. And I'm not saying God is the Flying Spaghetti Monster. The Flying Spaghetti monster is the Flying Spaghetti monster. God is not real. There can be only one omnipotent god and thet happens to be mine. :shrug:

14. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

L O L good point

15. Mind Over Matter Registered Senior Member

No, in fact it exists. I have eaten a lot of pasta in my life.

bite your tongue
    Gallo Chianti, in the gallon jugs.

Maybe tomorrow the FSM will turn into a pancake.

16. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

No. Please don't make fun of my religion that way or I will have to report you.

17. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Why would there be atheists if there were no God?

If there were no God, then
    either
    1. there would be no need to point this out, and the terms "theist" and "atheist" would be redundant (we don't have words for things or concepts that don't have referents),
    or
    2. if the terms "theist" and "atheist" would still be used, it still remains to be explained how they have fallen into the illusion of declaring their identity/adherence to something that has no referent.

18. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

1. Wrong. People can still believe in gods even if they aren't there and not believe in them as well. All it takes is for somebody to imagine a god that we can be theist or atheist about. Hence "theist" and "atheist" are still applicable.

2. there are plenty of plausible explanations.

19. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Random Fact:

The Chinese were eating noodles around 3-4 thousand years ago, they dug up an old kitchen and found remains of ancient noodles, it might not be speghetti but hey it's not far off.

Peace be with you.

20. ArmisExposcerePacem Registered Member

The Christian god used to be a vengeful, mass-murdering sycophant in the old testament, before he got all hippiefied by being channeled through a jewish zombie. It's perfectly reasonable to argue that the FSM was once the Flying Ramen Monster. Perhaps there is a gospel we haven't found yet, which explains how the faith moved from China to Italy. Must be in the Apastapha.

21. Nasor Valued Senior Member

If there were no claims of god's existence then everyone would be an atheist, but there wouldn't be a specific word for the condition of not believing in a god. Just like no one believes in worbats (a flying purple monster that I just made up 5 seconds ago), but we don't have a word to denote people who don't believe in worbats.

22. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Aaargh!
    I just found out I'm aworbatist!
    I wonder if have to follow any special procedures...

23. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Haha I love that line.