Do you believe god communicates with me?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Lori_7, Apr 7, 2011.

?

Do you believe god communicates with me?

1. yes

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. no

23 vote(s)
    71.9%
  3. i don't know

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. i don't care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

in response to apparent codependent tendencies of certain members of sciforums, i was asked to create this poll. i have stated on this forum many times that god does communicate with me. Do you believe that or not? Why or why not?

i think my experience has already given me some pretty good insight as to what the results of this poll will be. i don't expect to be surprised. it's not that i don't care if people believe me. it's just that whether they do or not doesn't change anything for me. but if the results coddle the egos of some fellow sciforums members then fine.

i'd like to make it a little more interesting too by addressing some accusations from another thread here. does my stating that god communicates with me hurt you and if so, how and why? does it alienate you? does it make you feel threatened? why? do you think that either the communication itself or my belief in the communication and testimony regarding it would cause me to be to incapable of empathy and why?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

As someone who does not believe in the existence of god, it's fairly obvious I would also not believe that god communicates with you.

And in answer to your questions: No, your stating that god communicates with you does not hurt me. It does not alienate me, nor make me feel threatened.

As for the question of empathy, are the two necessarily related?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Why shouldn't I believe that what you say isn't true to you? Everyone has their beliefs and if your says that you should hear voices/chants or other types of things then by all means have at it. Just do not expect everyone else to be as believing as you are and if we do not hear things means that we just do not believe in whatever you seem to.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

well, the accusation was made in another thread and i didn't understand it. imo my interaction with god has enabled me to be more empathetic towards others. :shrug:

i'm glad you don't feel hurt or threatened.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

you believe that i believe it, but you don't believe it because you don't hear it.

is that correct? if it is, that seems reasonable to me.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Yes, that's my take. I've known others that claim they can see ghosts as well but I think they think that they really do so I just let them believe in whatever they want to. Their beliefs don't interfer with my non beliefs for as yet I've never seen or heard a ghost.

10. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

By definition, yes.

Not immediately. But the background thought "what will her delusion consist of in the future?" leaves the possibility. It's a small step from "God talks directly to me" to "God wants me to "cleanse" the world".

Of course. For the simple reason that you are utterly convinced that the voice in your head is god and can therefore tell you no wrong. At some point you may be faced with the choice of "I'm not going to do that, therefore it's possible it's not actually god talking to me" or following what you think you have been told in total conviction that you are correct and everyone else is wrong. How empathetic is that last?

11. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

but couldn't you say the same thing then about any experience we don't share?

well if it's any consolation, god's been the one responsible for my own cleansing. i have no reason to believe god won't work that way for the rest of the world too.

well there is a lot to address in what you've said here, but in regards to empathy, if i understand why people don't believe what i do then isn't that still empathetic?

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

As there is no evidence of God,its statistical more likely that someone who claims that God talks to them is mentally ill than acurate.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

To me you have done your own "cleansing" because if you weren't in control of yourself then no one else could have done it but you.

14. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

I believe that Lori believes that he/she talks to God. So I'd have to say none of the above.

15. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Only to a limited extent. Most declared experiences tend to fall within a certain range - a range that is, by definition, "normal".

So far. There have been a number of serial killers and the like who stated that "God told them to do it". How is their "experience" fundamentally different from yours?

Is it? Do you actually understand or just think you do?

16. drumbeat Registered Senior Member

No. Because I don't believe in a god.
    No.
    No.
    No. Why would it threaten me? Strange question.
    No. People can empathise with or without a faith, and similarly some can not.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I said no, because there isn't a god, but people can perceive things that aren't there. I've talked to gods myself and it's essentially unbelievable. Lori_7 is a fine and sincere person, probably not mentally ill, but she is delusional. Hey, it happens.

18. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

if "normal" means commonly occurring then how does it apply to what we're talking about here? does it really make a difference in terms of alienation if one person's experience differs from yours, or many people's experience differs from yours in the same way? wouldn't you feel more alienated if my experience were considered normal?

i don't think that sharing unusual experiences has to be a bad thing. i think that when people feel threatened it makes it bad, and people do feel threatened by it.

the fruit of the experience is telling. bottom line is that god has helped me. the interaction, experience, and understanding i've received has been beneficial to me and not just by my own standards. the people who know me well may not believe in god, but they do believe that i am an honest, reasonable, intelligent, and kind person, and they trust me. perhaps that causes conflict for them, but i don't see it in their behavior.

no, i understand. i didn't always believe what i do now, and i'm sure my beliefs will change as i experience and understand more. i wasn't willing to take another person's word for it...when it came to a belief in god. i had to experience it for myself in order to believe, and that's how i think it should happen.

19. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

what does this mean?

20. Yazata Valued Senior Member

No.

Well, I don't believe in God, so naturally I question whether he communicates with anyone.

And assuming for the sake of discussion that God does exist and does communicate with people, you just don't come across to me as somebody who has been touched by the divine. I would expect to see imperturbable inner peace, boundless compassion and extraordinary wisdom, stuff like that.

No, I'm not hurt. These kind of boasts might not do you any good, though.

Yes. It makes me less likely to think that I can have an intelligent conversation with you.

No.

Boasts of having received divine revelations make people seem kind of self-involved, and that's not really conducive to empathy. But your empathy or lack of it has never been an issue for me.

21. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i am peaceful, and compassionate, and i've learned a lot. what do you want to know? what do you want from me? sometimes it seems like people ignore what i say so they can continue arguing with each other. :shrug:

why do you consider it boasting? i mean, it could be under certain circumstances that have more to do with my intent than the statement itself, but in particular in a forum where things like religion and the paranormal are intentionally discussed.

so it's not based on my level of intelligence, but on an assumption you're making about god, and an experience i'm testifying to that's unrelated to my intelligence.

well, my revelation is to love people, and that communion makes life meaningful.

22. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

Lori, I think a more interesting question would be what you think of us who obviously don't/can't talk to god like you. Is there a significance to it, or are you just one of a lucky few in your opinion?

Does it bother you that there are some atheists who were once believers, but maybe because god didn't talk to them like he talks to you, they lost their faith? Assuming he never ever talks to them, and that salvation is only through belief, not through acts, as I think you've stated before that you believe, is that really fair to those who did make an effort? Seems that god took free will out of the picture, as he didn't give them anything to work with.

23. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

yeah it does bother me, because i see communion with god and with each other as the solution to all of our problems. so that's what i focus on, communing with god and with others. i know i'm not the only one who's heard from god but there are so many unknowns that it's futile to attempt to judge another person's path. i suppose that's where my faith comes in, that no matter what our differences are there is an ultimate and overriding justice and meaning supporting our existence.