Bible poll V2.0

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by YoYoPapaya, Apr 3, 2011.

?

WHo wrote the Bible

Poll closed Apr 10, 2011.
  1. I believe the Bible was written by man under the control of God.

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. I believe the Bible was written by man, but was divinely inspired and is infallible.

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. I believe the Bible was written by man, was divinely inspired, but may not be perfect.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I believe the Bible was written by man alone. I am a theist.

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. I believe the Bible was written by man alone. I am an atheist.

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
  6. I believe the Bible was written by man alone. I am an agnostic.

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  7. Other. Describe below.

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

After the other poll failed epically I'm gonna redo the poll with more questions this time. Thanks to those who helped me with new questions.

Original thread is here:

[thread]107287[/thread]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2011
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

I believe the Bible was written by man on instructions from God.
    I also believe the Bible was altered by man against the instructions of god.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

Awesome. This is the kind of response that I like to hear. Let's keep this thread friendly shall we?

What do you reckon was changed and what was "intended" to be in there? Any guesses?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

I know that "a thousand and one nights" "aesop's fables" " the illiad" and "the bible" are man made, you have to be a fool to think anything else.

8. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

That's not exactly "keeping it friendly" is it?
    You could have said: "I believe it's manmade because ....."

9. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

Written by many persons over a long stretch of time, parts probably borrowed from older stories. Altered by errors, mistranslations, and purposeful edits. Compiled by the Church, who left out what wasn't useful or might have been harmful to the effectiveness of the writings. Reinterpreted multiple times by groups who disagreed on the messages.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Its a fable that keeps being added to and updated as the people who are updating it think it needs to be done for the times. As with any myth the only way to keep people interested is to keep it in the spotlight any way possible and that's why you see it so often.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

What is unfriendly about my post, I'm only stating the truth, if a person believes a myth is fact, then they are a fool. There is no other name for them.

MYTH
    1. a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.
    2. stories or matter of this kind: realm of myth.
    3. any invented story, idea, or concept: His account of the event is pure myth.
    4. an imaginary or fictitious thing or person.
    5. an unproven or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/myth

12. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

That's an opinion. No reason to be calling people fools though. You could easily find a more polite way of expressing yourself couldn't you?

13. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

They will never learn about there ignorance if we always pussy foot around them, I will only give respect if the recipient is deserved of it. This is a science forum, where we discuss in a logical and reasoned way, believing in myths isn't reasonable nor logical. It is downright foolish.

14. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

I hear what you're saying.
    All i asked was for this thread to be sort of clean... From both sides... So people aren't getting discouraged from doing poll.

15. Cifo Day destroys the night, Registered Senior Member

It's pretty much agreed that the early parts of the Bible were prehistoric oral traditions that were eventually recorded after the invention of writing. People can get picky about some details, but here are the reasons I see more knowledge in the Bible than is humanly possible. (Bible — Science)
    • Creation — Big Bang
    • Fish, then animals, then humans — Evolution
    • God limits human life to 120 years — Max human life of 120 years
    • "Springs of the great deep" — Hydrothermal vents
    • Noah’s flood — Prehistoric flood
    • One language then confusion at Babel in central Asia — One proto-human language in central Asia
    Illiterate, uneducated, prehistoric people somehow knew about things that astrophysicists, biologists, physicians, oceanographers, geologists and linguists have only learned in the last couple hundred years. It's the "somehow" that impresses me.

16. leopold Valued Senior Member

i believe the bible was written by several authors over a stretch of time in a discontinuous pattern.
    these individual "books" were later bound into what we now know as "the bible".
    there is some interesting stuff in it if you can take it.
    i do not believe in a "supernatural being"

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's a stretch. The Bible is an inkblot test, people see what they want to see in it. I wonder why it doesn't mention the germ theory of disease, but it does go about witches.

18. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Pssst... It's "their".

19. birch Valued Senior Member

knew about what? nothing you lists has anything to do with what you are assuming it is.

the creation story describes or is correlated to the big bang? lol

fish, animals, then humans? so that is why adam was made from dirt i see. and i'm the crazy one because i argue about possibilities?

god limits life to 120 years or that is what they observed? and???

noah's flood? floods have been recorded in many cultures. and???

confusion at babel? so???

this all means what?? that all this so-called knowing came about through supernatural means??? lmfao

there are more accurate info recorded about events as well as cosmology that predate the written texts of the bible in other cultures as well.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  20. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

Off topic, but correct, my bad I was rushing it.

But you shouldn't criticise other peoples spelling, it says more about you, than it does them. English could be their second language.

In my case it was my error, so I accept the criticism.

Bad spelling isn't a real problem to deal with on discussion forums, but foolishness is.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I picked the option: "I believe the Bible was written by man alone. I am an atheist," but I'm really an agnostic atheist

22. keith1 Guest

Other--who cares.

23. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

you have to be a fool to label others fools for upholding a certain concept, except if that concept is the concept pf labeling others as fools for upholding a certain concept.