Linguistic Virus?

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by darksidZz, Mar 28, 2011.

1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Is it possible that someone could construct using Psychoanalytic. NLP, Cognitive principles and theory a new linguistics that would completely change human thought / reasoning?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I don't know about that , but the existing linguistics do pretty good . You would be surprised at how one well placed word can make change happen . How it can Make humans think and reason. Strings of words geared to subconscious thought work great too. Hypnosis yeah . Like the lyrics coupled with the sound of music with a good back beat mesmerizes large groups of people at the same time . Yeah that is a great way to get into peoples thoughts and change them

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The world's existing languages vary dramatically among themselves, and each one shapes the thoughts of its speakers by providing a framework for them. If you want a new mode of "thought and reasoning," just learn a language that is not closely related to your own, or better yet, not related at all.

Chinese has no gender. After a few days of using a single pronoun for "he" and "she," you start to wonder why you've always unconsciously assumed that all doctors are male and all teachers are female.

Yet our thoughts have as much power over our language as it has over them. Throughout the 20th century we struggled to identify all the new kinds of relationships that came with the Post-Industrial Revolution. The pitiful array of prepositions left over from the Stone Age just wasn't enough.

So we invented a brand-new grammatical construction: the noun-adjective compound. User-friendly, fuel-efficient, labor-intensive, carbon-neutral...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Isn't that what religion is?

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

No.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think such things are already happening. Orwell predicted it, but now we have language used by politicians that has been carefully focus-grouped for visceral effect and it's ability to obfuscate meaning rather than illustrate it.

10. wellwisher Banned Banned

Language is a two-sided coin. It can be used to help us conceptualize and transfer meaning. But it can also be used to confuse meaning; spin and lying. The used car salesman will use language to transfer meaning that may not even exist in reality, yet may people will fall for the illusion.

The way it appears to work is connected to emotional induction. If he can make the customer "feel" positive (kiss butt), he will attempt to use language to place the con under the umbrella of emotion; good feeling means it is true.

Conversely, if we induce a negative emotion, and place the truth under that umbrella, the truth will appear false. For example, the debate between religion and science tends to trigger a negative emotion so even subtle truth will appear false. The con effect keeps segregation alive.

These special effects appear to be connected to the difference between the two hemispheres of the brain. The right hemisphere is more spatial and uses a 3-D language called symbols, whereas the left hemisphere is more differential and uses normal language. The extra emotional induction of the con, adds another dimension to the 2-D of cause and effect of normal language to create sort of a spatial illusion. But it is not really 3-D, which is why the con works.

The right brain organizes data into spatial memories. For example, the 3-D symbol "tree" is a very generic image in the mind onto which any tree type can overlay; spatial. The left brain is more differential, and will see a specific tree such as the pine tree. To go from this pine tree to mean every tree, 3-D, you need another dimension added to 2-D logic. This is done with emotional induction.

It is not really 3-D but because it is heading toward 3-D, there is an urge to move in that direction since it is more progressed. It sort of allows one to use both sides of the brain, at the same time, rather than just half the brain associated with normal language.

11. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

This sounds like nonsense. Links please.

12. wellwisher Banned Banned

Don't let negative emotion create the illusion that your bias is spatially integrated, therefore all else has to be false. You are not using enough of the left brain for that to be true.

All from Wikipedia; search for two hemispheres of the brain

The trick is to use emotional appeal and language to get the right brain more involved.

Before there was human language as we know it, the right hemisphere was more dominant, processing perceptual information from the sensory systems. Language helped the left brain differentiate in much more recent history. It is still possible to think without left hemisphere based language, if you use the language of the right hemisphere. This possiblity may be why people ike to be conned via emotion. This is sort of a bridge effect.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  13. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Don't let yourself get carried away.
    Neither of your quotes support your statement.
    What makes you think that "normal language" is a "2D cause and effect"?
    What makes you think that emotions add another "dimension" to make a "sort of a spatial illusion".
    This is the nonsense I was querying.

14. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Some of what he said is true . Salesman play on emotion . It is well known that if you can trigger an emotional effect in a couple then the hook is set and a sales chance of success will be heightened. Sales is geared to the female because they are more susceptible to emotional response buying. Man can be too , but his emotional objectives are different . His are more Me, Me ,Me and a mans needs are a cave and a beer life is good mentality were has a woman appears to think more governance as a whole type thoughts

15. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

So what?
    If you bothered to read my posts, especially the part of his that I quoted then you'd realise what I'm querying.

Really? Ever been to buy a car?
    Ever seen an advert for aftershave? Beer?

16. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

If you look at my post closer I said beer and cave . It is assumed your cave has a car parked out front with a loaded shot gun in the trunk . After shave is for pussies

17. wellwisher Banned Banned

Normal language operates in a range from 1-D to 2-D. The letters of the alphabet are linear or 1-D with a one-to-one correspondence. Words can be linear by having very specific meaning. This is common to science. Other words can be higher than 1-D, especially when a word has more than one meaning. We can combine words to express logic. Logic is 2-D because it is based on cause and effect (x,y) axis.

To add the z-axis to make it 3-D, we need to use the right brain. The 3-D side of the brain is often connected to intuitive perception. Being 3-D, it is not always easy to express with words, coming out very esoteric. Esoteric attempts to induce the intutitive ambiance needed to express the z-axis using the limits of 2-D language.

Let me give an example of the contrast. Picture a 3-D ball. We can approximate this ball will a large number of planes, at different angles, all of which intersect at the center point. Each plane is a 2-D rational plane using language. The sum of all points of view (all planes) approximates nature of the 3-D concept.

Say we used a concept like God, since this is easy to see. As a 3-D concept God is like the ball. Each rational plane, used to approximate this 3-D ball, would be like a different religion, using language to create the linear associations of traditions and the 2-D logic of the doctrine.

Each religion will feel it is the correct one, since each rational plane does indeed intersect the 3-D ball, dead center, but since since all are just right hemisphere approximations of 3-D, using language, this is not exactly true. But the intuitive feeling from the right brain will be felt, since each plane will intersect 3-D, giving the feeling of conviction. Whe there are many theories in science this effect also happens.

There is also what I call a spatial illusion. As an analogy, we can draw a 3-D ball on a flat or 2-D piece of paper, using shadowing and highlighting to create the illusion of 3-D.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It is flat or 2-D, but emotional shadowing can be used to trick the eyes into thinking it is 3-D, even when it is draw a 2-D plane. The con job will create these 3-D illusions to get the right brain involved. If you don't know how it works, people get fooled.

18. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I see you missed the words "Links please".
    This reads like it's your own idea.
    And it appears to be unsupported by anything.

19. wellwisher Banned Banned

This is connected to an original set of ideas I developed years ago. I was based on research I did.

If you (in general terms) have ever done research and development work, you first hav to come up with a new idea. You then start with the new ideas, brain storm, and "then" collect the data. If you don't do R&D but copy others, you can skip these forwards steps and compare final published results. This idea set was designed to be more like early stage R&D than quoting a tradition. Most sites don't seem to know how to integrate the R&D side of science, but tend to be more like airport security, on guard for anything not in the book of published traditions.

20. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Right. So it's unsupported nonsense.

I have. And I'm also aware that R&D isn't science.

In science you make an observation, collect data and THEN come up with a hypothesis.
    Your idea isn't science.
    Consider, for one thing, that all the above ("speech", visualisation, logic etc.) take place in the brain. How can any of them have "more dimensions" than any other?

21. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

22. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

23. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

In effect, it is.
    Straightforward talking is "normal language" a kind of "2D cause and effect" - you know where you stand.
    Manipulation adds a layer or a dimension that for most of us, doesn't seem to be directly connected to the thing, or at least we would normally think that the other person has no business telling us about it as it is a personal matter.

For example, an image editor that comes with a camera has a quick guide, one of the sections is "How to enjoy a video presentation?"
    Now what on earth is the word "enjoy" doing there?! Are they going to teach me how to enjoy, how to take pleasure in watching pictures? Obviously not, but it is what they nominally say.

Straight language would be "How to make and run a video presentation?"