Twelve unsustainable things

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by lightgigantic, Mar 24, 2011.

?

Whats the best option to save the day.

1. Improved technology

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Improved technology with a little bit of refined societal behaviour/attitudes

33.3%
  3. refined societal behaviour/attitudes

8.3%
  4. refined societal behaviour/attitudes with a little bit of improved technology

50.0%
  5. Dunno

8.3%
  1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Twelve unsustainable things that will soon come to a disastrous end on our planet

(more details on the link but in short ...)

1) Debt-based banking and economic systems
    2) Conventional agriculture and "rape the planet" farming
    3) Mass-consumption economies based on buy-it-and-trash-it behavior
    4) The accelerating loss of farming soils
    5) The mass poisoning of the oceans and aggressive over-fishing
    6) Mass genetic pollution of the planet through GMOs
    7) The drugs-and-surgery conventional medical system
    8) Widespread pharmaceutical contamination of the human population and the environment
    9) Runaway human population growth
    10) Fossil water consumption for agriculture
    11) Fossil fuel consumption
    12) The widespread destruction of animal habitat

Whats the call folks?
    New technology or new behavior to save the day?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

How about both?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Birth restrictions.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Some of those are real and some are just plain silly! Let's see you offer some solid proof of numbers 1, 6, 7 and 9.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Let's see you use herbal medicine to treat your inflamed appendix. The rest is pretty much true.

9. drumbeat Registered Senior Member

We don't need restrictions in the West, because richer nations populations stabilise and even decrease.

I think it would be unfair on developing countries for the richer nations to call for birth restrictions in their countries. That's up to them to decide, like China.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I know it's not likely to ever happen as a global effort, but it should.
    How else do we bring down the population from 7 billion to, say, 500 million?

11. John99 Banned Banned

I dont understand some of those either.

Just to start at first one, why isnt that sustainable?

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What on Earth is "Fossil water"??

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Old water from deep aquifers that are not readily replaced.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Ah thanks, Spider. And here I was, thinking it was an error

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Number 9 is thirty years out of date! How are we supposed to trust the validity of the rest? The second derivative of population went negative in 1980! Nobody foresaw that prosperity would be the ultimate contraceptive.

Population is now expected to peak at less than ten billion toward the end of this century, and then start falling!

We'll have a whole new set of problems then, particularly with the financing of pensions. But the up-side is that as a demographic group, young people are much more hot-headed and prone to violence than us old people, so there will be a massive dropoff in crime and war.

Yeah I know old people sit in their palaces and their White Houses and declare war on each other, but have you noticed how they never participate in the actual fighting? They hide in their nuclear-proof bunkers and send young people to do their dirty work. When young people are scarce and precious I don't think anyone is going to be willing to take that risk!

Economics will be turned on its head with a shrinking population, so all the economic problems we have today will be replaced by problems we can't possibly imagine.

Most of the rest of the issues on that list are direct effects or side-effects of population growth, so they'll be gone too.

I can't imagine what you have against drugs and surgery. Do you include vaccines and public health measures like sewers and street cleaning too? Modern scientific medicine has saved hundreds of millions of lives, especially young lives. Perhaps you'd rather live in the Stone Age when infant mortality was something like 80%? Or in the Roman Era when they knew nothing about vitamins and minerals and life expectancy for the vast majority of the people who couldn't afford to eat meat was about 25 years?

This is complete bullshit and it's not worthy of SciForums. It should be sent to the Cesspool with the rest of the Luddite woo-woo!

16. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

HEY! THAT'S A DANGEROUS LINK!

You should put a warning up for people with nut allergies to don gloves and respiratory protection before clicking on the link!

That guy claims that governments are suppressing cold fusion technology to keep us controlled!

I mean, you wouldn't want anybody to have to be rushed to the hospital now, would you, LG???

Peak oil's real. Antibiotic-resistant bacteria are real-and could very well limit what can be done surgically in the future. Transplants from donors may no longer be doable.

GM hasn't yet blown up in our faces-but could. Maybe it won't.

Soil depletion's real...real simple way to stop it, too: no-till agriculture. Doesn't have to be organic, I don't think.

Water's a big issue...seems like a great way to send water somewhere up a drainage grade... would be a solar furnace making steam to send up a pipe to another location...to be condensed into drinking water at the other end...would work well in sunny California much of the year, and at a lot of near-coastal locations that need extra water...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  17. lightgigantic Banned Banned

By applying the same means you (attempt to) use to discredit the 9th one of course ... unless you have some nifty argument that since we don't have to worry about world population, we don't have to worry about accelerated loss of farming soils and what not.
    :shrug:

I'm not sure you understand. Its claiming that the future continued use of these things paints a bleak picture. IOW even if penicillin has done a wonderful job int he past, the future doesn't look too rosy.
    At the moment I am not sure whether you simply don't understand the points being raised or if you are being emotional.

18. drumbeat Registered Senior Member

Tbh I don't even think you completely understand your own points.

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Better technology is useless unless you change attitudes.

20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

To say the least, there are a few of them besides world population ....

21. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I see you chose to ignore my request for PROOF of your "points." Yeah, About what I expected.:bugeye:

22. lightgigantic Banned Banned

So I guess that leaves you with 8 unsustainable things ....

23. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

LG, to be serious, I find it a pretty poorly-written article, and the writer looks like a huckster...
    He calls himself the "Health Ranger?"

Apparently he's going to be on the Alex Jones show...and you KNOW how much that adds to his credibility for me...

It's not that I don't agree with what he has to say...it's that wackos like this make reasoned people who make the same arguments look bad.