if christian god ever existed...

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Avatar, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

God died while playing dice, but the dice just kept rolling.
    Be happy , if you get a good combination, think that it is extremely stupid if bad, but don't worship dice

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

"I cannot believe that god plays dice." -Albert Einstein

Well somebody had to say it right?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

It's catchy

The Earth is a Libra, according to some. That would, actually, explain a good amount.

But it's my turn to play objectivist nitpicker.

After God stops rolling the dice, they must stop at some point in order to offer the good or bad combination. Inertia tells us that the dice will stay at rest then until put into motion by some force.

Or are these magic dice?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And, yes, I'm just having fun with it.

thanx,
    Tiassa

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ekimklaw Believer in God Registered Senior Member

maybe I spoke too soon...

==============================================
    God died while playing dice, but the dice just kept rolling.
    Be happy , if you get a good combination, think that it is extremely stupid if bad, but don't worship dice
    ==============================================

There is a trollish odor to this post...

Was this intended to make other atheists laugh, or to make the one or two Christians here seem stupid? Just curious...

-Mike

(insert favorite emoticon here!)

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Mike ...

I would advise to just let it go. It's merely atheist "wit", and while it may seem simplistic to some, there is room in the world for such cute ideas. Think of it this way: now that the idea is stated, it is registered in some people's minds. If they're at all objective and have any sense of conceptual integrity, the problems of the idea will be apparent as I chided.

It's not as if anyone can pick up that idea and walk a nuke into the heart of any given faith. It depends entirely upon peripheral issues that are either a natural part of faith or not, depending on each person's circumstances.

A novel you might have fun with is called Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Pratchett and Gaiman. I recommend it for anyone; it's where I got the Libra joke and, for those who have seen me make the dinosaur bones joke, it's in there. And one of my favorite summaries on young-earth creation appears in those same early pages. The novel is a farcical abuse of Christian mythology to the point that I wonder why anyone was upset about Dogma (although Good Omens is not as blatantly rooted in Catholicism). But it is hilarious, and has a lot of good British jokes. I can even drop jaws on occasion with a Milton Keynes joke thanks to these guys.

I often think that it is to this standard that such atheistic wit as you have objected to aspires, but not being the atheist saying it, I cannot be sure. The story itself is fun enough, but the opening pages are astounding. Laugh through that one and I promise you such atheistic wit will seem less trollish, vitriolic, or offensive. Sure, I might criticize it as simplistic or shortsighted or narrow-minded, but at least the thinking behind it is in a different vein from angry condemnation. From this seemingly impotent seed of wit in the topic post might flower one of the better discussions we could have on this board. It's up to everybody to make it so or not.

Oh, and there is a bit in Good Omens about God playing cards, but I can't recall anything about dice off the top of my head.

thanx,
    Tiassa

9. Xev Registered Senior Member

"If ever I have played dice with the gods at the divine table of the earth, so that the earth quaked and ruptured, and snorted forth fire-streams..."

--You know who