Anyone notice that the bible doesn't make a lick of sence?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Spiderhollis, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Spiderhollis Registered Member

If you look at the bible in all of its over hyped glory you will start to notice a trend of hypocrisy and non-sequitur meanings.

If you read about Jebus's (this is what I call him when I am arguing against religion) first miracle, he turn water into wine; great trick eh? Well you have to look at the context of it to understand (well in this case not understand). He is at a wedding where they have run out of alcohol (I come from an Irish family so I have witnessed that it can happen) so he stands up and says something along the lines of "drink not from the bottle but from the eternal love of your lord" then turns the water into wine. So to sum it all up he stands up tells a bunch of drunk people not to drink alcohol. Then proceeds to provide them with more alcohol. Thats like giving a pyro gas and expecting him not to burn your car down.

Next the Ideas of prayer, an omnipotent "god", free will, and a destined path for everyone; all clash. If there is an all powerful god who has set out a path for everyone that we will fallow whether we want to or not; contradicts that we have free will. And if our lives are set out wouldn't we just be praying because he has set out that will will pray about an issue. So the verdict of whatever it is you were praying about is already set and the prayer is not only in vain. But it doesn't accomplish the secondary goal of making yourself closer to god because it was pre ordained by him and not of your own free will.

And finally there were over 40 authors of what we call the bible which is made up of something in the neighborhood of 66 books. Well that is after the Catholic church cut it down to serve their own messages a few hundred years ago. I mean as boondock saints puts it "the largest company in the world". well I don't know about you all but if I could make that much money off of finding a bunch of books with commonality stringing them together and indoctrinating the young to believe in whatever message you want to throw out there. I would be out to Coles tonight to pick up some Bram Stoker, Hannah Howell, Laura Adrian, and Stephanie Meyer. And start me the church of the fang; We will read hymns about Edward Cullen all night and ill watch the indoctrination unfold in front of me.

Well I am tired now. so thanks for reading if not. well thanks for not caring. I am sure ill be posting later about how the Ideological divides that religion has cause makes it the sole proprietor for at least half the deaths ever died.

-This being my first post in almost any forum anywhere that doesn't have to do with mechanics tell me what you think.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Common meme on the forum: why won't you believe as I do?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Sounds like a bunch of cliches.
    How much of this stuff came from you?

jan.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I don't see that in the Bible.
    You will find lots of apparent contradictions in the Bible. However that does not mean that is is hypocritical. I think that if one wants to understand the Bible, one has to understand the perspective of it authors. It is a collection of texts intended for all mankind to guide them to a better way of living and understanding.

Even Christ said there were secrets. Some people have more knowledge than others. Some have more understanding than others. For some, they need rigid law in order to give them security; for others understanding the wisdom behind the law is more important than the law itself. It is a book for all people; for each it provides a different perspective and meaning.

8. superstring01 Moderator

I think that the New Testament made a lot of sense.

~String

9. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

hollis..go check the other threads, if you are truly seeking understanding the other threads will enlighten you,
    if you are not seeking understanding, the other threads will refine your questions..

10. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

the bible is no different that childrens books on fairy tales

11. Adstar Valued Senior Member

I would like you to provide any proof of your quote of what you say Jesus said. ""drink not from the bottle but from the eternal love of your lord"
    I cannot find it.

I will quote the passage where Jesus did turn water into wine. and Bolden what He said according to the bible.

John 2
    1 On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. 2 Now both Jesus and His disciples were invited to the wedding. 3 And when they ran out of wine, the mother of Jesus said to Him, “They have no wine.”
    4 Jesus said to her, “Woman, what does your concern have to do with Me? My hour has not yet come.”
    5 His mother said to the servants, “Whatever He says to you, do it.”
    6 Now there were set there six waterpots of stone, according to the manner of purification of the Jews, containing twenty or thirty gallons apiece. 7 Jesus said to them, “Fill the waterpots with water.” And they filled them up to the brim. 8 And He said to them, “Draw some out now, and take it to the master of the feast.” And they took it. 9 When the master of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and did not know where it came from (but the servants who had drawn the water knew), the master of the feast called the bridegroom. 10 And he said to him, “Every man at the beginning sets out the good wine, and when the guests have well drunk, then the inferior. You have kept the good wine until now!”

I cannot find any call from Jesus in the bible for anyone to stop drinking. The bible does stand against drunkenness, definitely, but this is not a call to cease drinking.

Contradictory to one who does not understand God has foreknowledge of all Human history. And it is from His foreknowledge that He predestined those who would spend eternity with Him and who would not.

You need to learn more before you make statements. The original Bible was 66 books. The catholics then slowly added the non-canonical books called the Apocrypha. It was only in the 1400ds that the catholic church officially declared these extra non-canonical books inspired, And they did this in reaction to the protestant churches removing the Apocrypha books from the Bible.

It looks like a first post from an athiest. Hope you had a good sleep.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

12. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Reasonably humanitarian, not too much ass kicking.

Timothy's letter has to go, though.

13. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

Biblical revelation is unrevealing.

Biblical prophecy is either vague, wrong, coincidence, a matter of ordinary prediction, or it can be more-simply explained as written after the fact. Humankind’s holy books are what one would expect if they were but products of human culture.

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If you read any of the religious books from any religious ideology you'll find the same nonsense as well.

15. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I have to agree with this , People don't put enough value on children Fairy tales
    We are Missing the boat . There is a reason for the dream state . Free thought . Why do you think you dream crazy things ?

16. Spiderhollis Registered Member

I am looking for refinement to my thoughts in this manor. It is by no means a completed thought. I will be refining and thinking more about it in the futur.

17. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

the bible was written by many authors,(each one has their own flavor)
    many religious scripts exist,
    the bible was canonized (men decided what scripts to include)
    many stories were written to teach ppl certain concepts that are thought to be beneficial to mankind.(the stories were a means to an end)
    these stories were written to the ppl of the times,(references can be misinterpreted)

in my opinion, god did not write the bible.
    god had shown some things to the authors and the authors did the best they could to communicate such to the generations.since man is the author of the bible certain negative human characteristics made it into the bible.

-----

and to me the issue of proof, ends up being a 'do as your told' vs 'think for yourself' fight,
    IMO the ppl seeking 'proof' of god, wants god to tell them what to do.
    this does not apply to those seeking understanding,as these are the types who like to make their own decisions.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I have no problem with the common sense life teaching and moral aspects of most of the Bible. I think a secular person could have written such things just as well, and they often do. If more people read them as they would read Aesop's Fables, we would be much better off as a society.

19. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

i think that is were the bible maintains its attraction..
    the same wisdom applies now as did then.
    and how many of the authors of the bible were considered secular? (proverbs?)

20. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

that depends on who you are. for instance, god told me that i was the chosen lady in 2 john. read this...

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2 John 1&version=NIV

the only thing vague about it is that i don't have a crystal ball. but god wasn't being vague when i heard it. it was meaningful and extraordinary, and certainly no coincidence. i think i'm perfect for the job. though at first, the idea almost made my head explode. it was impactive.

21. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

It didn't say 'Lori' in there.

22. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

of course it didn't; don't be silly.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

So, are non-Christians forbidden from entering your house?