Assume a spherical cow

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by tashja, Feb 17, 2011.

1. tashja Registered Senior Member

I'm trying to formulate a crank theory of planetary evolution were the Sun and not a rotating molecular cloud is the originator of the planets in our solar system and other stars. It would go something like this: The Sun indeed formed from a cloud of hydrogen and stuff, but the planets came out of the Sun in rapid succession, fully formed (as to their spherical shape), and spinning. This reduced the angular momenta of the Sun by_____? and its mass and element content by_____? This unknown action caused the ejected spheres to assume an elliptical and repeating orbit, as well as their current orbital distance.

I will like for someone here to help me express the above paragraph no matter how nonsensical it might look in mathematical form. And maybe even fill in the gaps.

ps: The crank theory also assumes that moons were created by their parent planet in the same process they were. By been ejected from the rotating mass.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

One problem with this is that if there was somehow enough energy available to eject a planet like Jupiter from the Sun, then there's no reason why Jupiter would have settled into orbit around the Sun. It would have been completely ejected from the solar system.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. tashja Registered Senior Member

Good point.

But in this model, I'm invoking the power of Dark Matter to help me explain why the orbits of the planets didn't go to infinity, but gradually slowed down. I'm surrounding the Sun with a halo of DM that attaches to each planet as they get ejected from it, and endowing DM with a sort of asymptotic freedom that keeps the planets from escaping.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

As crank theories go, this is pretty cranky..Why would you want to theorise something like this?

8. tashja Registered Senior Member

'cause I like to read replies that I can mentally benefit from.

9. keith1 Guest

Evidence supports "Accretion" rather then "Excretion".

Molten objects ejected from the Sun would have time to cool into spherical objects, but this is not the case with Planets or any Planetoid objects. They are a hodge-podge of built-up smaller "rubble", collected over time (as seen in this gravity image of the Earth's interior--Courtesy: NASA/JPL):

...the expected outcome of forming from an accretion disk around a young proto-star.

Hot interiors are not a big difficulty--(the reason sawdust is no longer piled into large piles)-- Intense heat is generated under such conditions.

10. tashja Registered Senior Member

I contend that the evidence you provided is valid, but for a latter stage in the planets evolution. The original maelstrom that gave rise to the star, also caused it to 'excrete' these proto-planets which later evolved into what we see today. We would have to catch a proto-star in the process of shedding proto-planets, of course.

11. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

I've been saying for years that earth came from the sun, as did all the planets. As a matter of fact the entire solar system IS the sun. It is expanding and getting less dense over time, in accordance with the second law of thermodynamics, as would one expect. "Mass evolves to space," not the other way around.

BTW, when you look at a pic of a spiral galaxy, the mass all came from the core (black hole) and is traveling outwards. Not towards the core, but away from the core, like sparks from a sparkler.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  12. tashja Registered Senior Member

Really, MD?

I'd venture to say that even today, the Sun is probably in the process of birthing another planet, which could explain why all the weird activity. I bet you that before it goes nova, it will spit out another planet before giving up the ghost.

13. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

I hope so, that way I can say to everyone, I told you so!

14. keith1 Guest

Wishful thinking at best. The "original maelstrom that gave rise to the star", as it was stated, is the result of the debris field from the explosion of another star before it. A debris field made the subsequent star and as the star coalesced, large debris objects, too far from the gathering star to join it, began to gravitationally revolve around it, shepherding other debris matter into the planetoids growing girth.

Ejecta, owing to a possible planetary collision event, has been theorized to explain the lunar object called the moon.

The Shoemaker-Levy event, that of observed comet debris colliding with Jupiter, showed no such ejecta placed into Jovian orbit.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2011
  15. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

what weird activity? our sun wont go nova. it isn't big enough.

16. tashja Registered Senior Member

Not so. Not all hydrogen clouds in the universe are the result of exploding stars.

The Shoemaker-Levy event (or any other collision for that matter), have no bearing in this theory, since it is not 'collision-dependent.'

17. tashja Registered Senior Member

Solar flares and stuff.

Yes, it will.

18. keith1 Guest

You have given no evidence throughout this entire thread to validate your "wants".

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2011
  19. tashja Registered Senior Member

I don't have to. It's a 'crank' theory, remember?

20. keith1 Guest

I stand corrected

:facepalm:

21. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

the first answer is wishy washy and the second lack scientific evidence.

22. tashja Registered Senior Member

From the May 2011 issue of Discover, page 33:

''About half the stars in the universe are gravitationally bound to a companion star. Coexisting with the heat and gravity of two suns is difficult for planets-specially for the pair discovered last year orbiting the binary star system NN Serpentis, also called NN Ser (ab). Astronomers believe that the exoplanets, called NN Ser (ab) c and d, may have survived a cataclysmic event several millions years ago, when one of their host stars swelled to 200 times the diameter of the sun, temporarily enveloping the planets. Or perhaps the planets actually formed from material cast off during that expansion, a theory that would overturn our conventional understanding that planets and stars form together at the same time.'' Andrew Grant

I'm beside myself with joy. I hope Motor Daddy is, too.

23. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

I've been beside myself with joy since I first came to understand that the earth (and the other planets) came from the sun, and more importantly that, mass evolves to space.