Whats the difference between Earth Science and Geology?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Nesstor, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Nesstor Registered Member

I'm looking at majors for college. What is the difference between earth science, geology and geosciences majors?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. 1I'd Oyler Registered Member

If you're looking at majors for college, why don't you look at the suggested course paths to get a better idea of what each entails.
    Or use google.
    Or wiki.
    Since, from what I've seen, geoscience is synonymous with earth science, if you are seeing a division, I'm guessing that geology ∈ geoscience ∈ earth science with each step up getting broader.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

you could just ask a guidance consular or whatever job it is that you want to eventually end up doing you could go to someone in that field and ask them as well.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

There are always exceptions in the way new terminology is used, but "geoscience" is just an alternative, more academic-sounding synonym for "earth science."

Earth science is more than geology. It also includes the study of the atmosphere, the oceans and the entire biosphere/ecosystem. In addition, it has a strong historical component: the study of the origin of the planet out of the nebula of dust and gas left over from the formation of the sun, and its evolution into its current state. Even the planet's future is not out of the scope of this discipline: when the sun becomes a red giant, depending on the exact diameter to which it expands, the earth will at least become far too hot to support liquid water (and therefore life), and at worst may be swept up into the sun and vaporized.

8. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

I always thought Geology was the study of the actual earth. (As in the rocks and base level of the earth) Where as Earth Science is the study of the entire earth including waters, air and everything all the way up to and including the Ozone Layer,

If im not mistaken Geology covers the 3 primary layers of the earth (crust, mantle, core)and Earth science would study all 7 of earths "layers"

peace.