Middle Aged Mentality

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Mickmeister, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

Why is it that middle aged people become so boring? I am 38, and a great number of my peers and friends are just down right boring. I still ride sport bikes, sky dive, weld, camp, canoe, boat, hunt, and such. I often get comments from them that I need to grow up and I am not young anymore. I don't see why just because you are middle aged that you need to stop doing all of the fun things in life.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Maybe you just hang around with boring people?:shrug:

I'm 46, and still do most of those things, as well as some other things that people may think I'm too old to do..

After all, age is just a number..

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Fuck them, get your rocks off any damn way you want to, they can't keep a good man down just because they have become brain dead!:itold:

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

Do it till it breaks..

we learn that it costs to do stuff fun..

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Depends what you call "funstuff" actually is. I enjoy walks on the beach, sleeping in a hammock, fishing, skin diving, music and a host of other things that are for the most part all free or cost very little to do.

9. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

i enjoy that stuff also..but it also qualifies for what some would call boring..

10. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I am 40 but I am really a lot older- older than Fraggle in some ways.

As you get older, you experience many of the same things over and over, to the same logical end. As such, when you see it again, you sigh expecting the same predictable outcome.

I am old enough to have seen lives come and go. Some leave an impression, most don't. And it's all the same.

The older you get, the more you get used to the human aspect of humanity and reality and see nothing magical happens, life simply goes on.

There's a reason we live finite lifetimes... there's a reason we have new offspring with new ideals.

11. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

I can't agree with that. When life gets stagnant, that is when you change things up. For instance, I am getting ready to learn kayaking next year. I have never done it, but am destined to do it. There are many, many more things, such as hang gliding, I want to do before I die.

Please explain what you mean by this?

12. jmpet Valued Senior Member

When you're done kayaking and mountain climbing and deep sea diving, you eventually settle down and let life go by you. Don't worry- it'll happen to you sooner or later. Then you'll understand. Once again I am a old soul.

13. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

I see what you are saying. The way I look at it is, I am older now, so I can take on more risks because there is less to lose now than lets say when I was 20.

14. Cifo Day destroys the night, Registered Senior Member

Middle age contains many responsibilities that distracts people away from their sense of "self" -- for example, raising children and caring for aging parents and other relatives, as well as owning a home, and saving for college funds and for retirement. So, where younger people do fun stuff on weekends (concerts, outdoorsy activities, partying, etc), a middle-aged person's "fun stuff" on the weekend might involve raking leaves, painting the house, helping the kids with school projects, or moving mom into a nursing home.

It is also the age involved with the onset of various diseases and age-related impairments not commonly seen in younger people (some of which I would attribute to decades of working modern sedentary jobs), and the overall start of "feeling one's age". In part, the hard-on-the-body activities from their youthful years start catching up with people around middle age -- for example, the sports injury that has "gotten worse over the years", perhaps requiring surgery or joint replacement.

15. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

I still do pretty much the same boring things now that I did 20 years ago, so I don't think it has to do with the age, but the personality, but perhaps more timeconsuming responsibilities has replaced carefree spontaneity. The fun stuff demands more planning.

16. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

40 is young, not middle aged. 38 is even younger than that. Since I don't believe in "souls", I have to go with physiologic chronology here.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I have a walking buddy who is now 94 years old. I am 60, he calls me a "baby". To him, I am young.

I backpack into the deep bush for weeks on end, climb mountains, hold advanced rank in Taekwon Do, run 10 miles a day and a bunch of other stuff that I consider to be "fun". I am not too heavy on the adrenaline though, as that is a stress hormone and I don't need that. I don't spend a lot of money doing things either, as I haven't saved up much to 'retire'. I do not plan on retiring unless something bad happens to me.

Many folks consider me outrageous, some think I am crazy, but I am certainly not "boring".

17. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

the older you get, the harder it is to get off the floor..

18. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

They do things like purchase houses and raise children, which consume all of their time, energy and attention. A friend of mine recently had a baby, and it's absolutely amazing how quickly she went from being really interesting and engaging on a variety of topics, to being totally consumed with her baby and never talking about anything else. Even on the rare occasions when she leaves the baby at home for a night out with just friends, she spends the entire time talking about the baby. It is super fucking boring.

19. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

Exactly. That is one of the main reasons why I decided 8 years ago that I definitely didn't want kids. I could not stand to be tied down like that. I would be so unhappy if I was.

As far as houses go, you are also right. I used to have a house 50% bigger than what we do now. We downsized just so that we would not have to put up with the upkeep of something that would not be worth our time. My brother-in-law has a house three times the size and he always complains that they never have time to do anything because of the upkeep of the house.

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

At 67 I finally found the rock and roll band I've spent my whole life looking for. They say I play the bass lines to their songs the way they've been hearing them in their heads for 30 years but nobody else ever got it right.

No, I don't compete in dirt bike enduros any more, and I can't even ski energetically enough to bother doing it. And my wife and I somehow managed to never make that trip to Machu Picchu. But music has always been more important to me than physical activity.

I'm just not a caveman so I don't miss the mastodon hunt.

21. keith1 Guest

So-called "friends" can trick the "real boring one" into going away by themselves, to ride bikes and skydive.
    It can be that the camp is exciting, and not the camper. One can deceive oneself.

22. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

How common is skydiving really?

I think there's something really wrong with people who engage themselves in excessive outdoors activities like that. Sounds like a compulsory behaviour.

23. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

It's common to me...And most of my friends..

I can't provide any worldwide stats though.

Guess we're compulsive...Actually, I know I am.