Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fish oil vs. Krill oil

As a mother, I am telling you Syzygys's Avatar
    Then start worrying when the human consumption increases. Until that, good old fish eat krill.

Valued Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraggle Rocker View Post
    I wasn't thinking clearly when I wrote my first post on this thread back in 2010. The real problem with krill oil is:
    Every baleen whale on this planet subsists entirely by eating krill.
    They graze through the oceans, sucking in sea water and then expelling it through their baleen plates, which filter it. Then they swallow the tiny krill that they catch that way. This is all they eat, and it's all they can eat because of the unique evolution of their ancestors' teeth into baleen plates. So if we start harvesting krill, we're taking away their food. They'll start starving. We won't be any better than the Japanese, Icelanders and Norwegians, who kill them for their meat. Yeah I know those are big oceans. But we used to say the same thing about the Great Lakes. Have you taken a swim in Lake Michigan lately? Krill oil today, krill burgers tomorrow, then krill-based livestock feed on Thursday. And we'll start wondering where the whales went.
    DON'T DO IT!

I hope they heed your warning

Well, I have ran out of the fish oil supply, and considering what to get next. Here is an interesting study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18460481

Volunteers took fish, hemp and flaxseed oil and placebo for 3 months, and "The lipid parameters (TC, HDL-C, LDL-C and TG) did not show any significant differences among the four groups."

So I guess it doesn't matter....

Quote Originally Posted by Syzygys View Post
    Well, I have ran out of the fish oil supply, and considering what to get next. Here is an interesting study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18460481

Volunteers took fish, hemp and flaxseed oil and placebo for 3 months, and "The lipid parameters (TC, HDL-C, LDL-C and TG) did not show any significant differences among the four groups."

So I guess it doesn't matter....
    Does that mean your looking for a quick solution, to a problem that may take years to develop? Also, you might want to review more information before deciding not to take any supplements at all. I do know that flaxseed oil goes rancid fairly quick (a month or two). It's better to get plain flaxseed and add it to a drink of some kind than the oil which is almost always rancid when you buy it.

I believe a persons health depends more on what he or she does daily, such as taking proper nutrition and getting enough exercise. Yes proper nutrition is still a work in progress, but for the most part you will be doing something positive for yourself by following the current expert advice.

Quick solution would be a week. After 3 months you bet there should be signs of effectiveness, or there is no point in taking them....

Quote Originally Posted by ameliewakelin View Post
    Exactly
    Maybe they should try and concentrate fish oil into smaller pill form. From my point of view I don't really care where I get my daily dose of Omega3. But I very much like the smaller pill the krill oil comes in.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123