Only Cranks and Wierdo's See UFO's

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Green Destiny, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Green Destiny Banned Banned

Not my words, but the words of the famous Stephen Hawking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjBIsp8mS-c&feature=channel

Something tells me he has not done an extensive research on the subject, for it would be clear in some accounts, it does not necesserily involve cranks, or wierdo's. What about the Military who have seen UFO's on radar... do they come under this catagory?

What about people who are literally 'pillers of the community?'

Stephen... what are you talking about? The UFO phenomenon is quite real, and I don't believe it should be so narrowly catagorized.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Don't trust the pillers.
    Especially if they pop those funky red pills.

But seriously, in context now:
    On the other hand, we don't appear to have been visited by aliens. I am discounting reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?
    So, Dr Hawking is specifically talking about extraterrestial vehicles, not simply unidentified flying objects.

Yes, everyone agrees that odd things have been seen in the sky.
    No, this doesn't mean that the best explanation is that we're visited by aliens.

I think that "Cranks and weirdos" wasn't the best choice of words. But then, Hawking naturally values brevity more than others.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Green Destiny Banned Banned

In all fairness, that's a popular dogma. In truth, we should not treat the UFO accounts as alien visitors, afterall, by definition, ''UFO'' simply means unidentified flying object.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Sure. But you do see that Hawking was specifically talking about alien visitors, right?
    You did watch your own link?

8. Green Destiny Banned Banned

Of course Pete, but his language is most strange, I don't see how:

''On the other hand, we don't appear to have been visited by aliens''

and

''I am discounting reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?''

In the same sentence can give a wrong impression - he says UFO reports, period. He does not mention ''most UFO reports''.

9. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Your post seems to contradict your earlier postings - I agree that Hawkings sentence should not give the wrong impression, but I thought that you had the opposite opinion.

I don't see that his language is "most strange". Why is it strange to refer to "alien visitors" as "UFOs"? You said before that it's a popular dogma.

Bottom line:
    Hawking attributed reports of alien visitors to come from only cranks and weirdos.
    Do you agree that this was Hawking's intended meaning?
    Do you assert that reports of alien visitors have come from reliable sources?

10. Green Destiny Banned Banned

I'm not one who likes contradictions, so i'll be clearer.

I find it believable that the term UFO be freely used by people to represent aliens, and this is due to niavety on the subject, and niavety that all UFO's are related to aliens.

I find it strange that the term be freely used to support this, from a man who is otherwise, considered by most, the smartest man in the world. When he talks, people listen.

You would imagine someone with such calibre would be a bit more choicest in the way he explains things.

11. keith1 Guest

The Earth may be just one of many nests. Perhaps the whole universe is a brood area.
    Another 100 years of research may reveal an alternate perspective and focus beyond a future of just exploring another nest field.
    Other interesting aspects may come to light, which will steer our course, and I leave this as another reason advanced races may be going elsewhere, and not bothering our (or any other) nesting area.

Fly away, little birdies.

Up is the new west.

12. Chipz Banned Banned

keith1, that took a lot of words to say nothing.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd think that some very smart people are "seeing" the UFO"s only to make themselves free publicity to keep the public aware of something that they can use to take advantage of others to sell them whatever books, movies and other stuff they can make up to increase profits .

14. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i'm good friends with an abductee. as far as i know, i'm the only one she's told and she's my age. this has been happening to her since she was a kid. she's certainly not after publicity, she doesn't even want to think about it herself. she's not a weirdo, and she's not a crank. she's a human being that's been traumatized, and nobody gives a flying fuck because it conflicts with their egos, beliefs, and selfish agendas. it makes me sick.

15. Green Destiny Banned Banned

You're definately not the only one who knows now

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. John99 Banned Banned

Why would aliens (who have the advanced civilization to EVEN get here) keep abducting the same people?

Why would aliens (who have the advanced civilization to EVEN get here) keep coming here for decades abducy (temporarily) some people and then leave?

WHY?

17. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

"the new west"? i'm sorry, but i have to laugh at this one. i mean, look what we did to the old west.

the only reason an advanced race would ever come here, if they were truly advanced, would be to destroy us. we are menaces. proof positive. if i lived on another planet, where things were peaceful, and people were loving (which would indicate that we were advanced), i would without a doubt, blow the human race right off the universal map. absolutely.

18. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

my personal opinion, which is based on many things including my friend's testimony, is that what we call aliens are really the nephilim. genetic, demonic concoctions. i think the abduction phenomenon is at least as much spiritual as it is physical if not more. i think that aliens will perpetuate the antichrist and false prophet, and the mark of the beast, which will be a genetic manipulation of some kind.

19. keith1 Guest

Its helpful she has a good friend to care. There are many sites for such:

search: alien abduction help

20. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

No, it's due to popular usage, not naivete.
    In popular usage, the term "UFO" means "Alien spacecraft. It's original "unidentified flying object" is essentially obsolete.

But anyway... does your original objection (in the opening post) still stand?
    Do you agree that Hawking's intended meaning was that reports of alien visitors come from only cranks and weirdos?
    Do you assert that reports of alien visitors have come from reliable sources?

21. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i would never tell anyone who she is.

i know what it's like to go through something that is isolating and traumatic, and a little scary (not as scary as what she's been through). i know what it's like to try to share what you've been through and have absolutely no one understand it, and the majority of people think you're out of your mind.

it's not fun.

isolation isn't used as a punishment for no reason. it really hurts.

22. Green Destiny Banned Banned

Pete, you're confusing me now. My statement in the OP should be clear - from listening to Hawking, he sounded as though he is attributing UFO cases to crankery and weirdos.

If this is not the case, then hawking should be clearer.

When did I loose you?

23. Green Destiny Banned Banned

And yes, I do believe there is an element of niavety in there. A niave understanding of science, and the UFO phenomenon.