How does a full moon visible during the day?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Mind Over Matter, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Mind Over Matter Registered Senior Member

In order for the full moon to be visible, it must be on the other side of the earth from the sun. So the best time to view the moon is at night time. However, I noticed that there are times the moon is visible during the day, specifically when the moon is new. I’ve learned that a new moon is near the sun, and therefore visible during the day. And a full moon is far from the sun, and therefore visible during night time.

But I don’t understand why the link below shows that full moon is visible during noon time.

http://www.lunarrepublic.com/info/phases.shtml

What's the scientific explanation?

I would appreciate if anyone could enlighten me.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's simply in a position to reflect the sun's light.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

The times listed are UT(universal time), which is the modern equivalent of Greenwich Mean Time. Universal time is the same worldwide, If it is 1200 UT in England, it is 1200 UT in Japan. Depending on where you are in the world, the difference between UT and local clocks will differ. In one part of the world, at 1200 UT, it will be the middle of the night.

Thus the times listed are when a full Moon occurs by UT, not when it is visible by local time. The full Moon is never visible at noon local time, even though it is occurring at that moment. It would only be visible in those parts of the world where the Moon has risen.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. M00se1989 Banned Banned

so basically only some people are able to see the true full moon or the exact time it gets there. but the rest are close when it comes around to them.

8. Mind Over Matter Registered Senior Member

Yes. The moon travels across the sky just like the sun does. And just like the sun, when it's on the other side of the Earth, you can't see it. The closer it is to the sun, the more overlap there will be between visible sun time (daytime) and visible moon time, and therefore the less overlap between visible moon time and night time.