What's Up With North Norea?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by jmpet, Aug 30, 2010.

1. jmpet Valued Senior Member

They starve their people to the point of starvation all to support a military doctrine that gives them a hands off approach to the rest of the world. What good is having one or three tactical nukes when one million of your people are starving to death? Ever heard of "long pig"? That's what they call human flesh in North Korea and you can buy it at any marketplace in that nation.

Why do we spend millions per day in Afghanistan when we could be spending millions in North Korea- winning the hearts and minds on North Koreans?

Why are we so opposed to dictators when the world's largest dictator- North Korea- is killing off its own people just to get global attention?

Is there a no war solution to North Korea?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superstring01 Moderator

No.

~String

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I refuse to believe there is no no war solution to North Korea. I only see wave after wave of North Koreans fighting US commandos with pitchforks. There's gotta be a way to topple them without destroying them.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superstring01 Moderator

Hey. You're the one clamoring to do something. So, if there is a non-invasion/war method to do something, then fill us in!

Note: I'm actually okay with an invasion strategy. In the not to distant future, the freed people of North Korea will look back and wonder why the selfish world around them did nothing while millions upon millions of their people were systematically starved while the free world sat around twiddling its thumbs.

How comforting it must be to free people that we spouted pacifist and/or legalistic nonsense while people starved for nothing better than to stroke the ego of a madman.

Then again, I'm not sure what the strategy is and what would be the correct course of action. For starters, any effort against the North would surely have to have the five regional powers on board: South Korea, Japan, China, Russia and the USA. What are the odds of that happening?

~String

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The whole world watched as over 3 million Cambodians were exterminated by Pol Pot during his regimes control. Where was everyone when those people were being murdered? Now you complain about NK doing the same thing but again no one is doing much to stop it once more. :shrug:

9. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Depressing.

10. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

No.

Rife cannibalism; human meat on sale in any marketplace: That's an extraordinary claim.

Moderator Note: Please substantiate. It seems as if you are conveying disinformation that may be motivated by an intention to disparage/dehumanize North Koreans, and promote/encourage collective aggression.

9/11. The trauma of terrorism clouded our judgement in the USA, and as a result we have been behaving as world overlords, although we utterly lack the mandate and resources for such a role.

Because major US mobilizations have been irrrational and hubristic. While neoconservatives held sway in the Bush 43 Administration , and while the limitations of global US dominion were less obvious to many people, there was much agitation from the Executive Branch for war with NK.

To the surprise and dismay of those who have learned about war from Hollywood and military-industrial-corporate media, that is correct: The Cold War is over, there is no Santa Claus, and wars will not solve NK woes, nor US economic and cultural insecurities.

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

As someone who has read some good books on the topic ("Nothing to Envy", "Aquarium of Pyongyang", "Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader",
    "The Cleanest Race", all good books except for "Under the loving..." that one was very dry) I got the inclination that most North Koreans know what going on, that they live in a prison country, to slave for a few party cadre and an god-like dynasty, but they don't speak up because they and their family will be sent to the death camps if they do. Invasion and take over would be easy, having to rebuild a destitute land would be hard, also having to clean up the millions of dead South Koreans (as well as Japanese and Americans if they can reach) that the north will kill at the start of the invasion with artillery and missiles armed chemical, biological and nuclear weapons, will be very hard.

All we can do is hope the whole thing collapses after Kim Jung Ill dies.

12. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

13. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Frankly, it's up to the North Koreans.

14. Ja'far at-Tahir Grand Ayatollah of SciForums Registered Senior Member

It's ran by an elderly old woman who drinks cognac like a fish in a leftover Soviet sattelite state, what do you honestly expect?

15. Ja'far at-Tahir Grand Ayatollah of SciForums Registered Senior Member

It's not like the average working class North Korean could do anything, they are basically starving and they have no means, really, to resist hence why Kim Fab is still in power.

16. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I wonder if, in it's death spasms, NK will take out Seoul?

RE: 34% of SK see the USA as the main enemy. I wonder what is taught in the middle school text books? Koreans can be insular and I've seen one spit on a person they thought was Korean but discovered was Japanese (on their feet). That was pretty shocking.

It's a great example of how school education can have a long and lasting effect on people's perceptions. Which is why would should think long and hard about the kinds of society we want to build and make sure this is reflected in K-12.

17. desi Valued Senior Member

Yes, leave them alone. The last time the US fought in Korea they were vastly outnumbered because China provided North Korea with millions of soldiers. Invading North Korea would be stupid.

18. jmpet Valued Senior Member

After reading this thread over time, I have come to the conclusion that China is North Korea's way out of the Dark Ages- we clearly shouldn't be meddling with these affairs.

Listening to Lennon's "Give Peace A Chance" song asks the over-obvious statement: all we are saying is give peace a chance.

19. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Haven't we been doing that for oooh ~60 years now in this case?

20. Scrat335 Registered Member

Jmpet. Your start to this thread is way out there, long pig is sold in the markets there? The only place I've heard the term before, usually it's applied in a joking manner and as far as I know, originated amongst European sailors in the Caribbean. How do you know? Did you see it in the market? When did you go to NK? What is said in the media and by certain individuals about N Korea is IMO at best hysterical propaganda. I believe very little of what I hear.

I think there is a solution to the NK question, I think it is to first leave them to hell alone, stop treating them like outsiders and enemies. Second, get rid of the people in power who benefit from this situation, the ones on our side of the line. Why is it whenever a step towards peace is made it seems to be defeated? Third, give the people in NK a way out and a way to see us. Encourage people to leave by supporting them when they do. Do something to get our information to them, drop radios with long life batteries all over the country. Get the people of NK to rebel against their leaders.

These are just ideas tossed out, I don't have the solutions. I do know that the path we're on now is not working for anyone but the people who benefit from it most.