Do you trust Psychometric testing?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Mind Over Matter, Aug 29, 2010.

?

Are psychometric tests useful?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2010.
  1. Yes, psychometric testing are useful

100.0%
  2. No, they are useless.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Psychometric testing are useful, but have their problems.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. They are just the method we can do for now.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mind Over Matter Registered Senior Member

It is probably more important to know what you are good at than it is to know your IQ.

The earlier in life a person learns their strengths and weaknesses the happier they can be.

I think for those of us who want to understand a person's aptitude so we can play to that person's strengths the good ship "Psychometric testing" is still afloat.

What are your thoughts?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. M00se1989 Banned Banned

I want to take the test!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

the law of comparative judgement relates to my ideas.

"In somewhat more technical terms, the law of comparative judgment is a mathematical representation of a discriminal process, which is any process in which a comparison is made between pairs of a collection of entities with respect to magnitudes of an attribute, trait, attitude, and so on. The theoretical basis for the model is closely related to item response theory and the theory underlying the Rasch model, which are used in Psychology and Education to analyse data from questionnaires and tests."(wiki)

can a test of intelligence not be a usefull tool in determining a person's stregnths and weaknesses?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mind Over Matter Registered Senior Member

We have no problem identifying attributes (what you term strengths and weaknesses)

We have no problem identifying the relative strength or weakness of an attribute (Whose hair is more blond? Who is taller?) [Who scores higher on honesty?]

The problem always comes down to "Is this attribute a VALID indicator of success or failure on the job?"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Why is this in parapsyhology?

8. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Well this isn't what I thought it was.
    Psychometric testing. Never heard this term before now.