How does schizophrenia start?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Aria84, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Aria84 Registered Senior Member

How does schizophrenia start?What are it's early symptoms?When the hallucinations appear?Does it start with a nervous breakdown or not?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. AJRelic Malformed Registered Senior Member

I did some mild research into mental illnesses a while back. I don't know much but I'll try my best until someone more knowledgeable comes along.

It's believed there's a genetic disposition towards schizophrenia, some people are more susceptible of developing it then others. I want to say it's completely based on genetics but I'm not sure.

As it typical, different people display different symptoms. A quick google search will give you a list of most of the possible symptoms. In general, they become more confused about their reality (delusions). From what I understand, this is typically portrayed in the form of paranoia, that is, they may believe people are trying to harm them (not just physically), even if there's no evidence to suggest this.

Hallucinations do not always occur in schizophrenics. It's just one of those blaring red lights that isn't typical of other mental disorders. As well, it can be hallucinations of any of the senses, not just sight and sound. They can also feel, taste or smell things that aren't there.

It is generally accepted that some traumatic episode will "jumpstart" schizophrenia, but I don't think this is necessary. Schizophrenia is a degenerative disease, that can just get to much for the individual to handle without proper medication or therapy.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Second or third post, usually.

(Actually: trauma, normally. Though there are underlying predisposing genetic variants.)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd think society can induce it and make it worse as time goes by. TV, newspapers, movies and on and on all contribute to many psychological problems people have today.

8. Kernl Sandrs Registered Senior Member

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It tends to start in early adulthood. Symptoms may manifest in any number of ways, for instance- hallucinations, voices, paranoia, disinterest in life or work, inability to form lasting friendships or relationships...

10. Café Cappuccino Truth can only be half said Registered Senior Member

Prodromes (according to Dictionary.com):
    According to the ever-so-handy Wikipedia (article on Schizophrenia):

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I have noticed with my friend, that there are physical symptoms, a red puffy face.

12. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Really? As in right before an attack?

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yes, just before and during. I could just look at him and know if he was going to be coherent or not. It is strange, almost like an allergy attack or something.

Or it could just be the result of insomnia.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  14. Café Cappuccino Truth can only be half said Registered Senior Member

Acute insomnia is prodromic of schizophrenia.

15. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Schizophrenia is technically not one single condition, it's a montage of various ailments, so not all people that suffer the generalised Schizophrenia are exactly the same.

If one is dangerously paranoid it doesn't mean another person will be dangerous while being paranoid. This is one of the problems with classification because some people tend to react as if all schizophrenics are knife wielding psychopaths. This of course is pretty rude and doesn't help sufferers of the condition as it can make them more insuler and reclusive since they don't have to just content with their own problems but those that others choose to have about them.

Schizophrenic conditions build up over time, it can be down to various genetic traits, although what is more likely is that families that have schizophrenic suffers will likely be in close environment, perhaps having arguements constantly which in turn could generate various uncontrollable outbursts. They could be just vocalised torrids of abuse or on escalation perhaps the damaging of door or wall panels between siblings or parent-child arguments.

"Hallucinations" are not apparent with every person diagnosed with Schizophrenia, this is a stereotypical misconception.

As for "Nervous breakdowns", if somebody has one they will enter into a self-diagnostic frame of mind, constantly pondering about what could have been done to advert it, what triggered it and questioning if it will reoccur in the future. These questions generate a egocentric subconcious concern that will nag/niggle at them, this will then be greatly amplified if people around them treat them like the stereotypical "psychopath", when really they just need a bit of help getting to terms with what happened and how to deal with any potential future occurances.

If left to their own self-diagnostic frame of mind with no external support to aid them or just support them, then they will likely suffer alone and thats were such conditions can be suggested to manifest.

16. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

17. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Yes, we both agree. Don't we? Yes we do.

18. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

You're forgetting music! Music has to be a bigger contributor than newspapers, or TV.

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Just curious, why do you ask?

20. Acitnoids Registered Senior Member

It can began with the sensation of isolation. Keep in kind that a schizophrenic can feel isolated in a room full of people that love them. The early warning signs are social withdraw. Hallucinations and nervous breakdowns are not always relevent. Most of the time a schizophrenic will imagine that everyone else thinks less of them and they continually dwell on that idea.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

For the schizophrenic, they will see people withdraw from them. They often have no idea why. In the case of my friend, he remained very social, but his friends including me eventually saw that between him and his co-dependent mother, the side effects of the drugs (and paranoia about synthetic drugs in general), occasional police involvement and arrest, and lack of the will to hold a job, there wasn't much hope for him.

22. Aria84 Registered Senior Member

I have a friend who his doctor tells that he is schizophrenic,and he has had a nervous breakdown,I wanted to know what the relations between these,because I had read that nervous breakdown if it dosen't been treated can be trasform to psychose et shizophrenia but whether the in schizophrenia as an illness it exist or not,that was something that I wanted to know

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't think "nervous breakdown" is a real diagnosis, it's more of a cumulation of personal and psychological issues. I think it's unlikely that having a nervous breakdown would cause schizophrenia, probably the other way around.