Personal Opinions Invalidate Political News Items?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Giambattista, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

So threads are automatically obliterated without warning because someone expresses a politically incorrect opinion, I guess?

You start a thread about something that was all over the news that morning, thinking it was interesting. Then, you express your opinion about the news item, or the central subject of that news item. Not too long after, the entire thread is cesspooled and locked because that one opinion is apparently unacceptable.
    No warning is given. No calls for clarification. No attempt to reason. No requests to tone down any apparent bias. No questions asked about possible motives. No time allotted for any answers. No reconciliation sought.

Because of a personal opinion, entire subject is deemed a useless trifle of no import. No questions asked.

So this is the standard operating procedure?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

Yep. (some) Mods apperently take their personal feelings to be more important than the thread rules, and as soon as there offended they will close the thread out of spite. Its ridicuals, and they know theres nothing we can do.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Well, I'd like to think there isn't bias in such situations, but it really must be ruled out.

Again, it seems no warning or request or justification is asked for or given.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I agree with Giambattista.

8. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

A sign of the Apocalypse!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It is a completely arbitrary, unmethodical manner in which censorship is applied to political issues at Sciforums.

To reiterate, a better course of action instead of immediate locking and cesspooling something deemed offensive would be to at least give a warning, or request one to clarify whether a news item has been posted with the sole intent of being inflammatory.

That would be impossible to prove and a rather ridiculous charge when the story in question involves an internationally known figure and is in the news, and front center on a major tabloid, for what it's worth. Or do all tabloids only carry nonsense fiction? Nay, they are capable of running valid headlines, and occasionally can be credited with being the first to scoop up a lead.

Seems to me that plenty of personal opinions are continually left standing for personal reasons, regardless of political bias or offensiveness. Oh, and topics far more pointless are allowed to continue indefinitely.

9. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Come to think of it, doesn't the title of this thread in itself require no explanation. Like, duh! Politics? Opinions? The two are inseparable.

10. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=102513

Okay, thank you to whoever it was who pointed out we are talking about a "wringer", not ringer.

That was the 5th post that I said that. There were no "petty" remarks about Mr. Gore's validity as person until that point. Certainly I think any case for saying that the thread's sole purpose was a baseless attack against Al Gore has very little merit.

But what would anyone expect about a prominent, controversial politician who has just gotten a divorce (or initiated one) and now has a weird sex scandal come out? Does anyone think it is off limits or absurd for someone to say "See, I knew this guy was no good." ??? MedicineWoman seemed to be of that opinion.

And another "petty" political jab from a non-Battista:

And then someone got offended and stepped in and well... when you're talking about a personal sex scandal of a celebrity, it is inevitable that personal opinions of the person are going to come into the discussion. That fact doesn't invalidate it as a newsworthy item.
    Personal flaws do matter in politics, believe it or not

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. If someone misbehaves in one way (especially this way, if true) what does that say about them, if you put other bits of the character into the picture?

Someone going to tell me that a character assessment of this kind is fundamentally wrong? Can someone even prove that this thread was all about Giambattista's obsession with proving al gore a fraud and pervert?

Ethics and Morality was as good a place as any to host that thread.

11. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Hell, it would have been just fine in Human Science for all I care.

The reason for closing it was bogus.

If someone wanted a clearer direction for that thread, a simple suggestion was all that was really needed. But no! Cut off its head without trial.