Human Rights and Justice in Islam

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by alex sam, Jun 19, 2010.

1. alex sam Registered Member

Islam provides many human rights for the individual. The following are some of these human rights that Islam protects.

The life and property of all citizens in an Islamic state are considered sacred, whether a person is Muslim or not. Islam also protects honor. So, in Islam, insulting others or making fun of them is not allowed. The Prophet Muhammad said: {Truly your blood, your property, and your honor are inviolable.}1

Racism is not allowed in Islam, for the Quran speaks of human equality in the following terms:
    (O mankind, We have created you from a male and a female and have made you into nations and tribes for you to know one another. Truly, the noblest of you with God is the most pious.2 Truly, God is All-Knowing, All-Aware.) (Quran, 49:13)

Islam rejects certain individuals or nations being favored because of their wealth, power, or race. God created human beings as equals who are to be distinguished from each other only on the basis of their faith and piety. The Prophet Muhammad said: {O people! Your God is one and your forefather (Adam) is one. An Arab is not better than a non-Arab and a non-Arab is not better than an Arab, and a red (i.e. white tinged with red) person is not better than a black person and a black person is not better than a red person,3 except in piety.}4

One of the major problems facing mankind today is racism. The developed world can send a man to the moon but cannot stop man from hating and fighting his fellow man. Ever since the days of the Prophet Muhammad
    Islam has provided a vivid example of how racism can be ended. The annual pilgrimage (Hajj) to Makkah shows the real Islamic brotherhood of all races and nations, when about two million Muslims from all over the world come to Makkah to perform the pilgrimage.

Islam is a religion of justice. God has said:
    Truly God commands you to give back trusts to those to whom they are due, and when you judge between people, to judge with justice.... (Quran, 4:58)
    And He has said:
    ...(And act justly. Truly, God loves those who are just). (Quran, 49:9)
    We should even be just with those who we hate, as God has said:
    ...(And let not the hatred of others make you avoid justice. Be just: that is nearer to piety.)... (Quran, 5:8)
    The Prophet Muhammad said: {People, beware of injustice,5 for injustice shall be darkness on the Day of Judgment.}6
    And those who have not gotten their rights (i.e. what they have a just claim to) in this life will receive them on the Day of Judgment, as the Prophet said: {On the Day of Judgment, rights will be given to those to whom they are due (and wrongs will be redressed)...}7

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

So, when you write this garbage, do you actually proof read it for contradictions, logical fallacies, etc. ?

I didn't think so.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Like communism, it sounds good in theory, but the practical implementation of these ideals leaves much to be desired.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Well, that's not really the practice at all. It's also contradicted by Sura 2, Sura 5, Sura 9 and many of the hadiths and their interpretations. It can mean that, subject to the will of the ruling religious body or seat, but doesn't seem to in the present day or in the past.

Well, it doesn't actually say that. It just says "to know one another". You could imply, I suppose.

And why exactly is this in "Earth Science", anyway? I recommend Cesspool.

I suppooose, but that's still for Muslims only. And it doesn't really prevent racism among them; you can still hate people on the Haij and the lot.

Look, we all have our religious preferences - I'm a Roman Catholic myself - but I don't see the point of making idle proclamations on the Earth Science subforum.

8. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

***Moderator Note***

My initial instinct was to lock and cesspool this thread, however I've decided that instead I will move it to the religion forum.

9. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Alex,

Welcome to Sciforums.

I'd like to note that you're own thread (and opinion) suggests people are equal except in piety and you seem to except that this is OK.
    This is the thing. Buddhism already stated that people are equal. Christianity already stated humans were equal. People lived just fine in polytheistic societies thinking people should be regarded by merit - take the Mongolians as an example.'

I agree with you that racism is a problem. However, Islamic nations are no less racist than the next. This suggests that YOUR interpretation of Islam is a little different then most Muslim's interpretation. I personally think that the whole idea of "race" is wrong. I'm atheist. I've didn't need to read the Qur'an to come to this conclusion - it's simply common sense if you have an open mind. This is the thing about Islam, and why many Muslim's don't also arrive at such a conclusion - it's all about believing what you are told to believe. People are so worried in Islam that some dare not take a chance on believing something that may go against Allah and jeopardize their chances of going to Heaven.

I'll give you an example:
    I'm atheist, however, I grant you that you may be right. There my be an Allah. Mohammad may have been his Prophet. The Qur'an may be true.

Now, how about you Alex? Is it possible I may be right? That there may not be an Allah? That Mohammad either didn't exist, or if he did, was not a Prophet. That the Qur'an is not true?

I'll await your answer.

While we wait you should check out this other thread: Ahmadi community is officially detested

Hundreds of Ahmadi have been murdered recently in Pakistan by Muslims for the crime of NOT being pious - this bigotry of being racist-like against non-piousness is enshrined in law in many Islamic countries and is a major flaw within Qur'anic Theology. The Qur'an teaches bigotry AGAINST other humans and this is just as evil as racism because it's exactly the same (only instead of skin color it's personal belief).

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  10. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

Michael you still going on about possibilities? It is also possible that whatever we deem possible is actually not possible because its possible that the criteria used to determine possibilities is possibly incorrect and thus so is the possibility derived from that possibly incorrect criteria and understanding of this possible world (its possible that this world doesn't exist and is only possible due to a virtual reality possibly)...

Spidergoat- which system doesn't have 'things left to be desired'- ? Democracy?

GeoffP- do you like making general comments? Sura x x x x - that is really specific..

Peace be unto you

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Wonderful, so you admit Islam is no more perfect than secular ideas?

12. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Ahem.

Do you like making circular, ambiguous comments?

Most of Sura 9. Striking off heads, threefold choice, etc.

13. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

It's not a question even of admission - it isn't any better, and in many ways is dreadfully worse.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Democracy can at least be updated via the constitution to adapt to new situations.

15. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Well, there's a way to interpret Islamic law that could be humanitarian vis-a-vis the "other".

That no Islamic legal system presently in existence does this, however, testifies to the fallibility of such a system.

16. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

of course.

For example. I may deem it's possible there is a God or a Goddess. It's certainly is possible that actually this is not possible as it violated the laws of physics.

What's funny is you find it's easy to agree with the statement that it's possible there IS a God. But have such a monumental time passing a Godly sized emotional turd through your intellectual digestive system when contemplating that yes it more than possible there IS NOT a God. As a matter of fact, as there is no, and has never been any, good evidence of Gods, they probably do not exist.:shrug:

17. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

of course.

For example. I may deem it's possible there is a God or a Goddess. It's certainly is possible that actually this is not possible as it violated the laws of physics.

What's funny is you find it's easy to agree with the statement that it's possible there IS a God. But have such a monumental time passing a Godly sized emotional turd through your intellectual digestive system when contemplating that yes it more than possible there IS NOT a God. As a matter of fact, as there is no, and has never been any, good evidence of Gods, they probably do not exist.:shrug:

18. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

Of course- a system run by imperfect beings, for imperfect beings is going to be imperfect due to its implementation.

Islamic judicial system is not perfect because imperfect people interpret it and implement it.

Peace be unto you

19. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

Giving the chapters instead of pointing out specifically the verse is quite general. Especially in the case of the Quran because the Quran is not a story like is the Bible. Each chapter contains many different things at the same time.

Michael knows what I'm talking about.

General rules verses exceptions, that doesn't mean its not a rule. Military actions are great example of exceptions in all societies, even in the US.

Peace be unto you

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  20. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

So can Islamic law. Islamic law is not set in stone, although there are mullahs who do think that.

'ijma- consensus can change Islamic law, depending on which school of thought you accept.

There is no such thing as 'Islamic Law'- there is only an idea of an Islamic Law. And that 'idea' develops with people.

I find it amusing when people say 'Islamic law says xxxxx", because it just shows they don't know shit, this includes most Muslims.

Peace be unto you

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You can't update the Quran.

22. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

Most of Islamic Law is not based on the Quran.

Secondly there is no reason to update the Quran to 'change rules', because its a matter of interpretation. Do you take the Islamic Laws in vacuum or do you take them with its history and reasons. If the latter, then the laws change depending on how the society develops.

As an example...The punishment of cutting off the hands for theft was nullified by the 2nd Caliph Omar (Umar)... this punishment is mentioned in the Quran... How could he do it? Because (I believe) he understood the message in terms of the reasons for punishment instead of taking the words in vacuum. If it was considered totally 'anti-Islamic' by going against the Quran (presumably), he surely wouldn't have remained the Caliph at the time. By the way the punishment was nullified during a famine- which has direct relationship with the 'need for theft'.

Peace be unto you

23. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

The first half of Sura 9 is more than ample demonstration.

No idea what you're trying to say here.