The Christian Fascists Are Growing Stronger

Discussion in 'Politics' started by common_sense_seeker, Jun 12, 2010.

1. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

The Christian Fascists Are Growing Stronger

Any truth to this outrageous claim do you think?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Oh you bet there is! I've been screaming about this ever since the Religious Redneck Retard Revival began, in the late 1970s.

We had a great intellectual revolution going. Most young people understood the basics of science and had a balanced sense of what was going on in the world. Then as the Baby Boomers started having children of their own they were overcome with guilt about the "sins" of their youth--they always thought they were unique and that no one else ever in history had had the experiences they had: sex, drugs, etc.

Rather than simply trying to be better people, they took this to an extreme just as they had taken everything else to an extreme (rock and roll, motorcycles, yoga...) and joined the little storefront Protestant Fundamentalist churches in the Redneck and Latino neighborhoods.

A girl I knew in computer operations asked me to sponsor her transfer into the programming staff. She seemed bright enough and had a community college diploma, so I figured I could afford to take the chance on her learning how to write COBOL. A few months later she joined one of those retard churches. One day I walked past her cubicle and saw she had a memory dump on her desk that hadn't been opened. She had her elbows on it with her head resting in her hands and her eyes closed, so I asked her what she was doing. She said her preacher told her that if debugging code was too hard, she should just sit there and pray, and an angel would come down and show her where the bug was.

The next week she came skipping into my office to share the wonderful thing she had learned in Sunday's sermon: that a few thousand years ago, lions and tigers were peaceful and did not eat meat. They just ate leaves and flowers. I dryly remarked that they must have looked much different then. For an animal that large to get adequate nutrition from a herbivorous diet, it would need about a quarter-mile of intestine filled with symbiotic bacterial culture. She just blanked out and had no idea what I was nattering about.

The Religious Redneck Retards have already erected a Creation "Science" Museum in Kentucky, which, if New York is America's dining room, Washington is its parlor and Los Angeles is its den, then Kentucky is its outhouse. Something like half the population has doubts about evolution.

It's amusing that the RRRs are on the anti-immigrant bandwagon. Immigrants, and ethnic communities in general, have a much larger percentage of faithful Christians than the rest of us! It was the Latino and Afro-American precincts in California that carried the vote against gay marriage.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

Lets not attempt to mask bias. Fraggle served a large bowl of bias and then he puts some whip cream on top and thinks it is ok.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Of course we're biased against fundamentalist religion here. This is a place of science and fundamentalist religion is antiscience. It's one of the greatest evils.

8. John99 Banned Banned

Someone believing or thinking
    is not always a fundamentalist. surely you are more aware than this.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

The fact that Obama was elected shows their power is highly variable and hopefully dying down from the peak of there Bush Jr. years.

10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Fundie is the only source of that one I know of.
    Not really.

They weren't a majority when W was elected - about a third of the electorate then, about a third now. That's enough to control elections, if you can tap it. And their influence on school boards, that kind of stuff, is no less now than ever.

11. jahina Child of the Universe Registered Senior Member

I wonder if these people were refering to the ancient marsupial equivalents of which there were lion-like, dog-like, bear-like creatures around that quite possibly could have been herbivores?

12. Emil Valued Senior Member

Totalitarianism is a problem for democracy.
    Democracy has no weapons against totalitarianism.
    I hope that we are wise enough,not return a fascist or communist government,or even religious.

13. iceaura Valued Senior Member

1) No, they aren't. They don't know anything about such creatures, and their fundie creationist beliefs require that lions and tigers much as we know them now were the ones eating the leaves and flowers before the Fall.

2) Any marsupial versions of lions and tigers - such as the Tasmanian one so recently mourned - would be as unlikely herbivores as the placental predators. Few of the design issues have much to do with reproductive strategy - even egg layers, like crocs or the old dinos, have the recognizable features (teeth, etc) of carnivores.

14. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

Fascinating..

15. John99 Banned Banned

Could have been some evolution.

16. Alien Cockroach Banned Banned

Not really. Partly, it was the fulfillment of Churchill's old dream that regular people would get to see the grim reality of war as it was happening. Although the old jerk got a sick thrill out of it because he was a psychotic and dangerous pervert (and knew it), he was also part of a widespread movement to raise people's awareness of what actually goes on during a war, and he frequently put himself very much in harm's way in this pursuit. In spite of this man's flaws, he had a deep faith in the idea of putting people in touch with what was going on in the world around them. His obsession with things that were "real" and "substantial" drove him to bully his country into experimenting with gold-backed currency, but he apologized for that particular fiasco. I forgive him.

Excuse me, but playing "warts and all" with Winny-boy is one of my favorite hobbies. It's all in good fun.

In any case, have you considered the possibility that you have misinterpreted the other historical contexts of the time period? The generation that ordered troops to be sent to Vietnam were acting under outdated assumptions about how the public would react to such a maneuver. They were pursuing their goals based on the assumption that they would be able to give people a sanitized, embellished account of their activities, yet images of blood and gore were being shown all over the television screens while it was going on. This spawned a youth reaction to being sent off to die in a conflict, fighting for a cause that they didn't really believe in, at least not strongly enough to be turned into a bloody pulp over it.

My argument here is that the youth and intellectuals of the time period had much greater motivation to speak out, and the only reason that they seem to have characterized the time period was the fact that they were shouting loudly enough to be heard over the hordes of unthinking, uncaring drones out there, whom I should remind you they were talking about at considerable length. There was more to speak out over during the time period, so I wouldn't assume that things have gotten worse just because less speaking out is being heard.

However, the war and the other travesties of the time period slowly became a memory. With that pressure no longer there, the public consciousness fell back to its ground state. Real change takes time and patience. Anyone can be an activist when their lives are depending on it, you know.

I would have played along with it for a while just to string her out, and then I would have shoved her own stupidity square down her throat. "Look! The angel has landed on the bug! It's right there! Go and follow the ANGEL, dearest!" Then again, I tend to be very cruel when I am dealing with someone who is truly determined to be asinine.

More, actually, assuming you count the different levels of "theistic evolution." However, the statistic was a lot worse in years past. Although support for the theory of naturalistic evolution has only grown with a ticking slowness, it is nevertheless gaining ground.

Take heart. Your labors have been worthwhile, and we grow stronger.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010