What makes a Man?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by GeoffP, May 19, 2010.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I just saw this on the net: ten women were asked "What is a Man?" This was the funniest entry.

A real man is a woman's best friend. He will never stand her up and never let her down. He will reassure her when she feels insecure and comfort her after a bad day. He will inspire her to do things she never thought she could do; to live without fear and forget regret. He will enable her to express her deepest emotions and give in to her most intimate desires. He will make sure she always feels as though she's the most beautiful woman in the room and will enable her to be the most confident, sexy, seductive, invincible.... No wait... I'm thinking of alcohol.

http://lifestyle.ca.msn.com/real-life/inner-you/hearst-gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=24117308&page=1

Anyone else like to chime in? I'm curious as to what makes a man, in the eyes of the various beholders. What is a man? Aside from the name "Geoff". That will signal manhood for a hundred millenia.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I don't think there is any single definition of "what is a man". It depends on what the woman needs and more, it depends on what a man is unwilling to compromise about himself. Most women would settle for a man who understands and complements her needs.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I gotta do all that stuff just to be a man? Guess I am no man.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Well, can you provide alcohol?

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Okay, I had a second thought so I am going to reconsider my response just a little bit in the context of a couple. What makes a man? A woman. In a relationship, its the woman who chooses, and if she wants the man, she will invest in the relationship, she will touch him and appreciate him and since men are largely physical in nature, that is usually sufficient for the relationship to work. If the woman does not want the man [and I have seen such relationships] it doesn't matter what he says or does, she will not want him. She will betray this in many ways which will make it difficult for the man to see himself as a man, and the relationship will not work.

9. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

This is a thoughtful and considered argument.

10. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I can provide enough alcohol to make her feel that way if it's worth anything...

11. sandy Banned Banned

What makes a man for me is he must be a Christian, Conservative, Republican with honor, dignity, humor and a passion for Jesus Christ. I don't care if he does not look like my ideal man. His relationship with Jesus Christ is the most important thing to me. If he is not passionate about Jesus I will never be passionate about him.

12. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

integrity..they behave according to the values, beliefs and principles they claim to hold.

the opposite of hypocrisy which is the act of persistently professing beliefs, opinions, virtues, feelings, qualities, or standards that are inconsistent with one's actions

13. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

Why, are you planning a threesome?

14. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

Quite frankly baftan;

If you go to any major mega-church .. attend a Singles Meeting
    Roll out a few book and verse during the meeting
    then buy some Key Lime pie at the get together afterwards...
    you'll be getting a bj in the parking lot later.
    and your 3some will be something like this;

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Define 'man'

16. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Christian, Conservative, Republican, huh? That is how you choose a man? Then you fit right in with Bush and Cheney and Rumsfield and all the other washed-up has-beens who no longer serve any purpose politically; they've all been collectively castrated by the Democratic party.

In simpler terms, we should hear your opinion, take the opposite view and be politically correct, right?

17. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I want one of those!

18. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

braveheart or terminator comes to mind

19. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

You want someone who is fearful, aggressive, passionate to a common delusion and expect him to have honor and dignity too? That's a mighty tall order.

20. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

i also felt a need to fight back after reading that. but I figured it was a trap

21. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

A hairy chest is a good start.

22. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

a male human being over the age of 18.

23. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

isn't this kind of irrelevant to you? you already stated in another thread that you would never marry.