What can't be determined with a karyotype

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by horsebox, May 18, 2010.

1. horsebox Registered Senior Member

I came across this question

I know b and d can be seen but you couldn't really see translocations and nucleotide substitutions unless you compared the karyotype to a human karyotype without these mutations could you? As for the sex of a fetus I don't get it. If the karyotype is done on chromosomes from the fetus itself obviously you can tell but otherwise I don't know what this question is about.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Correct.

Yes, you can. An experienced cytologist/cytogeneticist can spot abnormal chromosomes that contain translocations.

At the chromosomal level you cannot determine single nucleotide alterations to DNA sequences. Fluorescence in situ hybridisation (FISH) might be able to determine large scale insertions or deletions in the chromosome spread, but does not have the resolution to determine single nucleotide differences. This would require DNA sequencing or other SNP analysis techniques (eg. DNA melt analysis) to determine single nucleotide changes. So, the answer to the question is (e).

Amniocentesis can be used to isolate foetal cells and enables a foetal karyotype analysis. This allows direct visualisation of the sex chromosomes and determination of the sex of the foetus or determination of trisomy.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. horsebox Registered Senior Member

Thanks a lot.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.