Some Islamic Philosophy I actually agree with! :-)

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Michael, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I came across an Arab Philosopher born in Syria in the 1000s. Right in the midist of the so-called "Islamic" Golden Age. Thus Islamic convention dictates his philosophy be considered "Islamic" Philosophy. [[again, note that I'd say "Arab" Philosophy ... but, anyway]]

I think this guy was on to something. Also, it's good to see that after a period of stability and peace that at least some people in the "Islamic" world tend towards trends we'd all see as familiar. These re-occurring themes across history and culture are something I'm fascinated by.

Anyhow, Islamic Philosophy produced by a sage in the middle of the "Islamic Golden Ages" [aka: Arab Golden Age]

Al-Ma'arri lost his sight at the age of four due to smallpox. He hailed from the city of Ma'arra (المعرة) in Syria (from which his name derives). He pursued a career as a freethinker, philosopher and poet. For awhile he lived in Baghdad and drew a great following of both male and female disciples to listen to his lectures on poetry, grammar and rationalism. One of the recurring themes of his philosophy was the rights of reason against the claims of custom, tradition and authority.

Some interesting observations and quotes of his:

Do not suppose the statements of the prophets to be true; they are all fabrications. Men lived comfortably till they came and spoiled life. The sacred books are only such a set of idle tales as any age could have and indeed did actually produce.

Al-Ma'arri criticized many of the dogmas of Islam, such as the Hajj, which he called, “a heathen’s journey.” One of his poems expresses his views:

They all err - Muslims, Christians, Jews, and Magians:
    Two make Humanity's universal sect:
    One man intelligent without religion,
    And, one religious without intellect.

:bravo:

He rejected claims of any divine revelation. His creed was that of a philosopher for whom reason provides a moral guide, and virtue is its own reward.

The children of wisdom stick more to dreamland than to Arabistan.

This is a person I think many on this board would have felt a deep connection with. Which is why I posted him up.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. takethewarhome midnatt klarhet Registered Senior Member

Haha! How did you end up coming across this guy's work?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.