Gay couple turned away from B&B

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by wsionynw, Apr 19, 2010.

1. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

This happend a few weeks ago but has been getting more coverage here in the UK since the general election is soon and a Conservative MP claimed people running a bed & breakfast should have the right to refuse accomodation to gay people:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8578787.stm

What's remarkable is that the MP in question is well aware of the law yet seems happy enough to claim people of a religious disposition should have the right to make up their own rules in the specific case of people running a bed & breakfast in the house they also live in themselves.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

Political pundit Ian Hislop made a good joke about this issue on his TV quiz show; he said that many of the shadow cabinet members would also be refused by B&Bs if this was the case.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. soullust Registered Senior Member

if they want to turn paying customers away so be it.

i am sure the bed and breakfast down the street will be more then happy to take a paying customer.

People are so stupid.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. siledre Registered Senior Member

well I don't see it as a sound business practice but it is a privately owned business so they can choose to not have paying customers.

8. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: They are ignorant people. I'd say they also lack good business sense.

9. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

Yeah they can choose to turn everybody away if they like but what they can't do is cancel a reservation because the people that made it are a gay couple. It's called the law.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How did the B&B know the couple was gay?

11. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

The woman that runs it with her husband saw the two guys approaching, asked if they had a reservation, checked it and found that they had booked a room with a double bed. She then asked if they were a gay couple to which they replied yes, she then told them they could not stay because it would be a violation of her christian beliefs.

I think the guys are now taking legal action.

If you leave the door open to prejudice like this then where would it stop? Sorry, no blacks, Jews, Muslims, gays, Asians, atheists....not in my B&B!

12. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

first if heard of this but
    A. if she said it was agianst her christian beliefes.. lottery bell DING DING DING they will without a doubt win. discrimination
    B. if she would have said no.. because she has the right to turn away buisness without a reason she should be safe no matter how @%@^ed up it is

13. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

No shit. Discrimination is totally kosher as long as it is the right discrimination.

Being "gay" is now a protected minority that you can't discriminate against. Doubly so if your religion is Christianity.

Much in the same way that people are called racists when they question the Obama administration. Disregarding the fact that people who are against Obama in some cases are African-American.

Well, on "B", it might be true. Until it was discovered that the person was a protected minority.