Mining disaster: Should CEO be charged with murder?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by cosmictraveler, Apr 8, 2010.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It has happened again. A coal company has been fined and given over 500 violations just in the past year. Now that mine had a disaster which it knew about and could have fixed the problems OR shut down until the problems were fixed. The company did not fix the problems and now we have a disaster that could have been prevented. If those in charge knew beforehand of the impending disaster then why shouldn't they be chjarged with at least manslaughter or , to me, murder, for those lives could have been saved if the violations were fixed.

What say you? Charge the executives or just let them get off as they usually do time after time.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

thats why industrial manslaughter laws exist here

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Neverfly Banned Banned

I see opinions, but no facts.

If it can be shown that the execs knew about the danger and deliberately avoided taking action- then I would agree to Manslaughter.

If it cannot be shown such, you cannot claim they must have bought the judges off. In Law, it's far preferrable to let the guilty walk than to imprison the innocent.

I am not stating one way or the other if the Execs are innocent or guilty. I simply have no information to go on.

8. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Facts have been given, wither you want to recognize them as such is another story.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1461461911&play=1

And you can always do your own research.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

this is why unions exist, why goverment departments and agencies like work cover, work safe ect exist. To make sure events like this DONT happen and to procute those who did OR SHOULD have known

10. Neverfly Banned Banned

Whether I recognize them as such is my business, yes.
    Which is irrelevant as I was pointing out that the thread, as yet, contained none.
    Thanks for the link.

Yes, I can. However, those who make claims must support their claims. I need not do work on behalf of others.

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

No but perhaps you should do it for yourself regardless of the source. Just because the "fact" comes from a right wing source does not give it automatic credibility. And just because a "fact" comes from a non sanctioned right wing source, does not mean it is false.

That is why you should always do your own research.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Neverfly Banned Banned

I agree. That's what independent verification is.

Regardless, a presenter needs to support his claim.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Here are the violations:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...7-SGBw&usg=AFQjCNFmfmSFgmMm__TlAimo6BQk62FSqQ

The management all had to know about these violations for they paid off many of them and did fix a few of them as well. They just did not fix all of the violations and they knew they didn't.

14. Neverfly Banned Banned

15. Doreen Valued Senior Member

There are two issues, one general, one specific.....

1) should CEOs B of D's and relevent management be prosecutable when things like this happen? And if so, why does it almost never seem to happen? (why do these things tend to end up in civil court?)

2) in this particular case were some people high up in the company criminally culpable?

I think it should be obvious that question 1 is yes. And then we need to ask ourselves if this actually happens and if they end up serving time when these things actually make it to court. And do their punishments reflect the severity of the crime - compare their sentences to the sentence some regular man or woman on the street convicted of manslaughter receives for example.

Unfortunately, in general, if you kill people in the ways some rich people can and do, you tend to fair better in the court system. And this is not even bringing into play issues like quality of legal representation.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

This mine should be subject to civil forfeiture, since it seems to be an integral part in criminal activity resulting in a hazard to public safety.

17. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I would guess negligent homicide. You might be able to stretch it to involuntary manslaughter, but I doubt it.

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

So the owners of a business that were told that impending disaster could happen if violations were not fixed and deaths could happen, that isn't enough to convict anyone on a manslaughter charge at least? If I were to be the attorney general I sure would try to see to it that those in charge of this mining operation are charged with manslaughter at least and perhaps second degree murder for they knew well in advance that if they did not fix the problems deaths would happen.

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Actually negligence doesnt always require that someone TELL them something is wrong, it can be judged that someone SHOULD have known as well. For instance there are some house owners in Australia at risk of industrial manslaughter charges because they "didnt provide a safe workplace" by checking the work practices of the insulation installers who were putting insulation in there roof when they were electrocuted

20. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Could be, but I doubt anyone will be criminally prosecuted for this event. The executives involved and the company have the best lawyers and politicians money can buy. They even have a supreme in their back pocket. So this goes no where.

21. Neverfly Banned Banned

A supreme in their back pocket?

22. Bells Staff Member

Hmmmm...