Does This Make You Wonder?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by PsychoticEpisode, Mar 27, 2010.

1. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Not that I'm trying to be funny but this is one of my favorites and I do promise this is my last foray into religious mentality. I was going to add this to my growing list of psychoses in Parapsychology but I think it belongs here. Could this have befallen Christ or any number of famous religious figures?

It isn't new by the looks of things. Were the prophets, messiahs, scribes, etc, all afflicted? Is there a possibility that much of current religion owes its existence to the mentally ill?

Wiki

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kennyc Registered Senior Member

Well, it's my opinion that belief in supernatural things is a psychosis anyway. (or at least a survival/evolution factor)

So why not?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

"The afflicted tourist begins to deliver a sermon, demanding that humanity become calmer, purer, and less materialistic.

So this is mentally ill while it's perfectly healthy to dedicate your life to celebrity fascination and the acquisition of wealth?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Neverfly Banned Banned

This is what's known as Cherry Picking.

8. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Kinda reminds me of the miracles at Lourdes or the sightings at Fatima and the power of suggestion.

9. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

How..? :bugeye:

Those are the symptoms of true Jerusalem Syndrome according to the psychologist of that site...

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

On the contrary, imitating great personalities is a classic case of materialism (since it has its root in envy, etc)

11. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Actually I don't think it was

I am trying to remember what the argument implicit in his question would be called. Haven't hit it yet.

It is, essentially, beside the point. Though I laughed when I read it. IOW state of mind's post does not function as a critique of the Jeruselum syndrome as it is used here, but it does function as a meta-critique.

EDIT: and now I have read stateofmind's response and I think he may have a point. IOW the assumption is that the tourists were in a normal state of mind before their experience. How materialistic have we determined one should be to be sane?

12. Neverfly Banned Banned

Perhaps it is in how you worded your comment.

The way I read it was as if to say, "How can preaching calmer, purer and less materialistic lifestyles be called mental illness or afliction when people dedicate their lives to materialism and chaotic drama?"

That most certainly is how it reads.

The reason it is Cherry Picking is because you zoomed in on that one quote while ignoring what makes the symptoms a mental illness in order to refute that it could be illness considering the wisdom in preaching such things in light of materialistic lifestyles.
    See Doreens quoted definition of "Cherry Picking" above.

Perhaps you had not intended it that way and if you meant something totally different- please clarify.

With just that one post to go on, it reads just how I just described it.

13. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Neverfly,
    ah, I see, you meant Cherry picking within the single study. OK.

Though I do think even the whole syndrome, especially in the way it plays out in tourists - where it is temporary AND they know who they are, etc. - makes stateofmind's question a fair one, even if he stacked the deck with what he chose to quote.

14. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Who was Denis imitating?

It only took one and look what he started.

15. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Ah yes, normalcy. That concept that is so horrendously difficult to define, yet people generally like to present themselves as knowing full well the distinction between normal and non-normal, and most of all, that they themselves are, of course, normal.

As for the tourists - What sane, normal person would go to Jerusalem for mere tourist purposes to begin with ...

16. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

He didn't start anything that wasn't already there in those people who went along with him.

There are plenty of examples where one or a handful of people does something - but the majority does not follow. Such as recycling, frugal use of water, electricity etc.

17. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Oh come on.
    What do you suppose is driving the "sense of divinity"?

(On a side note, there have probably been about at least a dozen prominent - and unsuccessful - incarnations of kalki in the past 25 years)

18. Kennyc Registered Senior Member

Well there is a lot of history there -- as confused as it may be....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

nope, it doesn't make me wonder, people with that syndrome exist today but aren't running around as prophets, nor are they recognized as prophets.

better luck next time.

20. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: I think that people who go to these religious sites are spiritually empty and looking for something to fill that gap. I have been to Lourdes and several other religious sites, but I didn't fall in that trap (even when I was a christian). If I went to Jerusalem, I doubt I would end up with the Jerusalem syndrome, but that's just me.

There's got to be some unfulfilled need in the psyche to be caught up in this type of syndrome.

21. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Although I've never been to Jerusalem, I have Jewish friends who have and Jewish friends who go every year. Both have said that it's a stinking nasty, horrible place to go and, aside from the usual bombings, it's not exactly a tourist wonder. There are all kinds of cults, christian and otherwise, who have ended up there, and one literally has to fight them off, because they won't leave you alone, making the actual touring of the sites unpleasant. I won't be going anytime soon. No Jerusalem syndrome for me.

22. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

My point is that the people who went to Jerusalem or some other traditional place of religious pilgrimage, and then manifested the "Jerusalem Syndrome", most likely were not indifferent, religiously neutral tourists.

I am quite sure they went there with some more or less clear religious motive already, so that when they manifested the "Jerusalem Syndrome", I suspect this wasn't something that befell them right there, but was a continuation of something that started already back at their home.

23. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Actually, I think you are the perfect candidate for a "Jerusalem Syndrome".
    All your fierceness and conflicts - they are just waiting to erupt.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!