A "Lost Boy" Has Been Lost...

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Cowboy, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Drug overdose from what I read. He was up to 90 pills a day!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

How about some Windex, Grandpa?

Farewell, sweet prince. Say hello to the night.

I can't wait, I can't wait, no;
    When I see little lights in the shadows.
    One must hide when the sun gets higher.
    I don't know what this madness means.

Here comes the night,
    The bedroom in shadows;
    Candlelights,
    I don't know where it's coming from;
    But I, I keep moving on,
    'Til the darkest thought makes me want to try these wings.

Loneliness pours over you.
    Emptiness can pull you through.
    Did you go to sleep with the light on?
    I can't wait for this feeling to free me.

Wind blows hard, but it doesn't matter.
    'Cause when the sun goes down,
    Nothing else matters.
    The line is where the night lies;
    I will wait outside her window tonight.

(Lou Gramm)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superstring01 Moderator

A loss in the league of Farrah Fawcett. A short, memorable time, and nothing else but embarrassment.

Eh. At least he did "The Lost Boys".

~String

8. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Kinda like Marlon Brando. Aside from The Island Of Dr. Moreau, his career was fairly uninteresting.

9. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Sorry, people, but I have a very hard time developing any sympathy for someone who takes themselves out by ODing on drugs. :shrug:

10. superstring01 Moderator

Indeed.

~String

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Priorities and character

I understand. Some people just don't care about the idea of addiction and what it does to people. For them, judgment and egotism are more important than people. Life goes on. For the living, that is.

12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

No, it's clear that you DON'T understand at all.

It was through their OWN choice that they eventually became addicted. I cannot bring myself to shed a single tear for a fool like that. Both he and we (all) have seen and heard that same old story countless times - yet this fool and the others like him - didn't learn a single thing. :shrug:

13. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The obvious question

So what have you ever been addicted to?

15. superstring01 Moderator

Crystal Meth. Three years. Spent that time dabbling heavily in Cocaine, Ecstasy, Special K, Weed (my least favorite) and GHB. Followed that by several months of heavy treatment at my family's expense.

Final verdict: there are things that happen to us by direct choice and there are things that happen to us because of a failure to choose. Addiction falls into both those categories.

Haim didn't choose to die, he just chose not to avoid the activity that precipitated it. The net result is the same. Sympathizing with an addict does nothing to stop the addict. Nothing my family could have done would have stopped me after my first dabble with drugs (ecstasy, January 1998). The only time sympathy matters is when the addict asks for help. If that never happens, the person has made their choice, no matter how unimaginably stupid.

Ultimately, we all get what deserve when we fail to make good choices. That's a harsh pill to swallow, but there's no other way to look at it. What else should we do? Start making choices for eachother? We aren't hive bugs. We're individuals. Haim made his choice and got what he deserved.

~String

16. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Wow. It's amazing you came out of all that Ok. I've only ever tryed pot a few times and only felt any effect once, which I found unpleasant. I nearly tried cocaine once (I was depressed over a woman and a druggie friend of mine suggested we do some and I said "What the hell!") but the guy's dealer wasn't home. I suspect I would have liked that a lot better than pot. So it's probably a good thing the guy wasn't home.

17. superstring01 Moderator

You might be surprised to know just how many people come through addiction and make something of themselves. I know quite a few who did it "on their own" and just found a way to leave it behind. I suspect that there are more part-time addicts who find a way to grow out of it (though, I was not a part time addict*). But, it's all about choice. I reached rock bottom and asked for help. You have to want it, or you'll never accept it. Losing EVERYTHING (friends, my nice house, car, furniture, health. . . everything) is the best thing that happens to an addict.

The point of desperation and desire to be clean is the ONLY point that sympathy for an addict is actually productive. All other times, sympathy serves only to enable them, and prolong the inevitable. Thankfully I had a wealthy grandfather and a patient and caring father to be there when I needed help. I'm stunned that a guy who adopted me could care so much as to be willing to mortgage the house to bail me out of significant drug debt (and he would have, were it not for my well-connected grandfather).

~String

18. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

That's quite a habit, String. I'm sure it gives you a unique perspective.

Also, what people tend to forget is that some people are born into a situation where "the norm" is to consume mass amounts of drugs and/or alcohol. It could be a prominent drug trade family, a profession like music or acting or, in some cases, an entire town which is arguably the case with Hollywood. Many times the only way to advance yourself with others is to ascribe to the accepted form of entertainment...and also share in the misery, as we've all heard the cliché (misery loves company). If your boss or parent is an addict, they may seek out or even try to create a quality in someone they can be open and comfortable with.
    When you've been raised like this you feel that to change requires turning your back on people you know and love, and possibly burn every bridge you've ever made. If you're the one with all the money it makes the situation all the more ugly.
    An addict doesn't worry about death. Death is the easy part. Living is the hard part, especially with out drugs. That's why many don't see rock bottom coming until they're already there.
    This all has made me think of a good friend that couldn't break ties from his family even though he knew it was killing him to be there Golden Child. Even his own mother came to him for coke and his uncles kept him heavily supplied. Every couple of years he'd stop by and tell me how he hated his crazy life. He wanted out but had nowhere to go. He was the star of his group and everyone relied on him...He eventually did so much coke that the membrane in his nasal passages eroded so severely that one day at home with his kids he began to hemorrhage through his nose, they couldn't stop it and he died.
    He was 28 years old. I'm confident he's in a better place now.

Ishmeal Fonseca, until we meet again, love ya, bro.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Either you're kidding or you're not an American and so are not familiar with his filmography. Brando became famous after his second role, in "Streetcar Named Desire." He won Oscars for "On the Waterfront" and "The Godfather," and was nominated for "Last Tango in Paris." His cameo in "Apocalypse Now" is an icon.
    As merely a non-career Saturday night musician, I understand that in order for an artist to be receptive to his muse, he also has to make himself more vulnerable to his demons than most of us are. They open doors inside themselves that most of us have barricaded so well that we don't even know they're there. Many of them are terribly conflicted people and that conflict is the source of their art.

Many Americans would just sneer at that appraisal and snort, "Then they should just get help." And these are usually the very same Americans who dismiss psychotherapy because of what they see as its low success rate. And many of them are the very same Americans who exorcise their own demons by getting plastered on booze on Saturday night and making fools of themselves while my band is playing--then driving home drunk.

Many people take drugs because they can't find anything else that works, even temporarily. They'd rather live a short creative life than a long one doing mindless work in an office. I've experienced both kinds of work, and believe me, I understand.

20. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I never understood John Wayne's popularity. No matter what the story, no matter what the role, he just got up there and played John Wayne. Just like Charleton Heston.

22. superstring01 Moderator

Me neither. Though I'm a good number of decades separated from him; the man was a racist, misogynist, barely-capable actor in crappy Western movies.

~String

23. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

It was because he had two things going for him. He was a cowboy during a period of time when Westerns were hugely popular. And the other was the honestly of the character he played (with a single exception *very* early in his career when he was a pirate) which was also during a time when honesty was a MUCH more important virtue than is is today.