Suspected shoplifter dies after being detained at California Walmart

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by KilljoyKlown, Jun 5, 2012.

1. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Wow! Walmart problems keep on coming, and I really thought it was safe to go shopping at Walmart again. I'm really hoping this guy had a pre-exsiting condition.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neverfly Banned Banned

The article is so informative, I don't see how we can draw very clear conclusions.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Looks like walmart' s scared. Another lawsuit is in the air.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

They can afford it more than the bad press they'll get.

8. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

True, but I like to get this type of posts started as the investigation takes place.

9. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

I know they can afford it. They are tearing down a old walmart an putting up a super that makes 3 super's an a regular walmart within 40min of me. An I worked at the one they are getting ready to tear down.

10. Neverfly Banned Banned

Can they afford a single lawsuit? Sure.

How much litigation can Wal-Mart handle?

Let's examine the bare bones of this case- Early on and this is a bad idea. Oh well...

Here's the way I see it.

Certain assumptions are being made.

This guy decided, whether he had a pre-existing condition or not, to Steal. He then decided, when he got caught, to get violent.

The way I see it, he was fair game at that point. Now he's dead. Death can be a real waste. Especially if it's for a dumb reason.

But how many folks that would have gotten employment in the field will now say, "Hell with that... I don't wanna get charged for a crime for doing my job and I don't wanna be wrapped up in a lawsuit."?

11. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

We need more information. & more posters.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

13. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Not sure they are allowed to fight with suspects. I would think only a cop can do that.

15. Neverfly Banned Banned

Not allowed to fight with someone who is Violently hitting you?

When things get to that state; It's time to rise up against whoever makes that Not Allowed.

16. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Well that's one way to look at it. But I have to wonder what kind of training Walmart provides to it's low paid security employee's. I'm sure they aren't paid enough to be getting into fights with criminals. If they just let him get into the car and drive away. They could jot down the license number for the police.

17. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

this sounds like the kind of thing which is just going to have to wait for the coronors inquest to hand down its findings

19. Neverfly Banned Banned

If the guy is swinging punches on you, not running off or driving, you're kinda in the fight, pay or no pay.

20. Bells Staff Member

From the link posted in the OP:

Police found the suspect restrained by security workers and appearing to need medical attention, Covina police Lt. Holly Francisco told The Associated Press.

"When the (police) officers arrived, the suspect was being restrained by loss prevention officers," Gomez said, according to the report. "The Covina police officers saw the suspect appeared to be in medical distress and called for paramedics to respond."

Once someone is in that kind of state, they should have called the paramedics instead of restraining him and waiting for police to arrive. Considering he passed away later at the hospital, the security staff should come under some scrutiny as to why they did not get him medical help sooner instead of ignoring his medical distress and continuing to restrain him.

Wal-Mart Stores spokeswoman Dianna Gee says the security personnel have been suspended pending the outcome of an investigation that will include surveillance video and an autopsy to determine the cause of death. It is not clear why security did not call paramedics.

[Source]

21. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Well, there's several questions that raise themselves, actually:

1) What is Wal-Mart's actual security policy? Were these guys following policy when they followed, confronted and restrained the victim? You'd imagine that Wal-Mart spends enough on lawyers that their policies, at least on paper, will be pretty airtight from a legal perspective.

2) Does Wal-Mart actually adequately train its security staff in what the policy is and how to implement it, and does it provide for adequate supervision to ensure that they do so?

3) Suppose these guys are just thugs - was Wal-Mart negligent in hiring them and assigning them to security patrol?

Shit, they probably don't get paid enough to be getting out of bed in the morning.

My guess is that a sensible policy would be to follow shoplifters, and maybe shout "hey, stop!" but not to physically confront them. We will see...

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Bells Ive seen 100s of cases from the US where they will lie on top of someone who is OBVIOUSLY going to need to see the Ambos. For instance after a high speed chase ending in a crash I have seen fooage of the cops litterally pulling the person out of the car and throwing them on the ground and cuffing them with a knee in the back before anyone even thought to call the ambos. In that situation the person should NEVER be taken out of the car until properly assessed unless they do it themselves and even then they should be cautioned NOT to move

23. Neverfly Banned Banned

Follow up:
    http://health.usnews.com/health-new...3/wal-mart-rethinks-its-move-on-deborah-shank

For those curious about what happened to the Shanks.

Bells: My opinion on the matter is that is what happens to thieves, robbers and crooks.
    I do not pity them: Sorry.
    Would you pity a rapist who was in medical distress after a woman defended herself from his attacks? Or should she have just accepted the rape so that he could get away and then describe him, what she saw of him, to the cops?

Asguard: You're probably right that more needs to be known about this.