Difference between Admin, Super/mods?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by aaqucnaona, Dec 22, 2011.

1. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

So what's the difference between Administrator and moderators? And what's special about super moderators that moderators dont have?
    And what is the difference between a registered user and a registered senior user? What's the difference between a warning and an infraction? And is a warning different from the words mods write in red letters telling a poster to stop abusing, etc? Also, why is an infraction not to be made public?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

You're not allowed to know this. They have a secret forum where these issues are discussed. You're not one of the beautiful people.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

What are moderators and administrators?

I believe that one becomes a registered senior user after a certain post count, but I can't recall the number.

Warnings may be public (red letters, often to more than one participant) or private, depending on the moderator. Often infractions are not made public to save face and to maintain professionalism once posts have been edited or deleted etc.

In some cases, infractions have been made public and discussed on the Sciforums Open Government thread, where posters do not feel that their issues have been dealt with fairly.

I am sure there is more to be added to this reply, but this is what I have observed in my tenure of seven months.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

...and sometimes some post their personal opinions up in red just to show that they can do that.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Here are some of the super moderators getting together to practice their slick moves and new game plans.

9. kwhilborn Banned Banned

Super Mods have capes

10. Bells Staff Member

No capes!

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Moderators are responsible for individual sub-forums. Super-moderators have the ability to moderate in all sub-forums.

Administrators can moderate any sub-forum, and can also appoint and dismiss moderators. Admins are also able to do various things to the forum that moderators and super-mods can't do. Those things are generally associated with the overall structure of the forum and how it works.

I think (I'd have to check) that you become a registered senior user after 20 posts. (It might be 100.)

Moderators can post comments any time in threads. Usually they do that when they have done something like deleting or editing posts, or after officially warning or infracting somebody.

An official warning goes on your infractions record as a yellow card that has no infraction points and no ban associated with it. It is what it says - a warning. But there is an official record of it.

An infraction goes on your record as a red card. It gets you 1 infraction point and a ban. The length of the ban depends on your total number of active infraction points. Infraction points stay active for 4 months from the date of issue, then they expire. Having 4 active infraction points at any time leaves you open to being permanently banned from sciforums.

12. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

Did you get that?

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

All bans are listed on the ban list.

Infraction points are currently not visible to everybody. That's not my decision.

14. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Ok. But why should making an infraction public be a reason for being banned?

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Making an infraction public is not a reason for being banned.

16. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Then why did you let prom threaten/ Bully Mister as such?
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=111622

See my posts on that thread [#50,56,60,64]
    And please answer this time [I mean, on that thread you didn't answer].

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

aaqucnaona:

It is 6 pm on Christmas eve where I am right now, so I can't guarantee a quick turnaround on this. I'll get back to you when I can.

18. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Of course. Just remember to reply [at your convinence].

Happy Holidays! I you see Santa, tell him he better get me the super evil death ray and mind control combo.

19. Bells Staff Member

Because the member in question has a long history (distant and recent) of starting a complaint threat each time he received a warning. To say there were many threads would be an understatement.

Prom did the right thing to issue that warning in the infraction.

There is a way to treat a complaint about anything on this forum, including infractions. First you PM the moderator and then if you are still unsatisfied, PM the administrator. If nothing comes from that, then start a thread about the issue. Even with repeated requests he stop posting threads on the same thing over and over again, and stop starting threads each time he received a warning, he completely ignored those requests and would start a thread (sometimes multiple threads) each time..

I guess it is a thing of 'enough is enough'. And Mister/Reiku said himself in the link you provided (check the OP) of his yet another complaint thread:

"I will make a thread on this, just like I do everytime!" ​

He has been warned about this many times in the past and he continues.

20. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member