Volunteer Bans

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Mind Over Matter, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gustav Banned Banned

seems like there aint no shortage of self styled and appointed shrinks tho...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Haw! You get, gus, that I had to respond to Bells and Sam, who took turns bashing me? Plus the minor trolls, some of whom I think are right on this thread, even.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

bashing you?
    seems like they were crying
    as i am doing
    right on this thread
    right?
    right?

/snicker

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Psychologists and psychiatrists help people with their emotional issues via therappy and medication. Anyone can make observations and share them. Nice try at a non seq though.

8. Gustav Banned Banned

dumbfucksci: saquist is in a happy place now!

gussie: how did he get there?

dumbfucksci: he was involved in a trollfest. he was officially warned
    then permabanned. all avenues for a resolution/closure have been sealed off

gussie: those are the circumstances of his departure?

dumbfucksci: yesh! (belch)

dumbfuckgussie: saquist is in a happy place now!

9. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

So give them a hankie, gus.

/sneeeer

10. Gustav Banned Banned

ignoring the intended sarcasm?
    honestly geoff
    you deflect like a little girl

ja
    lil miss fragility

11. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

If only your stature were higher, you could see that I was laughing at you. Take stock a moment, gustav: when exactly have I dealt with you seriously?

Ever?

/distain

12. Gustav Banned Banned

mmm
    a positively freudian protest

/snort

My basic goal would be my exculpation,
    But also, for myself, my adversary's subjugation.
    So word would spread that nothing but complete humiliation
    Awaits the fool who dares to take me on in litigation

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  13. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Gustav, are you a pit bull?

14. Gustav Banned Banned

poodle

/madly wags tail

15. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Personally I would love to hear Katsungs' take on this whole volunteer ban issue!

16. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Yep, you are quite the smart fella!

/gives the dog a bone

17. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Get a room, you two.

18. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Room for me but the pit bull disguised as a poodle gets the kennel!:blbl:

19. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Something like that

re: Crunchy Cat @ #19

As a general note, I should probably disclaim that I'm puzzled by some of our neighbors' response to Saquist's departure. I didn't splinter this thread for the purpose of piling on James, as some have done.

Indeed, though, you are generally correct. In truth, I haven't performed such an examination of causes as you have listed, but they all sound about right.

The reality is that the Sciforums staff actually debated among themselves, a couple years back, regarding whether or not to grant self-ban requests. The issues considered were generally simplistic:

• Why should we have to ban someone on request? Is it not enough that they stop logging in? (See "Addicted").

• Is there some "middle ground" to achieve? For instance, might one simply change their password, offering some random string of characters one won't naturally remember without writing it down? (See "Addicted".)

• If we grant one request for what seems a good reason—e.g., the member's main alternative is to behave in an aggressive manner that might force us execute a ban—what do we say to the next one?​

And so on. While I think "wounded" and "scarred" are important aspects to consider, in the end, I believe "addicted" is the key. Some people can't walk away if they feel they have unfinished business. To the other, staying long enough to finish "Business A" does not preclude the opening of "Business B", which degrades into the proverbial vicious cycle. (See "Addicted".)

As one who has, of late, found many reasons to criticize James R, I honestly can't understand what our neighbors' underlying objection is, or how it would work. From the first time we discussed, in the back rooms, a self-requested ban, the practice has become more popular. Obviously, that's a scalable perception; if we saw a 400% increase in self-requested bans last year over the year before, it actually means we've banned about five people because they asked us to terminate their user ID. But once we granted the first one, which did give us pause for consideration, it seemed reasonable to grant subsequent requests. There is nothing stopping these users from rejoining the community with a comparatively clean slate under a different name.

I recall vaguely one self-requested ban that stemmed from a disagreement with the moderators, but in truth I can't recall who it was, when, or why. In other words, I might be conflating two or more episodes. Still, though, I can say that moderator resignations according to conscience have had infinitesimal effect on administrative outlook, and practically insignificant effect on moderator outlook. A member demanding their own banning for egotistical demonstration in protest of authority is about as futile a gesture as we might find in this community, but, still, I don't wish to discount the "wounded" issue even while suggesting it mostly comes back to addiction, dependency, or some other necessity overriding one's personal will.

I put on my green hat to prevent a thread that I haven't any real enthusiasm or affection for from being distracted by this side issue. Unfortunately ... er ... um, well that's a long list of little things, so I'll skip it for everyone's sake.

Thank ye, CC, for offering the question some genuine thought. I don't know how to say, "It should be apparent to anyone who isn't brain dead," without sounding like I'm insulting you for giving the question some thought. Er ... damn. That still sounds awful, doesn't it?

But, yes, thank you for ... um ... er ... right. I'll just be in the corner, getting high.

:m:

20. Gustav Banned Banned

i suppose this is where one attempts to apply these generalities to the particulars of saquist's case. ja, this is where sci can paint him as a nutjob

if only they were just that

the obvious implication is that you do
    so come on crunchy
    give me the lowdown on saquist

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  21. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Eleven years ago or so I might have agreed with you. My experience on sciforums has led me to understand that what we might think *should* be obvious generally isn't. It's almost as if a good segment of the general public lacks the ability to make a simple observation. At first you think its a form of satire or "playing stupid", but then it hits you like a prismatic spray of buffalo vomit... it's real. So while we're all staring at a circle, there is a segment of the population whom are going to interpret it as a gaggle of blue geese. The most humane thing to do is point out the obvious... "hey dude, that's a circle", and then hope the experience helps them fill whatever cognative gap exists.

Now in the case of Gustav, GeoffP, and James R, that conflict is obvious; however, I'll spell it out because I don't particularly care for buffalo vomit. James R makes decisions that are strongly influenced by his own personal biases and pre-conceptions. One of those decisions was to ban EmptyForceOfChi for calling GeoffP a word that GeoffP considered derogatory. It is what it is. Now enter Gustav... he is wounded, scarred, addicted, and has a personal vendetta against James R. That means his self worth online is tied towards making life on SciForums as painful as possible for James R and any supporting bystandards. A bulk of the content in this thread is a demonstration of this notion.

So what do you do about it? Does anything need to be done about it? Do we tell GeoffP to grow some Cajones? Do we tell Gustav to clear the sand out of his vagina? Do we tell James R to drop the which-famous-dicator-am-I contest? I don't know. I don't know if it's the member's job, moderator's job, or the flying spaghetti monster's job to address it or even care about it. Blah... now I'm jealous because you're getting high and I'm only semi-drunk. Fk this thread... I'm getting a bowl. Have a good St. Patty's day!

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I have requested a review of this thread and Gustav's recent posts, including his multiple insults directed at myself and his general disdain directed at sciforums and its members in general.

Since Gustav's insults and trolling have mostly been directed at me, I am abstaining from the process of judging whether Gustav will remain here or be temporarily banned from sciforums. I will be recommending a temporary ban for continued insults and trolling.

23. Gustav Banned Banned

i was banned for a week for using the word kafir

my general attitude =

my post count...

* Total Posts: 10,121
    * Posts Per Day: 4.26

you make a shitty shrink

insult? where? the analogy? the parody? the political cartoons?

/smirk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.