The Moon does not cause tides: John99 proves science wrong.

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Dywyddyr, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John99 Banned Banned

Are you saying that high tides are always directly under the moon? How is this possible?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Well, obviously, since it's nothing to do with the Moon (as recently proven) it must be gremlins doing it. Or ducks. Or maybe cream cakes in New York bakeries.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, they are directly "under" the moon, and also directly on the opposite side, since the Earth is also pulled towards the moon and away from the oceans on the far side. That's why there are two tides per day. But the highest tides are when the moon and the sun are aligned.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

Let us see the evidence.

Let mea ask you: What points of the earth have ocean tides?

That is why you need to show a scale image that includes the sun...bet you cant produce one.

8. John99 Banned Banned

Excuse me?

9. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

So effectively you're stating that you've made this claim with no knowledge of what tides are or when they occur.

A diagram would prove nothing (the same way your last diagram proved nothing).
    And, as I said, I could create one if required.

10. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I'll give you a clue: it was sarcasm.
    You essentially admitted ignorance on the subject of tides (which merely confirmed what we already knew, but thanks anyway) and I pointed out other possibilities for what causes tides (since you claim to have "proven" that it can't be the Moon).
    I think ducks are a more likely cause than cream cakes, since ducks are notorious for being near water and cream cakes aren't. The connection is obvious.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Who gives a flying fuck how far apart they appear to human beings? Incredulity is not an argument!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are also affected by the gravity of the rest of the Milky Way Galaxy, and that is even farther away. Did you know we are in a Galaxy and that gravity keeps us there?

The orbit of the moon and the tides are connected. This is a relatively simple observation. You would have to suggest an alternate explanation for this coincidence.

The tides are influenced by other factors too, including the Coriolis effect and local geography, but gravity is the main driver.

12. John99 Banned Banned

Of course a diagram will help. I would like to see you try and create a scale model of the earth and sun.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I would like to see you read a book sometime.

14. John99 Banned Banned

Correct.

Gravity of the earth alone: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_of_Earth

Like i said, i cannot comment on the sun yet.

15. John99 Banned Banned

I have read hundreds of books or maybe thousands. I read every waken momnet.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Not enough apparently. Any science books among them?

The gravity of the Earth is constant, but the tides are periodic. Any other theories?

17. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

You seem to think there's some sort of difficulty in doing so.
    Note that I said diagram however, and not model I don't have the materials for a model.

18. John99 Banned Banned

So show a diagram.

BUT you have to prove it is accurate and why would you need to make one. I think your talking out of your a**.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What difference does a scale model make? Gravity acts over long distances.

20. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

John99: draw a diagram of gravitational lines of equipotential between the earth and moon, then show that these have no effect on the tides.

Shouldn't be too hard, except you will need to refute Laplace and Newton, which might be tricky.

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Moderator note: Jonh99 has been banned for 3 days for telling lies about scientific facts, and for going back on his word to "prove" his anti-scientific theory when he said he would do so.

Deliberately spreading disinformation about scientific facts goes against the entire ethos of sciforums and will not be tolerated.

---

It is only reasonable to require people proposing "alternative" theories to challenge well-established scientific facts to provide some evidence or argument to support their wild claims. Advancing a wacky theory with no intention of ever backing it up amounts to trolling.

22. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Here:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Earth being the tiny little dot on the left.
    BTW it was so difficult that it took me all this time (since my last post stating I could do one) - and that includes installing the CAD package. Hardly, er, rocket science.

Prove it's accurate? Measure it.

How did you "prove" your diagram was accurate? Oh wait, you didn't.

Because you repeatedly requested one?

Wrong. That's your forte.

Edit: yes, you asked for the Sun/ Earth/ Moon. The Moon doesn't show up at this scale. For reference the scale (of the original) is 1mm to 1,000 km. Available as a DXF file for a moderate fee.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  23. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Haahaa Haahaaaaa haa ah I needed a good laugh! Thanks John.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.